Profile for ally_uk > Reviews

ally_uk

Dark Souls II (PS3)
Dark Souls II (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Here We Go Again :), 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls II (PS3) (Video Game)
I am a Souls Veteran played the death out of both Demon Souls and Dark Souls and had fantastic times with both games. What can I say about Dark Souls 2 one word epic!

Now ignore the 1-2 star reviews this game is frustrating and is challenging but this is the Souls series you come to this series expecting your ass to be royally kicked. That is fundamentally what makes the Souls Series what it is!

You have to take your time with these games and learn each area is a learning curve, And when you finally conquer your foes there is no better gratifying feeling that this series produces.

Yes this game is tough yes this game with drive you mental! but this is the beauty! If you can't handle that or expect the devs to water down the game-play or add a noob / pussy mode it wont happen!

Everything about this game is spectacular the mysticism when you first enter the hub of the world the sense of anticipation of exploring the world and expecting the unexpected around each corner is immense.

I can myself easily playing the first play-through with 60+ hours

Loving it so far right up there with Demon Souls and Dark Souls can wait for the next true next gen title in the series :)

The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction
The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction
by William E. Shotts Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, 13 Feb 2014
New to Linux? Taking the plunge? Buy this book you will not regret it. Excellent introduction in plain English! Which gently introduces you to the command line and gradually builds up your confidence. I have read quite alot of books on Linux and the usual beginners books and manuals drone on and miss the point that the intended audience have zero Linux experience.
The author has done a fantastic job I especially enjoyed the chapter on BASH scripting finally a resource that explains it in plain English.

Please make future editions and add new stuff I'm sold :)

The Official Ubuntu Server Book
The Official Ubuntu Server Book
by Kyle Rankin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 13 Feb 2014
Didnt really enjoy this book at all I thought it was seriously lacking, Luckily I picked up a used copy. The main problem I have is the book just doesn't flow well and just as you are getting to the meat and potatoes of trying to configure something you are told to consult a man page? Tell us something we don't know. The services section I found to be really lacking you can find better documentation for free online.

Next version of the book make a cook book style approach with labs for beginners.

I didn't really learn a great deal from this the writing style is very dry.

Just my honest opinion I will be using the Ubuntu forum and community documentation for future reference

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
Offered by Game Dealz

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, 30 Jan 2014
Take everything that made the Final Fantasy Series great and destroy it, This game is horrendous the battle system sucks and there is no exploration it's like being on auto pilot.

rubbish game

Linux Bible
Linux Bible
by Christopher Negus

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Linux Bible (Paperback)
It's a big book :) very informative and approachable unlike the majority of Linux books out there you will not be bored to tears when reading this. Content is plenty and covers a diverse range of topics absolutely ideal if you are new to Linux and want to get hands on.

Please be advised though the book focuses more on the red hat derivatives

A fantastic resource Negus has done a good job! I will be buying future editions

If you want to learn more about administration and setting up securing server related stuff this book is awesome :)

Centos 6 Linux Server Cookbook
Centos 6 Linux Server Cookbook
by Jonathan Hobson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic resource, 30 Jan 2014
I picked up this book recently and wow what can I say finally a easy to follow approachable book on Linux. I like the flow of this book, The recipe approach is awesome And I have gained alot from it

Alot of Linux books out there waffle on to much / bored you to death or just over complicate matters by breaking down the topics the author has done a great job in explaining services and how to secure your server.

Fantastic addition to anyone who is a Red Hat user subject matter is approachable with a recipe approach if they release another edition with more content I will buy :)

This one is a keeper!

CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102
CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102
by Roderick W. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't flow well at all, 30 Jan 2014
I couldn't get on with this book at all in all honesty reading it is like watching paint dry, The author just skips around to much bombards you will commands and switches with out proper explanation, The book is also seriously lacking in exercises. I can see alot of people who are new to Linux putting put off by reading this.

A better approach would be a recipe book complete with labs and exercises and with easy to follow explanations to much waffle and not approachable if you are new to Linux.

Hence the two stars

Battlefield 4 (PS3)- Limited Edition
Battlefield 4 (PS3)- Limited Edition
Offered by Global Xpress

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this!, 3 Nov 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I got into the Battlefield games with Bad Company 2. I played the death out of BC2 and Battlefield 3 and I guess took a gamble on Battlefield 4 was it the right decision?

Well where to start there is no way to put it this game is a unfinished mess. The multiplayer is horrendous the console just doesn't handle it well at all. Firstly the graphics are rubbish I'm talking worse than Battlefield 3. They are so bad it effects your judgment simple things like draw distance are awful, and working out if you are shooting the enemy or a bush is a frequent occurrence.

The bugs are all there are we still in beta here? Awful hit detection it takes a whole clip to kill somebody? And they kill me with one bullet? Soldiers disappearing, vehicles disappearing then there is the lag when anything technical happens then there is the freezing of your console this is a regular occurrence it's like the PS3 is throwing in the towel and admitting defeat :)

Then they have created these massive maps with hardly any action? Surely the more logical approach would of been to make the maps smaller, scale it down from the Next gen version and actually focus on getting the mechanics right?

This needs to be patched badly and tweaked. There are to many flaws to justify the price if your considering purchasing you will be disappointed this version of the game should not of been released it is a embarrassment to the Battlefield series I will be selling and boycotting future titles. Read the battlefield 4 forums and you will see how bad this game is.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2013 3:45 PM GMT

Dark Souls (PS3)
Dark Souls (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Game Of This Gen For Me :), 18 Jan 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dark Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
Loved Demon Souls played it to death, As for Dark Souls well what can I say if you are after a game that is challenging and is a throwback to how games used to be i.e difficult that actually kicks your ass from time to time (think mega man series on the nes) Then this game is a absolute buy. Sure alot of people are moaning that this game is to hard but that is the whole point. The game can be punishing you have to take your time with it and understand that you cannot just rush in and own everything well unless you are me of course :)

I didn't like Skyrim although it's great the world was huge I found the game to be a walk in the park. I reverted back to Dark Souls and didn't look back. For me the challenge is what makes this series it wouldn't be Souls with out epic difficulty :)

Ignore the cry babies on here who are saying this game is to hard, Clearly they were not raised in the era when you had to have skills to play games :)

10/10 my fave RPG of this gen hands down
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2014 4:49 PM GMT

Arrietty Deluxe Collector's Edition - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Arrietty Deluxe Collector's Edition - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Hiromasa Yonebayashi

5.0 out of 5 stars One Beautiful Film :), 4 Feb 2012
Watched the Blu Ray of this tonight was blown away, The art work is beautiful and enchanting, Storyline was fantastic and I was blown away absolutely superb cannot wait until I sitdown and rewatch this will live on as a classic the soundtrack is also very good :)