Profile for Altcountryfan > Reviews

Altcountryfan

I'm 10,000 Years Old
I'm 10,000 Years Old

5.0 out of 5 stars STOP SHOUTING!, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: I'm 10,000 Years Old (Audio CD)
We get it. It's great but no need to shout! Is there really? Basically buy it. Elvis IS an album artist and this proves it.

A Creature I Don't Know
A Creature I Don't Know
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest young talent in years, 8 Oct. 2011
This review is from: A Creature I Don't Know (Audio CD)
I've only just caught up with Laura Marling but she just has to be the finest young talent to emerge in this country (or anywhere else) for many many years. Sophisticated complex songwriting that's downright jawdropping and melodies that almost bring you to tears. This album and its predecessor bear comparison with the very best of PJ Harvey, Emmylou Harris or Gillian Welch. Breathtaking! I'm 56. How can a 20 year old have such an impact on me? But she does. Like no one else on the planet right now. I'd thought Gillian Welch had produced the album of the year but I was wrong. This is it.

Mockingbird Time
Mockingbird Time

1.0 out of 5 stars Songs Made Up in the Bath, 20 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Mockingbird Time (Audio CD)
Dear oh dear. As a massive Jayhawks fan from years gone by I was hugely looking forward to this reassemblage of the original line-up. Since the split, I've also enjoyed the solo albums from the two lead protagonists. But....sorry but this isn't just a disappointment. It really is the worst thing I've sat down and listened to all year: disjointed melodies, disconnected instrumentals and the overall feeling that these 'songs' were cobbled together in five minutes in the studio, either that or in the bath. They really are the sort of half-cocked melodies you whistle to yourself in the garden shed while potting the dahlia tubers up for the winter. My biggest musical disappointment since 'Self Portrait' in fact. Compare this with the latest oeuvre from Gillian Welch who says it took so long to gestate because the songs she was writing just weren't good enough. The result is a timeless masterpiece. Jayhawks take note. Please don't return until you have something worth returning with. This is simply embarrassing and does a major disservice to the heritage of the greatest melody spinners since CSN&Y or America.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2014 1:42 PM GMT