Profile for Mrs. Ann M. Spicer > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Ann M. Spicer

Mrs. Ann M. Spicer "boglethedarkangel" (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Shakespeare: Twelfth Night (Globe on Screen) [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Shakespeare: Twelfth Night (Globe on Screen) [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Mark Rylance

5.0 out of 5 stars Twelfth Night at The Globe, 2 Oct 2013
Rylance's Olivia is one of the great comic performances of our time - someone else said this in an earlier review - I couldn't put it better. Stunningly good performances all-round. They should use this version in schools. Never seen Shakespeare performed so accurately, yet accessibly. Marvellous!

Narrow Minds
Narrow Minds
by Marie Browne

5.0 out of 5 stars Never mind the narrow minds - here's to freedom, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: Narrow Minds (Paperback)
Another truly fabulous book from Marie. This details the next stage in their life (getting back) on the river, following on from debut novel/memoir 'Narrow Margins'. I loved this - the arrival of the new puppy ... Sam standing up to Charlie ... Marie's almost painful anecdotes about the narrow minded people at the start of the book ... the sheep torpedo (I completely lost it for a while at that bit - ain't laughed that much in ages!). I was a bit worried when everything finished on such a happy and contented note that we would no longer hear from Marie, Geoff and the menagerie ... but I have a sneaking suspiscion that there will be another volume of riverside tales before too long ... fingers crossed

Beat The Reaper
Beat The Reaper
by Josh Bazell

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for those of gentle persuasion, 25 May 2010
This review is from: Beat The Reaper (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. Especially the hugely informative and at times utterly hilarious footnotes throughout. The guy who wrote this clearly has a medical background, and some passages I had to read with one eye closed as they were so gruesome. The cover art brought me to this book in the first instance (the devil-shaped blood bag, complete with horns and a tail), and although mafia/hitman storylines are not my usual cup-of-tea, this one was a satisfying departure for me. Would be interested in hearing continuing tales of Bearclaw Brwna.
Oh good lord - I've just seen it's going to be a film with Leo deCraprio in the lead - ugghhh - Noooo - he is NOT rugged and butch enough for Bearclaw... oh well ... we'll just have to wait and see

Mona Lisa Smile
Mona Lisa Smile
Offered by cd_lp

4.0 out of 5 stars makes me smile like mona lisa, 16 Dec 2009
This review is from: Mona Lisa Smile (Audio CD)
As soundtrack albums go, this is quite excellent - I would quite happily play this just for kicks. I actually bought it for the Macy Gray version of Santa Baby. The only songs that don't quite fit, to me, are Elton John (too modern and upbeat) and the Tori Amos tracks as her voice is slightly too sharp-edged. Still, I like it a lot and have it playing in the office today!

Narrow Margins
Narrow Margins
by Marie Browne

5.0 out of 5 stars My 'Book of the Year', 9 Oct 2009
This review is from: Narrow Margins (Paperback)
This gets my personal 'book of the year' award - I LOVED it - funny, smart, enlightening, entertaining, hilarious, insightful ... I finished the book a week ago, and now I'm missing my daily boat-anecdotes ... Marie - get the damn sequel out soon - I wanna know what happened next! My only complaint is that this book has left me desperately wanting to make some sort of major life-change myself, and I know damn well that living on a boat is NOT for me ... time to re-think my existence.
Seriously though, this is an excellent and infinitely readable book, telling a heart-warming tale that makes you reassess your life just as Marie, Geoff, Charlie, and Sam have. I shall be buying multiple copies and leaving them in my works' staff room, and giving them away as pressies to friends and family. Everyone needs to read this book!

Supernatural - Fourth Season Part 1 [DVD]
Supernatural - Fourth Season Part 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jared Padalecki
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Supernatural heaven, 18 Feb 2009
One query - "The Complete Fourth Season, Part One" .... Hmmm - well it's not COMPLETE then is it ...?

Think I'll wait for the proper complete box while the powers that be sort out their stupidity at product promotion....
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2010 10:56 AM BST

We Wish You A Metal Xmas
We Wish You A Metal Xmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent Night, Holy Crap!, 11 Dec 2008
AWESOME just doesn't begin to cover it - this is UTTERLY FANTASTIC ...
AT LAST! A proper full-on HEAVY METAL Christmas Album
I cannot stop grinning - this is totally TOTALLY brilliant - do yerself a favour and get this CD now!!!!

Apparitions  [DVD] [2008]
Apparitions [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Martin Shaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Apparitions, 1 Dec 2008
This review is from: Apparitions [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Seriously the best tv I've seen in a l-o-n-g time. Speaking as an agnostic, I find intelligent and in-depth religious dramas fascinating and thought-provoking. This ticks all the boxes and the acting is superb. Effects are good, but not recommended for anyone of a nervous disposition - the horror can be very gory, even when only 'implied' (and off-screen).
Bloody marvellous stuff - It's about time the BBC put out more quality drama like this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2010 1:31 PM GMT

Spooks: Complete BBC Series 1-6 [DVD]
Spooks: Complete BBC Series 1-6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Firth
Offered by BIG Bargains

1.0 out of 5 stars poor value, 21 Oct 2008
Excellent tv series .... astonishingly poor value boxed set of all series ...both the 1-5 box and the 1-6 box are terrible value compared to buying the individual series'. Daftest marketing ploy EVER
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2010 11:01 AM BST

ReGenesis: Season One [DVD]
ReGenesis: Season One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Outerbridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Stuff, 20 Sep 2007
This review is from: ReGenesis: Season One [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this out of curiousity when it got fairly cheap! What a find! Desperately want the next 2 series' now!! This has not made it onto Terrestrial TV in the UK as far as I know - why not??? it's excellent - well filmed, truly marvellous characters, fascinating and up-to-the-minute plot-lines. Wanna go and shout it's praises from the roof-top! Beats most US 'crime/detection' dramas hands down - Can't recommend it highly enough! Well done, Canada.

Page: 1 | 2