Profile for Nickki Thompson > Reviews

Content by Nickki Thompson

Nickki Thompson (Nairn, Scotland)

10 Gourmet Madagascan Vanilla Pods (Vanilla Beans)
10 Gourmet Madagascan Vanilla Pods (Vanilla Beans)
Offered by Vanilla Mart

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality vanilla pods, 11 April 2015
Fast delivery, great service. Vanilla pods were lovely quality, much better than the supermarket brands I've tried in the past. Will be ordering again .

Kitchen Craft Master Class Non-Stick 12 Hole Friand Pan
Kitchen Craft Master Class Non-Stick 12 Hole Friand Pan

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality tin, perfect Friands!, 11 April 2015
Brilliant heavy duty, good quality tin. I can finally make perfect Friands! They fall right out of the tin, no sticking. A good purchase.

Facebook Pages Manager
Facebook Pages Manager

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work!!!, 11 April 2015
This review is from: Facebook Pages Manager (App)
I was reluctant to give one star! Waste of time. The app doesn't work! It won't even let me open my page...lots of people experiencing the same issues, please sort it out!

Feast: Food that Celebrates Life
Feast: Food that Celebrates Life
by Nigella Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars My cookery bible, 19 Jun. 2014
My original copy of Feast is absolutely battered - the front and back covers are missing, the spine is ripped and the pages are splattered with chocolate and butter stains. It's the cookbook I turn to again and again - it is packed full of recipes that suit any occasion. For a very long time now I've been searching for another hardback copy of Feast to replace my very well used one and I was delighted to find a very reasonably priced second-hand copy in excellent condition.

Feast is beautifully presented, with gorgeous pictures and has clear, easy to follow recipes. I adore Nigella's written introduction at the beginning of each chapter. I never tire of reading it.

Here are just a few of my favourite recipes from Feast:

Chocolate fruit cake
Chocolate Guinness cake
Old fashioned chocolate cake - one of the best chocolate cakes I've made
Andy's Fairfield granola
Tagliata with rosemary and garlic potatoes
Passionfruit curd
Ritzy chicken nuggets
Rigatoni all forno
Chocolate cherry trifle

In my eyes Feast is a true classic. I wouldn't want to be without it.

Jo Wheatley - Home Baking
Jo Wheatley - Home Baking
by Smith & Gilmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winning home baking book from Jo!, 12 July 2013
I loved Jo's first book Passion for Baking and this new one doesn't disappoint at all. When I sat down and read it from cover to cover, I knew it was going to be another winner. I couldn't wait to get into the kitchen and bake! I find Jo's recipes and tips very inspiring. You won't find recipes demanding obscure, impossible to find in supermarkets ingredients here which I love. The recipes look stunning but most importantly achievable. The book is divided into the following chapters:

Biscuits, bars and cookies

Bread and scones

Cakes

Baking with children

Crumbles, tarts and pithiviers

Quiches, pasties, pies and savoury puddings

Quick and simple

Special occasions

Supper Bakes

Teatime treats

My copy is butter splattered and flour dusted already but I think (I hope!) Jo would be quite happy to hear that. Here is what I've made so far...

Raspberry red velvet cake - This is the gorgeous looking cake on the cover - and it tastes as amazing as it looks! Now just to add, you won't get the normal brick red velvet colour here - it's more of an darker, earthier colour due to reducing the amount of red food colouring and using pureed raspberries in the cake batter. A very clever trick! Not that the colour will be on your mind anyway when you take a bite of the finished product! I actually made this when Jo posted the recipe on her website last year and I'm so pleased it made its way into the book because it is a really stunning recipe. One of the best cake recipes I've made over the past few years.

Honeycomb bars - addictive! Whenever I make a batch of these they never last very long.

Chilli chocolate cookies - I was so intrigued by these because I have never tried chocolate and chilli together. They really are so good - love the warmth you get from the chilli! When I took a batch of these cookies into work my colleagues raved about them.

Banana, pecan & butterscotch cake - delicious! Love the combination of banana and butterscotch.

Anzac cookies - my boys gobbled these up in no time! Yummy.

Oaty fruit squares - my favourite recipe from the book so far. They are very yummy. I used up the dried fruits I had in my cupboard - dates, apricots and strawberries. Probably the nicest oat/flapjack bars I have ever tried. I will bake these all the time! Perfect for lunchboxes and keep well.

Lemon and white chocolate muffins - love the flavours in here. I had half a punnet of raspberries that needed using up so I threw them in to the batter. Lovely.

There are many more recipes I will try soon, including peanut butter blondie pie, honey madeleines, lemon, white chocolate & macadamia bombs and parmesan and pesto fantail loaf to name a few.

Home baking is shaping up to be as well used as Jo's first book Passion for Baking. Well done Jo on another fantastic book and I can't wait for the next one!

Review adapted from my blog cookiescakesandbakes.wordpress.com

A Passion for Baking
A Passion for Baking
by Jo Wheatley

5.0 out of 5 stars My Baking Bible, 12 July 2013
This review is from: A Passion for Baking (Hardcover)
I loved Jo on The Great British Bake off. She was so lovely and down to earth. Her confidence seemed to grow each week and she produced some really stunning baking. When she was announced the winner I was over the moon for her. I grew so obsessed by the show that no-one in the house was allowed to talk while it was on!

So now Jo's book is finally available and let me tell you, it was so worth the wait. I've fallen in love with it. It's beautifully written with tons of gorgeous pictures and I want to bake every single recipe. It is divided in chapters including breakfast, brunch, baking with children, biscuits and cookies to mention a few. I particularly like the family baking chapter. I can already see that many of these recipes will definitely become family favourites.

The book is divided into ten chapters - Breakfast, Brunch, Family Baking, Afternoon Tea, Celebration Bakes, Baking with children, Breads, Biscuits and cookies, Pastry and Desserts.

Here is a rundown on what I've made so far:

Peanut butter and white chocolate cookies - fabulous. So easy and quick to make but perfect for cookie monsters young and old!

Chocolate, Cardamom and Strawberry swiss roll - This is absolutely divine. The nicest swiss roll I've ever tried.

Raspberry torte - Absolutely beautiful. I've made this several times when I have friends coming over, it is so quick and easy to make.

Oat and raisin cookies - A favourite in our house, lovely and chewy on the outside and soft in the middle!

Chocolate Mud Cake - One of the best chocolate cakes I've ever made. I used this recipe when I was asked to make a chocolate wedding cake. It stood up to sugarpasting extremely well. I have also used this cake recipe for a rocky road cake (you'll find the recipe on Jo's website), Areo Bubble cake and a chocolate orange cake.

Blueberry muffin loaf - Very nice loaf cake and bursting with fresh blueberries in every bite. The crumble topping is lovely.

Blackberry & apple loaf cake - Really moist and tasty. Like the blueberry loaf cake, this has a crumble topping which is pretty delicious.

Mini banoffee pies - One of my favourite recipes from the book. The banana mousse is scrumptious, I can eat far too many of these!

White Chocolate Tiffin - I made these recently for a charity bake sale, it went down a storm!

Cheese & onion chutney scones - Love these. I make them all the time and keep some in the freezer. These scones make your house smell amazing while they are baking! Lovely with soup.

Mini pizzas - my boys love making these. So much better than shop bought pizzas, they tell me!

Raspberry iced buns - These are so good. A real treat! I never thought I'd be able to make these successfully, but they aren't difficult.

This book has become my baking bible. For me it is right up there with Nigella's How to be a domestic goddess as my favourite and most used baking book. If you love to bake I can't recommend it highly enough.

Part of this review is from my baking blog cookiescakesandbakes.wordpress.com

Sugar and Spice: Sweets & Treats from Around the World
Sugar and Spice: Sweets & Treats from Around the World
by Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning book, a sweet tooth's dream!, 3 Jan. 2013
I loved Warm Bread and Honey Cake so I couldn't resist ordering Sugar and Spice. Especially after knowing it was dedicated to sweet treats! It was more beautiful than I imagined. Packed full of diverse recipes from all corners of the globe, it really does have something for everyone. It has recipes for toffees, truffles, nougat, honeycomb and pretty little sponge cakes. I want to make everything in this book! There are some familiar recipes like Scottish tablet (which takes me right back to my childhood) and some I've never heard of before like Indian milk sweets. I'd normally be quite hesitant to try the more unfamiliar recipes, but Gaitri's clear and precise methods and warm writing style take any hesitation away. So far I have only made the macadamia nut brittle (absolutely gorgeous!) but I know this is a book that will be very well used in my kitchen. The next recipe on my list to try is the divine chocolate squares. I would recommend this book to anyone.

Cookies!
Cookies!
by Pippa Cuthbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous cookie book, 4 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Cookies! (Paperback)
Fantastic book, if you enjoy baking cookies this book is a must have! The chocolate mint cookies are gorgeous