Profile for O. Hansen > Reviews

Content by O. Hansen

O. Hansen "IT Architect" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Hoya 77 mm Pro ND 100 Filter
Hoya 77 mm Pro ND 100 Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly optical glass, well recommended, 18 Dec. 2015
Got this after having spend a lot of time researching cheaper vario ND filters, although this is not variable ND at least it's proper optical glass and the test pictures look great. If you are confused about what I'm talking about, google this exact phrase: "problem with cheap nd filters"

DSTE® 2pcs NP-F550 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery for Sony NP-F550, NP-F330, NP-F530, NP-F570
Offered by QiaoJL

5.0 out of 5 stars Work well, using them with an Amaran H538C video light., 18 Dec. 2015
Work well, using them with an Amaran H538C video light.

Zomei Z669C Professional Carbon Fiber Light Weight Travel Tripod Camera Tripod Monopod Kit & 360°Quick Release Ball Head with Carry Case for Camera Canon Rebel Nikon d3200 Nikon d5300 ect
Offered by YESART

5.0 out of 5 stars Very lightweight, impressively sturdy, 18 Dec. 2015
I'm very impressed with this tripod, I've tried it with a Canon 6D and 100-400mm zoom and I love it. The ball head is surprisingly smooth, and the tripod is tall enough for me to stand up normally and use it. At 1.5kg it weighs half of my ancient Velbon aluminium tripod but it's a bit taller and much more compact when folded down. The only product improvement I could propose is the bag which looks nice, but is too tight and the draw string is guaranteed to break one day. But that's a very minor problem...

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT work with non-Yongnuo transmitters, poor fit to camera, poor build quality. BUT works perfectly ON the camera., 12 Nov. 2015
I thought this would be a good upgrade for my Canon 580EX II after having bought my 6D, but unfortunately it was not. First impressions:

1) the fit to the camera is really poor, I can feel the flash wobble quite a lot as I tilt/move the camera. Although electrical connectivity is fine, the wobble is a worry since eventually something is more likely to break (camera hotshoe or flash foot). The Canon flash fits snugly with minimal wobble.
2) The build quality was noticed as soon as I tried to get the batteries in. Again, on the 580EX you close the battery door with a thumb and it clicks in place. On the Yongnuo you have to force it. Again over time I can very easily see a battery door broken.
3) But the killer for me was that with the Yongnuo you can't use any external flash triggers apart from Yongnuo's own, or Canon's. I tried in a studio setup to use it on manual with an Elinchrom EL-Skyport trigger, but the Yongnuo would not trigger at all. The Canon triggers perfectly. I tried several different combinations of cables (two different hotshoes, the PC-sync port directly on the Yongnuo etc). Everything triggered the Canon fine, but not the Yongnuo. Call a Canonian photographer friend, get his flash and another make of triggers over, exactly the same. The Canon flashes (his and mine) trigger fine, the Yongnuo not. So if you plan to use it with other triggers than Yongnuo's own (and Canon's of course) then you'll probably be out of luck.

With regards to the last problem, on the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT trigger there is a "legacy" mode that allows it to work when not attached to a Canon (i.e. in any hotshoe). That setting is missing from the flash unfortunately.

All the above - bad enough for me to return it. But that said, if you're willing to accept the lower production quality, and will never try to use any non Canon/Yongnuo remote trigger, then fine. I think the price is awesome, when it's on the camera it works great, but it just didn't work for me...

Logitech M525 Wireless Mouse - Blue
Logitech M525 Wireless Mouse - Blue
Offered by The Toy Aisle

3.0 out of 5 stars Small (bit too small for me), doesn't track on glass, middle button/scroll wheel not very good, 23 Oct. 2015
I bought this to replace a faulty Anywhere MX and I wish I had got another Anywhere MX instead. It's narrower but taller than the old mouse and really doesn't lie as nicely in my hand. So if you have big hands, this probably isn't the right mouse for you.

Also, it doesn't track on glass. "What's the big deal" a lot of you will say but I travel a lot and lots of public places/hotels/cafes have glass surfaces on their tables. So, gotta whip out a magazine or newspaper to use the mouse on in those cases...

TP-LINK TL-WR710N Universal Wireless 150 Mbps Pocket Travel Router/Range Extender/AP/TV Adapter
Offered by BESTBUYIT

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - hellish to get to work, stops working, loses settings, WPA2 switches to "Open", 22 Sept. 2015
Unfortunately I bought this while travelling and not from Amazon, so no way to return it. So it's been put where it belongs, in the dustbin. At least it was cheap at less than £20.

I bought it to test out two use cases, an extender at home or to create a standalone routed Wi-Fi network when on the road. Initial impression was it looked great, and the setup procedure seemed simple enough. But after that it went all downhill.

I could never get repeater mode to work. I got WISP mode to work, except it would drop out and have to be restarted. I thought I could use access point mode instead of repeater mode, which seemed to work. Inbetween these mode changes all settings are lost, very frustrating. The final straw is attached - after a while in access point mode it again dropped out and I started getting warnings that my connection through it "was previously joined as WPA/WPA2 Personal, not Open"! That's when I decided to rip it out - not worth risking my network on this...
Comment Comment | Permalink

Huawei (Genuine UK Spec) Unlocked E5377s-32 150 Mbps 4G LTE Mobile WiFi Hotspot (black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little device, worked with Vodafone, EE and Three., 18 Sept. 2015
This is a very impressive little device and I love it despite some niggles. It's dead easy to set up and I have tried it with Vodafone (my regular mobile provider), EE and Three. I get full five bars of a 3G signal with all of them, despite the fact that I live quite far from the mobile masts. The internal antenna obviously is better than in my Sony Xperia phone.

With an external antenna (search Amazon for "35DBI 4G antenna") I can get a 4G signal (one bar) and 10Mbps down/3Mbps up speeds. That beats my BT broadband 2.5Mbps/448Kbps hands down. Not seen yet how well it performs with a pure 4G signal.

Experience is that EE by far is the best network with constant performance, Vodafone is OK, and Three is, well, up and down. But that's my local area and yours will be different.

Niggles - well Wi-Fi is dead solid on the 2.4GHz band but I have dropouts every 1-2 hours on the 5GHz band that last maybe a minute or two, even with the device in the same room. You can only select one band at the time so I've chosen 2.4 because of that. I also don't like that the Wi-Fi password is displayed in clear on the display. It can only support ten devices which probably isn't a problem for most people, but worthwhile keeping in mind. I was also hoping to be able to connect it to Ethernet but the USB Ethernet adapter is nowhere to be found. I also haven't been able to insert a Micro-SD card (looks like the holder should be flipped out but mine is stuck rock solid, not candidate for a return yet though).

Apart from that, very pleased, this review is actually posted over it...

The external antenna

35DBI 3G 4G LTE TS9 Antenna HUAWEI R212 MF93 E392 E398 E3276 E5372 R215 E8278 Router Mobile Broadband
Offered by A1techstore LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well with a HUAWEI E3276s, 13 Sept. 2015
I have tried this with a HUAWEI E3276s-150 USB 4G modem, and it definitely works. Without it I get 1-2 bars (3G), with it a full five bars, as long as I point it out through the window towards the mobile mast. It's thin, lightweight and 15x15cm square, so pretty compact. Cable is 180cm long so check whether that will be long enough, since it definitely wants to point out of a window... The suction cup can be re-arranged so that it can be stuck to the window or the window cill.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but Mac installation painful, 12 Sept. 2015
It's a pain to install on a Mac (haven't tried Windows), in fact the Mac driver software that's stored the stick itself doesn't install, and you have to download it from support.huawei.com - search for "The tool and guide of HiLink AutoRun(for Mac10.10)". If you search google you'll see that this is a common problem... But once you have the right software it works very well, I only get a 3G signal where I live and achieve download speeds of around 3.5Mbps. Note that I haven't tried it under Windows yet.
Comment Comment | Permalink

OP/TECH E-Z Comfort Strap for Camera/Binoculars - Black
OP/TECH E-Z Comfort Strap for Camera/Binoculars - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for heavy DSLR, probably fine for lighter cameras/binoculars, 4 July 2015
Maybe two stars is too low, but the picture makes it look like it's wider than it is and the product description only contains the length. Anyway I got this to replace the standard red and logo-ed Canon 6D logo strap (rather be plain black and anonymous) but it's not really suited for a heavy-ish 6D/24-105mm combo. Also, it's more slippy than the original, there's too much stretch and the strap is narrower than the standard strap so no improvement in comfort. I'm not unhappy with the strap itself though but will probably re-use it for a 450D.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6