Profile for D. L. Nixon > Reviews

Content by D. L. Nixon

D. L. Nixon (Newcastle Upon Tyne, England)

Women Who Did: Stories by Men and Women, 1890-1914 (Penguin Classics)
Women Who Did: Stories by Men and Women, 1890-1914 (Penguin Classics)
by Various contributors
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Collection..., 30 July 2011
This is a lovely collection of stories, definitely would recommend to anyone who enjoys literature or even just good stories!

A Weekend With Mr Darcy (Austen Addicts)
A Weekend With Mr Darcy (Austen Addicts)
by Victoria Connelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't take itself too seriously...Just like dear Jane!, 11 Oct 2010
Anyone who picks up a Jane Austen spin-off style book and expects works of immense literary genius is expecting a bit much as far as I'm concerned. But anyone who picks one up expecting a bit of light enjoyment, some gushy romance and a gentleman or two with tight fitting trousers will not be disappointed! There isn't much in the way of character development or stunning descriptions of rolling english hills in 'A Weekend With Mr Darcy' but to be honest it doesn't need all that to make it a good read! I picked it up at a train station as something to lighten my journey and it certainly did that!

Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle)
Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle)
by Christopher Paolini

4.0 out of 5 stars The story makes up for any faults!, 1 Oct 2008
Having read the previous books in the series I was eargerly awaiting the next installment and I was not dissappointed by the content!not quite as gripping as Eragon but not also not half as slow-paced and self-pitying as Eldest!Personally I feel that Paolini has found a good mid-ground in Brisingr story-wise...but it is not without its faults. I find Paolini's writing style a bit of an issue still, he has definately improved since his first adventure into the writing world but i find that he tries too hard as if to impress his readers with imagery that to me seems forced. However, I LOVE the way the story has progressed, how Eragon has grown as an individual, the Big revelation, the very emotional death and even more!I couldn't book the book down and, to be honest, i didn't until I'd finished at 3am!!!!despite the few issues, a fantastic story!!