Profile for T. Brossman > Reviews

Content by T. Brossman

T. Brossman

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Apalus Magnetic Screen Door, 90 x 210CM Super Fine Fly Mesh, Magnetic Top to Bottom Ultra Seal Magnets Shut Automatically, Keep Fresh AIR in & Bugs OUT
Offered by Apalus EU

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality stitching - failed very soon after installing, 2 Jun. 2016
If your door exactly matches the size of this screen, and if you are ready to do extra DIY customization in attaching the screen to your door frame, then this is barely acceptable. For all other cases I can't recommend it.

The magnetic closure down the middle almost works. If you are diligent and check it for gaps, tapping at it do break and re-fasten th emagnetic seal so the fabric sits just right then it will keep flies out. If you walk through the screen without checking that it sealed properly then you will find large gaps big enough for insects to fly through.

For me, the worst problem was that the velcro fasteners and the adhesive had much stronger grip than the cheap stitching holding the velcro to the screen. Cautiously removing the screen from the frame when not in use didn't help much, the bit that fastens to the frame tore right off on several spots, because the stitching was insufficient quality. I think if this were priced at £5 or less, and for temporary use, it might be acceptable. Not for me though, it didn't last a single day of light use and I would definitely not recommend it or every buy it again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2016 3:50 AM BST

4 Mega-Pixel Car Recorder, MAISI® Full HD Color Car Black Box Dashboard Camcorder (2304*1296/30FPS, 2.7 Inch LCD 8x Digital Zoom, 150-Degree True Wide Vision Angle, Motion Detection, WDR Superior Quality Night Mode, 6-Glass Lens, Automatic Ignition/Motion/Crash Detection and Recording with G-sensor, One Button Audio Recording, Support Up To 64GB TF Card)
Offered by Direct Digi Sales

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent video quality, but avoid if using Linux, 1 April 2016
First impressions are that this is acceptable value for the price. The quality of the video captured is good, which is the main thing to get right, but there are some negatives. The user interface is crude and somewhat confusing to navigate, and the rear screen is very low resolution. The supplied documentation is more of an executive summary - be prepared to spend a fair amount of time for trial and error if you plan to customize the settings.

My main issue is that when viewing the videos on a Linux computer (tested with Totem, Mplayer, and VLC) there is a bizarre bug which overlays the 'g-sensor'(motion sensing) values in huge numbers across the bottom quarter of the screen. They change very rapidly and it's distracting to see extremely fast and constantly changing 'subtitles' being rendered. Disabling subtitles caused each video player to freeze, perhaps because no developer ever anticipated such an odd edge-case. It is possible to re-render the videos minus the subtitles on your desktop machine but it's a tedious extra step. Disabling the g-sensor doesn't fix the issue either, you still see the numbers.

On a more positive note, the response time from the seller was very good when I enquired about the display bugs. They sell primarily to Windows users who will not see this issue. If I used Windows, I'd probably give this 4 stars.

Sourcingbay Anti-radiation / Anti-degaussing / No-signal Double-layer Velcro Cloth Pouch Signal Blocking Case Bag, Suitable for Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 / I9200 / N7100 / I9500 / I9190 / I9300, Iphone / Ipod Touch Etc. (Black)
Offered by DTV ELECTRONICS

5.0 out of 5 stars Effectively Blocks WiFi, Mobile, NFC and Wireless Charging., 16 Feb. 2016
Excellent, tested by placing mobile inside and ringing it and it does work. Blocks NFC and wireless charging pads too, if your mobile supports that. It arrived well before the estimated arrival date even though it was shipped direct from Hong Kong. Also included a small gift, a stylus for using on a touch screen without smudging. Inexpensive and does exactly what it says in the description.

150 10oz Insulated Disposable Paper Coffee Cups with Lids
150 10oz Insulated Disposable Paper Coffee Cups with Lids
Offered by EXPRESS-BOOKS

3.0 out of 5 stars Cups are okay, mostly the lids fit, 16 Feb. 2016
Cups are okay, mostly the lids fit and for the price you can throw away a few and not worry about it too much. Watch which seller you order from, as some will package them properly in a cardboard box and some do not. If you are okay with ordering 150 for around £20 and being left with about 100 you can use, go ahead and order these.

Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse
Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse
Offered by 3-Monkeys

3.0 out of 5 stars Wireless lacks precision and not good for bigger hands, 13 Nov. 2015
Tried this as a replacement for an ageing Intellimouse, which I wish they still made. If you are switching from one of those, this will probably disappoint you.

The shape is a bit odd, it is more spherical than 'normal' mice and leaves more space between itself and the heel of your hand. If you have tiny hands or like the smaller notebook mice you'll probably not notice. It is a large mouse but because of the position of the side buttons, it sits under your fingertips and not cupped into your palm like you would hold a ball.

This was the first wireless mouse I've used and after two days use I gave it away. Absolutely nowhere near the precision of a decent wired mouse. I was constantly making tiny adjustments that I didn't have to deal with when using a wired mouse. The wrist angle was nice but my shoulder was sore from all the tiny corrections. Maybe they are all like that but I'm not going to be using another wireless mouse for the foreseeable future.

IBM Lenovo ThinkPad X200 X200S X201 X201S Hard Disk Driver HDD Caddy + Cover + Rails +Screws

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a perfect match for the OEM parts but close enough, recommended., 13 Nov. 2015
It's not exactly the same as the OEM product and thus 4 stars, but it serves its purpose well and works as expected.

The side cushions are made from a much softer and more flexible material than the originals which had me worried that they wouldn't stay put when I slid it in the bay, but they did. I'm using a SSD with it so don't really care about the extra shock protection anyway.

For the price, this is definitely recommended.

Plantronics .Audio 655 DSP USB Headset with Stowable Microphone Boom
Plantronics .Audio 655 DSP USB Headset with Stowable Microphone Boom
Offered by Kikatek

2.0 out of 5 stars Headband very fragile and prone to breaking., 8 Jun. 2015
For the price, these are okay but don't plan on them lasting very long. Like some of the other reviewers here, I had mine break. The headband is plastic and it simply snapped as I was putting them on. Light use, never dropped, and this is the first pair of headphones I've owned that broke. If you are okay with replacing them at least once a year (with light, gentle use) then these are fine. Otherwise avoid and look for something more sturdy.

Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000  (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 (Retail Packaging)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough replacement for an Intellimouse, but with a (very) slight middle-click delay, 2 Aug. 2013
Like some of the other reviewers here I had an Intellimouse which was fantastic. Four, actually, but nothing lasts forever.

This is the closest replacement and I recommend buying it. The only reason for 4 stars vs. 5 is the very slight delay when 'middle clicking' with the scroll wheel. It is well under half a second and I bet I will just get used to it. Opening links in a new tab means a slight pause-and-hold instead of the instant result I had with the Intellimouse. Autoscrolling pages, same thing. Very slight delay, but noticeable if you are used to using the mouse very quickly.

On the plus side, for those of us with big hands it is perfect. It is slightly bigger than previous models and with a more irregular and ergonomic shape. Buttons 4 & 5 are now together under your thumb but intuitive. I almost always use the back button and rarely use the forward function, so no real change there. The tracking precision has improved, too.

I'm running Linux so can't use the accompanying software from Microsoft but don't need it. I can still configure it if necessary and everything worked perfectly after plugging it in.
Comment Comment | Permalink

ownCloud
ownCloud

1.0 out of 5 stars Unable to even begin to use this, non-functional, 13 April 2013
This review is from: ownCloud (App)
My first experience after paying for this app and installing it is total frustration. Avoid it, do not waste your time.

It will not accept my correct login credentials. Even copy/pasting them won't work. I can't get past the very first setup step. I've emailed support and posted in the forums. I should never have to do that for a fresh install of a paid app. That is inexcusable.

Imagine you bought a brand new car, the salesman handed you the keys, then you went out to the lot and it wouldn't start.

Draft
Draft

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent evolution from Epistle, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Draft (App)
Epistle was a note-taking app from this same developer. It was dead-simple, reliable, and would sync with Dropbox. Same thing here, but with a nicer appearance and some new functionality. Plus, this is being actively developed and Epistle is not.

I bought this without any hesitation based on how useful Epistle was, and I was not disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5