Profile for K. Box > Reviews

Content by K. Box

K. Box "whereami?" (Worcester,England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Primus & The Chocolate Factory With The Fungi Ensemble
Primus & The Chocolate Factory With The Fungi Ensemble

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Wonky, 23 Oct 2014
Ii've been a fan since day one and have pretty much everything Les Claypool/Primus have released. I've enjoyed most of the output but I have to make an exception with this. Firstly, there's not a lot to get to grips with. The original songs were great and if you're covering or re-inventing something ,make it better. Sorry Les, you've failed on this one and what a waste of a great drummer/percussionist! I'm one myself and would have baulked at having to do what's on this recording. Nothing to get your teeth into drummy-wise. I agree it has it's moments. But a warning to new Primus listeners - don't get this first!! If I'd have heard this before I bought it ( was I being trustworthy in view of previous stuff or just a bit stoopid?) I may have let this pass me by. Shame. Neither do I get how some reviewers have given this 5 stars.I really don't think it's worth that.I struggled wirh the 3. And Green Naugahyde was vastly superior in my view.

The Voices
The Voices
by Frank Tallis

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll read more of this bloke...., 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Voices (Paperback)
It's clear from the low scoring reviews that they wanted a neat and tidy ending. At first i felt a bit disappointed by the ending but now I get it. Spoiler: most people were expecting a happy ending re. the young child and they didn't get it. Why should it have ended happily like that? The book is about an evil dead human being who dabbled with black magic and the like - and won. The two couples weren't the nicest of people either. Should they have got closure, or did they get their just desserts?
This was a quick and easy read so I don't get why some readers found it quite so boring. Try War and Peace or Don Quixote - important novels but toooooo loooooong.......

Hard Meat/Through a Window
Hard Meat/Through a Window
Offered by music-discount

4.0 out of 5 stars Good British stuff that is both gentle and gritty at ..., 3 Sep 2014
This was one of John Peel's fave bands at one time so that says a lot. Good British stuff that is both gentle and gritty at times. The brothers Dolan moved to Malvern in Worcestershire in the seventies and formed a band called Big Front Yard which also included another ex-Brummie on drums - Keith Baker (who's still around), formerly of Bakerloo Line (with Clem Clempson), Supertramp and Uriah Heep (Salisbury album). Sadly Steve Dolan died some years ago and i learned a couple of weeks ago Mick had also succumbed to cancer. Met him last Christmas for the first time since the mid-seventies at a friends party, and he still remembered me from my then band doing some support gigs for BFY. Shame. Nice bloke. He had been playing regularly with ex-Decameron Johnny Coppin from time to time. Sorry for the trivia but it puts the Dolans into some sort of perspective.And i like to put Worcester/shire on the map! Think Traffic,Dave Mason,Jim Capaldi, Robert Plant, John Bonham, and of course Edward Elgar and you'll get the picture...

Similar Skin
Similar Skin
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars You can do better than this you silly boys!, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Similar Skin (Audio CD)
I've only played this once so I may need to again.On first listen though this is a huge disappointment for me. UM are at their best when they rock out - they are better musicians than they are songwriters, and the songs are really setting you up for some great musicianship - to me the "songs" are pretty irrelevant. i want to hear them play! They don't really get going on this until the final track. Their efforts at being a more straightforward rock band don't work for me- to be honest it sound more like "old mans" rock (and I'm 59 and a musician). They can do better than this. Their last album was far superior. If you can get hold of their live dvds/blurays do it (unfortunately mostly on Region 1). Or just check out live stuff on Youtube.

Time Flies 1994-2009
Time Flies 1994-2009

2.0 out of 5 stars whiny voiced brits or beatles copyists, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Time Flies 1994-2009 (Audio CD)
You either love or hate 'em, or like a coupla toons. I fall into the latter category. My biggest problem is with Liam Gallagher - not just his mardy public persona, but his whiny vocals. It's a pity not all of these were sung by Noel. It'd make a better ear friendly compilation. As it is, I can't find more than about 6 sings worth playing more than once. A lot of mediocre filler.If these are the best there must have been (yes,"must have",not "must of" which is not even english and grammattically wholly incorrect- abbreviated it's "must've" - check your grammar text books) a lot of dross. I don't want to even try checking that out. Definitely overrated and a bit ordinary. As for the Beatles thing - no way sis...

The Human Centipede - First Sequence
The Human Centipede - First Sequence
Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not as vile as you may think, 29 Mar 2014
I watched this out of curiosity rather than having a penchant for horror films. As a horror film it does quite nicely- it doesn't look too cheap and the acting is credible. The evil doctor is a bit of a cliche,but let's not forget, there were people like him doing crazy stuff to people in the concentration camps during the war - operations without anaesthetic, removing and replacing limbs (arms for legs and vice-versa) and seeing how long it would take for someone to die if they sewed this or that up. Exploitative? Up to a point - why 2 girls and not 3 men? Scary? It has it's creepy and tense moments. Silly? Of course. All modern horror films are a bit daft, aren't they? Disturbing? Yes, and uncomfortable to watch in parts. Is there a resolution? Sort of. Will the last girl be saved? Presumably the local police will miss 2 officers after a while and someone will go get her. Would she survive? Possibly, but with a few psychological problems for a good while. Is it a moral tale? Yes.Don't go into dark woods in a knackered car in a foreign country if you are under 30 years old, and don't accept a drink from a clearly weird person.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters [DVD]
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Renner

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit silly, 15 Sep 2013
I think my title above says it all really. It's ok but a bit silly. I don't expect this to be a "most helpful review", by the way.

Fringe: Season 5 [DVD] [2013]
Fringe: Season 5 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Anna Torv

3.0 out of 5 stars not so good a finale, 5 Jun 2013
Like a lot of people i thought this one of the best things of its genre available and enjoyed pretty much all of the first 4 series. I was looking forward to 5 and was glad to see a series end with an ending - unlike some series which are sold as complete but don't actually finish (the 4400,and Carnivale to name but two). Having said that i was disappointed with the quantum leap from series 4 to the future and the Observers. I know they needed to be explained and things resolved but this was a jump too far for me. I was tired of the "I love you... I love you too...." bits, which were more mawkish than emotional, and the story line got more complicated than the last 20 minutes of each Dr. Who episode (starts slowly,something happens, then everyone runs round spouting incomprehensible gobbledygook until the end and you wonder what it was actually about). Having said that I congratulate the makers for raising the cash and seeing it through. I reckon it could easily have disappeared if it wasn't for J.J Abrams involvement.

Haven - Season 1 [DVD]
Haven - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emily Rose

4.0 out of 5 stars to haven to hold, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Haven - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I've not watched all of the episodes yet, but so far so good. What I find a bit odd is that if something weird kicks off, it's simply explained away with "It's back" or "It never really went away" (the weirdness, that is,when strange stuff started to happen a while back). Consequently the investigative chaps and chappess can get away with anything without fully having to explain everything in detail. One of the episodes I found almost incomprehensible when the reveal was made, 'cos it still made little sense.That's a shame. I understand from other reviewers that they share similar confusion, but that the series is worth sticking with, so I'll go along with the next episodes to see whether I get it or not. I'm a big fan of weirdness like Millennium, X Files, and Fringe. In my opinion those are all superior. At least Haven is better than that Warehouse thingy, which I thought was pretty poor.

Bending The Dark
Bending The Dark

5.0 out of 5 stars imaginative village!, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Bending The Dark (Audio CD)
I won't go track by track, but make a couple of general comments. If you liked Afro Celt Sound System you'll like some of this, 'cos that's what a couple of trax sound like.If you like traditional folk music brought up to speed and "noughtied" you'll like this. If you like a mixture of both with a bit extra,you'll like this.If you hate folk music,you'll probably actually like this. If you're like me, you'll like this.I like it.It's better than their first two albums. And I like those. Are you sensing a pattern here?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3