Profile for Brian Robinson > Reviews

Content by Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson "Brian the Rhetaur" (UK)

How We Invented Freedom & Why It Matters
How We Invented Freedom & Why It Matters

5.0 out of 5 stars A book full of answers!, 23 Jan 2014
What a high-handed conceit that title appears to be! It is almost as if he challenges himself to justify it.
This is essentially a history of the Anglosphere, that loose association of peoples that is bound by the English language, a common heritage, and so much more. Hannan explains how serendipity and Anglo-Saxon bloody-mindedness forged a particular type of freedom that became the envy of other nations who could never quite understand it. It was exported around the world by migration and colonialism. The more you read the more you appreciate how precious it is.
Not for the first time, it is in danger - not least from complacency. That is why it is important to understand why it matters.

Blockade Runner
Blockade Runner

4.0 out of 5 stars Blockade Runner, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Blockade Runner (Kindle Edition)
It's difficult for me to be dispassionate, because roughly a thousand years ago in Dorset I was at school with the author. Accordingly the voice of K-L D, as we called him, sings out of every word...in the unbroken tones of a boy: it's slightly bizarre. I came across the book by accident, spotted the unmistakeable name and plunged. I really enjoyed it! I understand what a previous review has said with respect to the soft-edges of the romantic interest; but I found that, by dint of contrast, it hardened up the edges of the action elsewhere. The action is good, and well set in the historic and geographic background. I lay no claim to authority on either of those, but it had the feeling of authenticity. The book ends a little abruptly, almost as if the author had set himself a maximum word-count and had to bail out in a hurry. This is exacerbated by his having burdened us with foreboding. We have been forewarned that hens have to come home to roost, yet when we are already within sight of home the bloody birds are still merrily pecking around the farmyard. Indeed had he omitted the last page or two he could have primed us for a sequel, which I should have enjoyed awaiting.

The Counterfeit Guest (Mary Finch)
The Counterfeit Guest (Mary Finch)

4.0 out of 5 stars The counterfeit guest, 6 Dec 2012
The counterfeit guest. A good read. Well researched and funny as well. really am Looking forward to the next one.