Profile for J. Boyle > Reviews

Book of Beauty: Anthology
Book of Beauty: Anthology
by John Hadfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifelong Favourite, 22 Sep 2013
I've loved this book since I was a child in the Fifties. There are six in the series. Absolutely gorgeous, as my wife would say.

Anonymous Sources
Anonymous Sources
by Mary Louise Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuclear Pleasure, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Anonymous Sources (Hardcover)
Simple truth: I read this with pleasure and at speed. It's a real thriller with more twists than barley sugar stick
Any book that can combine red-heads with gin and bananas is for me. Please publish it on Kindle in the UK soon. There are a lot of people waiting for it...

By the way, Gemma Arterton should play the lead in the movie.

The Overhaul
The Overhaul
by Kathleen Jamie

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mature Artist in Full Flight, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. Share it with as many people as you can. Jamie has become a poet that I seek out. Each volume of her poetry shows gains in both creativity and technique.

Close Range: Wyoming Stories: v. 1 (Wyoming Stories 1)
Close Range: Wyoming Stories: v. 1 (Wyoming Stories 1)
by Annie Proulx

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding writing, 17 April 2012
Proulx has complete mastery of "voice". She is able to present character not only through action but through diction and accent in each of her individually created Westerners - men and women. I rate her the best since De Maupassant excepting only her magic realism lapses. These are not fragments of action or thought but complete vignettes from convincing fictional "witnesses.". Her power derives from her ability to report through each "voice" ,that she validates for us through brilliant, individually differentiated verbal styles
We are not learning lessons or inferring moral precepts in these stories; we are listening to what we accept as real people as they fall through their lives. No sentimentality in her work but there is room made for the reader's response to characters who become people - and matter. Proulx doesn't present Nemesis, she lures us into sharing personal disasters and leaves us dazed and reflective rather than better educated about life. She is a thrilling writer.

Glasgow's Grand Central Hotel: Glasgow's Most-loved Hotel
Glasgow's Grand Central Hotel: Glasgow's Most-loved Hotel
by Jill Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, good value, 17 April 2012
Fascinating social history with additional interest for those who know the Hotel directly or lived through any part of the period. Wide range of interest from press photos of celebs to interviews with veteran hotel staff and revealing history of the village whose remains lies beneath the Central Station. I bought two: one for me and one for my sister.

Have a Nice Day
Have a Nice Day
by Justin Webb

5.0 out of 5 stars A Case Well Made, 15 Sep 2008
This review is from: Have a Nice Day (Hardcover)
I bought this book to read the work of a respected former colleague. Webb himself is a first rate commentator with an acute mind and a warm conversational style. This book demonstrates all three of those characteristics. It makes the unfashionable case for America in a way that is clearly thought-out and well illustrated with intriguing examples.
This is the sort of up to date material that should be in every college library. Justin Webb, he tells us right away, is partisan: he enjoys life in America. Have A Nice Day, however, is an argument rather than a eulogy. Sit down, pour a whisky and enjoy this argument with one of the BBCs senior editors.