Profile for C. J. Tyler > Reviews

Content by C. J. Tyler

C. J. Tyler "cjtbrocco" (England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Becoming the Perfect Gentleman
Becoming the Perfect Gentleman
by Zach Falconer-Barfield

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor man's Debrett's, 1 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's nothing to dislike strongly here. There's plenty of humour mixed with good advice. I was relieved that it was not yet another American dig at British stuffiness. I suppose it could really help someone who has no idea how they are expected to behave. I found the presentation rather dull. Debrett's Etiquette and Modern Manners does all this so much better - humour and a much wider range. A redneck stock car champion could comfortably meet the Archbishop of Canterbury after studying Debrett for an evening.
At least this book will probably appeal to a wider audience so may have a wider audience than Debrett. Worth reading but there is better guidance elsewhere.

Logitech K480 Multi Device Bluetooth Keyboard for PC, Smartphone and Tablet (QWERTY) - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, 1 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This does what it says - allows you to use a keyboard linked to a mobile device or even several devices at the same time. It can be fiddly to connect. Typing is fine, although the keyboard has a retro look and feel which might not appeal to someone used to a modern keyboard. It's quite clunky and noisy, there is no way to adjust the angle at which a device sits in the slot above the keyboard and navigation on any device is very difficult to master. I gave up after a few days and now only use it for bulk typing, like this review. If that's a large part of your use of the connected device, this could be the solution you need. Having seen some of the keyboards you can get to link via Bluetooth, including those built into a case, I'm disappointed. Linking to multiple devices works well, but I'm not sure how often I'll use that with the devices synchornising so easily anyway. The batteries were dead on arrival.

The Evolutionist; The Strange Tale of Alfred Russel Wallace
The Evolutionist; The Strange Tale of Alfred Russel Wallace
by Avi Sirlin

4.0 out of 5 stars I like my history straight and really don't like historical fiction ..., 1 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wasn't sure about this book before I started it. I like my history straight and really don't like historical fiction or enhancing history with fantasy to fill in the gaps. This book is nothing like that. It was gripping from beginning to end although disappointing on the evolution work of Wallace and how that related to the work of Darwin. I will need to read elsewhere to get any understanding of that. For me, a great pleasure was to find that he wrote extensively on Malaya, where I will be going for my son's wedding in February, so that's exciting and a great coincidence.
The 2 pages on Wallace discovering love are worth the read alone. There was a tear in my eye.
Well worth the read, to meet something of the character of a great thinker. I now need to find a biography.

Paperama
Paperama

4.0 out of 5 stars Limits of device, 14 Nov 2014
This review is from: Paperama (App)
Accuracy of tablet's detection of ginger position and movement make this an occasional frustrating game. Fun for getting your eye in for something more pleasure but not addictive.

Oral-B Trizone 4000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Trizone 4000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy Sonic companion, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a longterm Philips Sonic toothbrush user so found the rotating and swivelling head of the Oral-B Trizone bulky, noisy and quite uncomfortable in the mouth. However, with practice it's possible to be as gentle as with the lighter Sonic and get excellent cleaning results. If anything it's slightly easier to get to the back of your jaw effectively as the brush moves in several directions. The warning light which flashes when there is too much pressure on the head is useful to prevent damage. I'm finding alternating with the Sonic provides a good quality clean.

The noise is quite alarming, especially compared with the quiet bozz of the Sonic, but other members of the household haven't complained so perhaps it's all in my head.

Philips Shaver Series 3000 with CloseCut Blades and Flexing Heads HQ6986/16
Philips Shaver Series 3000 with CloseCut Blades and Flexing Heads HQ6986/16

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now I know why Philips are the electric shaver kings. I've been using a Wet/Dry version of this shaver for several weeks but have never found it comfortable (or very effective) for more than a few days at a time. Although the 3000 has the same CloseCut blades as the Wet/Dry version they seem much sharper and product a very close shave with no soreness, no nicks and no need for expensive creams afterwards.

A charge lasts several days, it's quiet and a good solid build. I'm expecting it to last well. Very highly recommended.

U.S. History For Dummies
U.S. History For Dummies
by Steve Wiegand

4.0 out of 5 stars Dummies and US history?, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another exemplary "... for Dummies" volume. If you've never really understood how the Constitution remains so important and the shadow of the Founding Fathers looms over contemporary America, this is a great help. Plenty of diagrams and maps make this a comfortable read. Ideal background for "The West Wing". Not a difficult read and great at making the complex straighforward.

Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
by Antonio Carluccio

4.0 out of 5 stars Stand by your pasta machine, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some wonderful recipes here. I've been looking for an easy homemade pasta recipe as my daughter bought me a machine for Christmas. Finding a recipe which includes vodka (which I have often added to fish recipes and salad dressings) inspired me. I'm now a dedicated pasta maker. It's much more satisfying and quicker to cook than the shop-bought stuff. Beautiful photographs which look like the meals you produce from the recipes. Recommended.

Fitflop Men's Monty Boatmoc Leather Boat Shoes, Tan, 9 UK
Fitflop Men's Monty Boatmoc Leather Boat Shoes, Tan, 9 UK
Offered by SOLETRADER-OUTLET

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable. I usually take weeks to get used to ..., 28 Aug 2014
Very comfortable. I usually take weeks to get used to a new shoe but have worn these for 3 days now and walked about 10 miles in them. Can't feel any effect i can attribute to the Fitflop design. Love the boat show design and the flat sole. Highly recommended.

A Working Faith in an Age of Science: science and religion in harmony
A Working Faith in an Age of Science: science and religion in harmony

3.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile reminder, 23 Aug 2014
Whilst there's nothing here that I have not found elsewhere this is a useful combination of explanation of some science and where that leaves faith. It's reassuring to know that a career scientist can maintain a living faith.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20