Profile for New Mum > Reviews

200 Assorted Self Adhesive Acrylic Gem Stones in assorted shapes and sizes
Offered by Vesey Arts and Crafts
Price: 7.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not self-adhesive, 4 Mar 2013
Wish I had read the previous reviews as I needed them to be self-adhesive, for a party activity. But they are not. However, I did not pay the full price advertised here, so did feel they were worth using with glue. Perhaps the same product appears in a different entry on Amazon, at the lower price. Would've given them 3 stars if the description had been correct.

The Young Atheist's Handbook: Lessons for Living a Good Life Without God
The Young Atheist's Handbook: Lessons for Living a Good Life Without God
by Alom Shaha
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 9 Jan 2013
Most of what I could say about this book has been said in the reviews already submitted. I will only add one personal thought, that I found it literally inspirational.

Potty Training Boys
Potty Training Boys
by Dr Caroline Fertleman
Price: 4.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Dec 2009
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
Agree with all the positive reviews already here. My 3 year old son is very strong willed as well as sensitive and the all-out approach was never going to be on the cards. This book helped me get into my son's head as well as understand his physical development. We started the process a few months ago with no pressure 'potty time' and now he frequently decides for himself that he wants to wear pants; something I would never have believed possible before we started. We have had very few accidents and his confidence has grown steadily along the way. Can't recommend this book enough.

Secrets Of The Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect and Communicate with your Baby
by Tracy Hogg
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, balanced philosophies and advice, 15 Oct 2007
Although this book is fantastic, in my opinion, it seemed incomplete and left me with many questions. Then I discovered that they were all answered in the follow up book "Baby Whisperer solves all your problems" - so I highly recommend getting them both. They are an easy read - quite well written.

Tracy Hogg understood babies (past tense as she sadly passed away in November 2004). Her guide to a newborn's cries helped me survive the first few weeks of my baby's life.

Please don't dismiss this book if you've heard it's all about strict routines. It's up to you whether you follow her E.A.S.Y. routine; I for one found it really helpful, it has worked for my little boy. Tracy emphasised that a routine is not about time slots - it's not a schedule - it's just about providing a little structure, that your child could thrive on, and you some sanity.

Some of her philosophies and methods - taking the baby's perspective - to help teach your baby the vital skill of independent sleep - worked 100% for us. Although it meant a lot of physical hard work for me at times, they were much easier than, for example, letting my baby cry, or rocking him to sleep.

I believe that with all these types of books, you need to take out of them what seems logical and helpful to you and your child, and not fret about ignoring anything that doesn't seem right for you. For me in this case, that was the weaning advice.