Profile for K. Box > Reviews

Content by K. Box

K. Box "whereami?" (Worcester,England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
LIVE WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR FRIENDS
LIVE WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR FRIENDS

4.0 out of 5 stars The Mule kick botty again, 25 April 2015
It's Government Mule. Proper rock and blues. Great musicians, good stuff. Great guests. Mainman ex-Allman Brothers. Say no more. Exceptional. I'm a fan. Would you have guessed?

The Blacklist - Season 1 [DVD]
The Blacklist - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Spader

2.0 out of 5 stars Haven't I seen this episode?, 25 April 2015
I was expecting to like this a lot more. The first few episodes were promising before it settled into a repetitive re-hash of those first few.e.g.something happens,James Spader knows who did it,and may even be behind it. He'll annoy the police and frustrate the leading lady,who is probably his daughter. Her husband could be a bad guy - or is he? Next episode the same as the last one. I had the box set but have given up. Too tiresome to plough through any more,let alone entertain another series.It ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Game of Thrones - Season 4 [DVD] [2015]
Game of Thrones - Season 4 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Peter Dinklage

5.0 out of 5 stars What next, I wonder?, 25 Feb. 2015
Glad I got the box set from Sainsbury's. Cheaper than elsewhere. No streaming required. Some reviews a bit negative, but you can't please everyone. I think it's a great series if you are happy to suspend disbelief and take it for what it is. Fantasy but with a clever conglomeration of the sort of intrigue that has dogged these isles over the centuries. Violent ,yes. But look at what they did to Richard the Third. Hacked to death then stabbed in the arse for good measure. Didn't someone do that to Gaddafi? Rape and pillage. We've had that from the Norsemen. Dragons? Not sure about them, but the Welsh seem to like them. Well scripted for the most part. Complex. Why not? Baylish? As Machiavelli said in "Il Principe" , keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer. Like the Lannisters then.....

O Shudder
O Shudder

3.0 out of 5 stars I shuddered, 25 Feb. 2015
This review is from: O Shudder (Audio CD)
Oh dear. As soon as I saw "their most accessible album" I new it wouldn't be as good as their previous three. They've turned into a quirky pop band, and that clever math element has faded away. Shame. I don't like this anywhere near as much as the others. Often happens that the most interesting new bands slowly become less interesting by losing that originality and adventurousness that set them apart. Very sad.

Lost Loves
Lost Loves

5.0 out of 5 stars minus bear plus music equals quality, 20 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Lost Loves (Audio CD)
I've been into this band for years and seen them several times when they've toured the UK. This could have been a mistake putting out outtakes from the past 4 albums or so. Instead it has worked and for me reflects their earlier sound ,which I prefer. Their sound is not easy to define really - intelligent lyrics, good melodies, light and shade, tricky bits, loud and soft, pop and rock. Great band who have yet to put a poor album out.

Simon Evans - Live At The Theatre Royal  [DVD]
Simon Evans - Live At The Theatre Royal [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Does he have any eyes?, 20 Feb. 2015
Simon Evans has been on the circuit a while now. He has a gifted sardonic wit, some brilliant comic timing turnarounds where a positive is swiftly turned into a negative and vice-versa. I've seen him live and this pretty much reflects what he does. Not much swearing or toilet/bodily function ,tiresome old drivel. Witty , educated and above all, very funny.As comedians should be.

The Possession: Uncut Edition [DVD]
The Possession: Uncut Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeffrey Dean Morgan

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't possess this,I rented, 20 Feb. 2015
One of your reviewers gave this one star and said "crap". No explanation as to why, so no idea what they think is great. I suspect that what they think is great , some may find crap. It's a view. Nothing else. I thought this was pretty good for a film of this type with some decent acting, partcularly the younger sister who became possessed. we'll have to watch her. Remember when the Fanning sisters first came to our notice? Look at them now. Added to that, it made a change to see a Jewish and not a Christian exorcism! I have no religious belief but quite enjoy this sort of stuff, if it's done half well. This was. There were some creepy moments, some humour. No, not crap - there's plenty of that about - look at what Sky has to offer, and all those channels!

Genesis Revisited: Live At The Royal Albert Hall
Genesis Revisited: Live At The Royal Albert Hall

4.0 out of 5 stars Bottoms up! Lets partay!, 23 Nov. 2014
I've seen a couple of reviews which complain of a high bottom end i.e. too much bass, even on the Hammersmith recording. I don't know how many concerts these people have been to but i'd expect a good bass sound rather than a lot of high and middle.It may be they may simply have their gear set up badly. Live recordings are difficult, even with new digital technology, and getting a good mix can be a nightmare (hence some recordings taken at a variety of venues or overdubbed in the studio - Mr. Zappa!). Most listeners I know like a good bit of bass, and I think the sound,taken directly from the mixing desk, would have been what the band wanted to hear. I can't see that Steve H would let a recording go out without having a good listen to the finished product himself. The sound aside, the band sound great. I'm not sure why there are so many guests at these gigs. However, Nad deserves to rest his voice over what are long shows, so I'll let Mr. H off on this one.

Bakerloo (Expanded Edition)
Bakerloo (Expanded Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Factoid, 29 Oct. 2014
You've got your facts a bit wrong. Keith Baker is the drummer, not Terry Poole. And still drumming around this neck of the woods (i.e. Worcestershire). Also played with Supertramp and Uriah Heep.
The album still stands the test of time fortunately.

Primus & The Chocolate Factory With The Fungi Ensemble
Primus & The Chocolate Factory With The Fungi Ensemble

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Wonky, 23 Oct. 2014
Ii've been a fan since day one and have pretty much everything Les Claypool/Primus have released. I've enjoyed most of the output but I have to make an exception with this. Firstly, there's not a lot to get to grips with. The original songs were great and if you're covering or re-inventing something ,make it better. Sorry Les, you've failed on this one and what a waste of a great drummer/percussionist! I'm one myself and would have baulked at having to do what's on this recording. Nothing to get your teeth into drummy-wise. I agree it has it's moments. But a warning to new Primus listeners - don't get this first!! If I'd have heard this before I bought it ( was I being trustworthy in view of previous stuff or just a bit stoopid?) I may have let this pass me by. Shame. Neither do I get how some reviewers have given this 5 stars.I really don't think it's worth that.I struggled wirh the 3. And Green Naugahyde was vastly superior in my view.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4