Profile for StaffordshireBookworm > Reviews

Content by StaffordshireB...

StaffordshireBookworm

How to Produce Music: The Ultimate Guide to Music Production (for the Beginner)
How to Produce Music: The Ultimate Guide to Music Production (for the Beginner)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Sept. 2014
A really useful guide to starting up in music production. I found the sections of buying the right studio equipment extremely helpful.

The Big Home Improvement Decision: Tear Down and Build New?  Or Modify my Existing Home with an Addition or Remodel?
The Big Home Improvement Decision: Tear Down and Build New? Or Modify my Existing Home with an Addition or Remodel?

5.0 out of 5 stars A great overview of the pros and cons!, 15 Sept. 2014
This useful little book gives an overview of all the things to take into consideration when you are thinking about major home improvements. It outlines the pros and cons of either extending your existing home or knocking down and starting from scratch. There are some scenarios given where the second option proves more cost effective than the first, which was a surprise to me. The author gives a comprehensive overview of the many different things to consider before making a decision - many of which I hadn't thought of. The parts I found particularly helpful were the explanation of how to work out potential return on investment (ROI) and the section on tax liability. Don't embark on expensive home improvements until you've read it!

TravelJohn Disposable Urinal - 3-Pack
TravelJohn Disposable Urinal - 3-Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars life-changing for ladies!, 14 Sept. 2014
I really can't say enough good things about this product! They have transformed our camping trips (no more undoing a thousand zips to visit the toilet in the middle of the night) and mean I can go on long distance walks without having to worry about the lack of facilities. I was skeptical about whether they would be all that practical for women to use but they really are simple and mess-free. I wish they had been invented years ago!

Roald Dahl: 10 Phizz-whizzing Audiobooks, 29 CD Collection
Roald Dahl: 10 Phizz-whizzing Audiobooks, 29 CD Collection
by Roald Dahl
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to these fantastic stories!, 13 Sept. 2014
I bought these CDs for my 8 year-old son. He is a reluctant reader but, having loved Roald Dahl's books myself when I was a child, I was eager for him to become familiar with these stories. He absolutely loves them and since listening to them, wants to read the books as well.

The brilliance of the stories goes without saying. The actors chosen to read them also really do the stories justice. Kate Winslet as the awful teacher in Matilda is particularly good!

Online Privacy and Internet Security: How to Maintain Privacy on the Internet and Protect your Money in Today's Digital World (Cyber Security, Internet Safety)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 13 Sept. 2014
I bought this book as I regularly use the internet and shop online but only had a hazy idea of the security issues involved.

I found the clear, concise style of this book really user friendly. The author sets out by explaining the different ways your personal information can be misused by cybercriminals to either broach your personal privacy, damage your computer or steal from you. The book then provides a guide to the major security pitfalls that unwitting internet users can fall into. Some of the areas covered include how to protect your passwords and the dangers that may lurk in pop-up ads, hyperlinks and even search engines. I personally found the advice on what to look for in an anti-virus program particularly useful as this was an area I was confused about. Having read this book, I have made a number of changes to my surfing habits and privacy settings. I highly recommend it to others who may be surfing the internet with little thought of the potential dangers involved.

Createspace and Kindle Self-Publishing Masterclass - 2015 Second Edition: The Step-by-Step Author's Guide to Writing, Publishing and Marketing Your Books on Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars A great investment!, 12 Sept. 2014
As an author who had already published on Kindle and CreateSpace, I bought this book largely for its marketing tips. Although happy with the quality of my product, I knew my lack of marketing 'know how' was letting me down. I found Rick Smith's sections on writing product descriptions and researching key words invaluable. The book was also really useful in explaining how to optimize a handful of marketing strategies without having to spend half of your life on social media sites.

The book is concise and well-written, proving that Rick Smith follows his own good advice to 'Edit, Edit, Edit.' For those who are venturing into self-publishing for the first time, it would be a really useful companion, taking you step-by-step through both the KDP and CreateSpace production processes.I would also wholeheartedly recommend it to those, like myself, who have published already but feel they need to raise their game in some areas.

Postcards from Puffin: 100 Book Covers in One Box
Postcards from Puffin: 100 Book Covers in One Box
by Puffin
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, 18 Oct. 2013
These postcards are beautiful. The illustrations brought back memories of many happy hours of childhood reading and reminded me of some brilliant titles that I had completely forgotten about. I have ended up framing some of my favourites as they are too nice to use.

Smashwords Style Guide - How to Format Your Ebook (Smashwords Guides 1)
Smashwords Style Guide - How to Format Your Ebook (Smashwords Guides 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 27 July 2013
As a complete technophobe, I was dreading the formatting process of my ebook, but I followed the process step by step, as the guide suggests, and it was surprisingly straightforward. It was especially helpful for thinks like linking your chapter headings to the title page which was really clearly explained.

61 Ways to Sell More Nonfiction Kindle Books
61 Ways to Sell More Nonfiction Kindle Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 27 July 2013
Refreshingly well-written in comparison to many 'how to' kindle books available. I liked the author's emphasis on writing the best book you can and then giving it the best chance in the marketplace. As someone who isn't very marketing savvy, I found it invaluable as it gave a lot of tips that I would never have even thought about.