Profile for A Clockwork Android > Reviews

Content by A Clockwork An...

A Clockwork Android (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent tablet for the money, superior to the iPad Mini, 3 Aug 2013
I got this a good few months ago to replace my old first generation iPad and I've been using it ever since.

I love Android and this tablet runs pure AOSP, which means it's Android straight from Google with no modifications, and since this is a Nexus it gets updates straight from Google as soon as they're released which is awesome. Of course, you can also easily install custom ROMs, and I currently am running CyanogenMod on it which I'm very happy with.

The screen size on this tablet makes it very easy to use compared to bigger tablets, especially during typing, and also makes it a lot more portable - I can even fit this thing in my jeans pocket. The quality of the display is 720p which is very reasonable for watching films on the go. The audio quality is reasonable but it can skip sometimes. The battery life is a bit behind the iPad but it's smaller and can still go for days on a single charge so no real complaints.

Downsides? Although Android has a lot of quality apps, there are not as many tablet optimised apps for Android as there are for iOS, which means a lot of the time you will just be using bigger versions of phone apps. For a device with a screen of this size, this is no major issue, but it is something to be aware of. And, over time, this tablet will begin to slow down and lag, and you will begin to notice this. It's not terrible but it is noticeable. The new 4.3 update is said to fix this but this has yet to be seen. The reason for the speed problems is the type of memory used. They did have to cut a few corners to make it this cheap after all.

If you are buying today, I would recommend the new Nexus 7 which is faster, has a better screen, and a camera on the back. But as for my experiences with this model, I have been very pleased with it. The occasional lag is something I deem to be acceptable from such a good budget tablet. It's still very usable and I've enjoyed using it and I probably will continue to use it for another year or so.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2013 5:30 PM BST

Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - White
Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - White
Offered by Kudos Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars The best phone I've ever owned, 3 Aug 2013
I've gone through a lot of phones. iPhones, BlackBerries, Palms, HTCs, and Samsungs. Each has had their own ups and downs but this phone has been the best of them all.

The phone I owned directly before this was an iPhone 4. This is of course a very outdated device by today's standards and I was pretty eager to get shot of it. Needless to say, the Galaxy S4 is a massive step up. So far I've been using it for a week, so here are my impressions.

The screen on this is beautiful and it's full 1080p HD, yes that's just like a modern TV, and actual HD content plays wonderfully too; it can also act as a remote control for pretty much any TV; the Android OS is very good these days and on this hardware it's blazing fast; Samsung's additions - unlike the additions added by most manufactures to Android - are actually very cool and useful, if overwhelming; there are a lot of settings which let you customise everything to your liking; some of the gesture based stuff, although gimmicky, can be genuinely useful if you take the time to set it up to your liking; the camera is brilliant; the internet over the phone network and WiFi is very speedy and it even comes with LTE; and the bootloader is unlocked so you can easily root and/or flash custom ROMs if that tickles your fancy (so far I've not felt the need to on this phone).

The only downsides I've observed so far are minimal. First off, the battery life has been pretty bad, but since charging the battery a few times and fiddling with the power saving settings, it has improved noticeably. It's worth noting that new batteries often show sub-par battery life until they've been cycled a few times, so this is not abnormal for any new phone. Second, the massive screen is amazing, but because it's so big and there's not much space on this phone to simply rest your hands, you will probably find yourself accidentally pressing things a lot as I did. This should be alleviated by the right case however.

But aside from that? Everything is brilliant. I wouldn't recommend any other smartphone on the market today, this thing absolutely kicks the crap out of the iPhone 5 no question. If you want a high end smartphone that can do just about anything you will not be disappointed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2013 6:53 AM GMT

Palm Pre Smartphone - UK (Unlocked)
Palm Pre Smartphone - UK (Unlocked)
Offered by eHome

5.0 out of 5 stars A very underrated phone in its time, 28 Dec 2012
This phone was better than any Android phone and on par with the iPhone when it was first released. It's a shame Palm was never able to successfully market and sell the Pre or any of its successors. The OS is beautiful as is the hardware, I hope the Open webOS project leads to more commercial webOS phones.
Comment Comment | Permalink

LG 8110 - 3 - Pay As You Go
LG 8110 - 3 - Pay As You Go

5.0 out of 5 stars 2013 - still works!, 28 Dec 2012
So I found one of these in the attic, charged it up, put a SIM in it, and it still works! More than I can say for my one year old HTC Sensation. Obviously you shouldn't actually buy one of these in the 21st century, but I wanted to note how pleasantly surprised I am with the lifetime of old phones. They don't build 'em like they used to...

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars All geeks must have this!, 27 Dec 2012
I like tinkering with Linux, so I was trying to get a cheap old desktop or laptop to do that on. But then I remembered about the Raspberry Pi and thought, why not get a new computer built specifically for the purpose instead?

So I got my Raspberry Pi including a bunch of important accessories. Although the computer itself is under £30, you will need to fork out a bit extra for other important things. For WiFi, you need an adapter. I got the Asus N10 which works very well. Then, since it only has two USB ports, you need a powered USB hub. Since what you get is literally just a bear circuit board, you'll probably want a case for it too. And, of course, you need the right power supply. And a memory card for the OS. And an HDMI cable.

Once you've kitted it out and booted it up, you get a step by step screen for setting it up. You'll want to expand the rootfs at this point so you can use the full storage on your SD card. You can probably skip the locale settings since it's on UK by default, but I went through it just in case. Then you can choose to overclock it without voiding the warranty, which I think is awesome. I just went for the moderate 800MHz option (which works very well) but you can go up to 1GHz, although that may not be stable on your chip - it differs between each individual piece of hardware. As I understand it, the kernel should govern the CPU so it dynamically changes clockspeed depending on what's required from it. So if you're doing something CPU intensive, it should push it to whatever top speed you set (800MHz in my case), but if it's just standing idle it should drop to about 300MHz. This means it's not constantly overclocked, but it will overclock if it needs to be overclocked.

Something I noticed is how damn fast the thing is. I watched some videos on YouTube of people setting up and using their Pis after ordering which had me a bit worried about speed, but I'm guessing they were filming the old model with 256MB RAM because my 512MB model flies on the standard Raspbian OS. It boots faster than my £1,000 MacBook Pro! Web browsing is very reasonable too. I just used the included browser, I tried to get Firefox installed but I couldn't make it install, although I understand it does work if you build it from source, which I'll try later.

It outputs at full HD if you use HDMI on a full HD TV or monitor and it decodes 1080p content too. I've not actually played 1080p content on it yet (I tried to use YouTube but the default browser doesn't support flash or HTML5 so no dice until I make Firefox work), but I hear it works well. VLC can be installed straight from apt-get but it doesn't work great in my experience. Omxplayer works very well and comes with Raspbian but you'll have to use it from the command line. I was able to play every SD video I tried on it, but I've not tried HD yet.

As a device for learning your way around Linux and experimenting, you can't really get any better for such a low cost. You can overclock it without voiding the warranty, you can install a variety of Linux distros, and there are even work in progress ports of Android, Firefox OS, Chrome OS, Open webOS, and other similar projects. Once these are fairly stable and usable I will certainly be trying them out.

If you want something to buy as a project, or for programming, or to use as a makeshift server or whatever you want, this device is awesome.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2013 10:56 PM GMT

Asus USB-N10 - 150Mbps Wireless Lan USB Adapter. 802.11n, MIFA antenna, (Win 7,Linux,MAC OS 10.6), 3 Year Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Raspberry Pi, 27 Dec 2012
I got this specifically for use on a Raspberry Pi as it has official Linux support (it says so on the box) and it was reported to work well with the Pi on the forums and so on. I was not disappointed! If you plug it in while the Pi is booted, it will reboot itself without warning (on the Raspbian image at least), but then it works straight away. The performance is fast and reliable and I'm very happy with it.

Samsung UE22D5003 22-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview
Samsung UE22D5003 22-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price!, 2 Oct 2012
This TV is very good for the price. It's easy enough to set up, all the basic features work fine, it's LED and full HD, and after a month of use I'm still vastly happy with it.

There are however one or two little issues. The main problem for me is that, although the display on this TV is 1080p, the built-in Freeview tuner does not display HD TV, but only standard definition. You can still view HD content if you plug in a Freeview HD or Freesat HD box, PS3, Blu-ray player, Apple TV, or something else that has an HD output, but I dislike that Samsung have omitted a built-in HD tuner in this TV.

Although there is a USB port on the back of this TV and Samsung claim it has "connect share", it's useless in my experience. I've tried connecting three USB drives to it and the TV doesn't even recognise they exist. Even if you do manage to get the port to work, the TV will only display photos and play music via USB, it will not play any video format. You can only play videos from a hard drive via a bridge, like a PS3.

A quick note about sound, since a lot reviews for this TV seem to find fault with it. I have no problem with the sound at all. It's only in a small bedroom and it is a little quiet at times unless you turn it right up, but in general use I've found it perfectly reasonable.

Finally, this isn't unreasonable for such a cheap TV, but there's no smart features and internet access here. Again, hook up a PS3 or Apple TV and there's no trouble, but none of that stuff is built into the TV.

Overall, this is a TV with its fair share of faults but for this price, and especially considering it's 1080p and 22 inches is a good size for this price point, I'll happily recommend it to anyone on a budget.

TRIXES Black Micro 2 Port USB 2.1A Car Charger Splitter Adapter for iPod iPhone iPad Mobile SatNav
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Aug 2012
I got this to use for a road trip holiday and it was excellent. I was able to change an iPad and an iPod at the same time just as long as I plugged the iPad into the top USB port. The devices got enough power to change properly and the charger never let me down once.

10/10.

HTC Sensation Sim Free Mobile Phone (discontinued by manufacturer)
HTC Sensation Sim Free Mobile Phone (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME phone, better than my iPhone too, 22 Jun 2012
In it's own right, this is an amazing phone. Compared to the iPhone, it just blows it out of the water.

The first thing you'll notice is the screen. If you use this for just a day then take another look at an iPhone, you'll realise just how tiny the iPhone's screen really is. I had always thought big screens on phones were nothing but a gimmick, but no, it really adds to the experience and makes the phone a joy to use.

Now for the power, because this thing has a better CPU and more RAM than the iPhone 4S and boy does it show. On HTC Sense ROMs you may notice small wait times now and then but that's it - compared the iPhone 4 it is, again, a massive improvement.

On CyanogenMod 9, which is what I run on it, it just flies! Granted, CM9 is still in beta at the time of writing, but it's very stable regardless and IMO it's far better than the default HTC ROM. I highly recommend taking some time to learn about rooting, S-OFF, and custom ROMs then flashing CyanogenMod 9, it will drastically improve your experience with any Android phone really. CyanogenMod also provides much better battery life than HTC's software.

I've been a lot of complaints about faults here in other reviews, but I guess a few people just got unlucky. Mine feels solid and works fine. If down the line I get the headphone problem, I know I just need to buy a new back case for £5 to fix it anyway so I'm not too worried about that.

I would certainly recommend this phone to anyone without hesitation, it's an amazing piece of kit with a whole host of amazing apps and it just kills the iPhone stone dead. My iPhone feels like a toy compared to this, there's no looking back now.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars Twilight fan fiction with the names changed, 17 Jun 2012
This book is LITERALLY - and by literally I mean this is actually what happened - Twilight fanfiction with the names Edward and Bella changed to Christian and Ana. That is it, and it should be all you need to know.

If you want good BDSM erotica (and everyone involved in BDSM mutually agrees that this book is a terrible potrail of it), there's better stuff both in book and Kindle form here on Amazon and in simple webpages on community websites for free. If you're just looking for a laugh, then yeah, this'll provide quite a few even if they're just down to the terrible standard of writing, but don't expect to actually read quality literature if you purchase this, because you just won't.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5