Profile for Mr. G. Barlow > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. Barlow

Mr. G. Barlow "Liker of all sorts..." (Hampshire, UK)

Live at the Brixton Academy 1999
Live at the Brixton Academy 1999
Price: 12.09

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh, so they WERE serious?, 18 May 2012
Was in the pit when this was recorded.
We thought this was a joke, or some sort of payback for Alec getting roughed up at a Astoria2 show earlier in the year!
As other reviewer has stated - an impenetrable wall of noise - just like the spectrum loading tapes.
DO NOT BUY if expecting anything ATR.
If you are one for your experimental noise, this may be one for you... but may be worth seeing if you can get a listen before buying blind.

AS far as I'm concerned, it's a Thumbs down.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2012 8:32 PM BST

Nightwatch [DVD]
Nightwatch [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nikolaj Waldau
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype, and ESPECIALLY NOT THE BLURB!, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: Nightwatch [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this on a recommendation.
Saw the overwhelmingly positive reviews on imdb and fell victim to the blurb - making it out as a forerunner to "Se7en" and "Saw".

Hate to say it, but found it quite a boring, formulaic Thriller, with not a great deal happening.
A few hints at something interesting about to happen, which result in... not very much.

Difficult to pull off an effective whodunnit, when there's only two real suspects.

It makes me wonder how many people add on a few stars, just because it's a foreign language movie?

I had to laugh - the back claims it's ""Hostel" meets "Se7en""
Mind you, the fact that I paid money out for this, sobered me up pretty quickly.

Better off with some "Prime Suspect" methinks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2012 8:49 PM BST

The Official Zombie Handbook (UK)
The Official Zombie Handbook (UK)
by Sean T. Page
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombie survival guide UK, 6 Dec 2010
Although I thoroughly enjoyed Max Brooks Zombie Survival Guide, it was a little too americanised for my liking.
Fortunately, Sean Pages Official Zombie Handbook (uk) addresses these issues in spades. Expect your hopes of surviving an outbreak on these shores to be given a short sharp shock - the future in a post apocalyptic UK is not bright, highlighting the failings of our own security forces and indicating where perhaps our hopes for longtime survival lie.
This is obviously a painstakingly researched volume - the level of detail and knowledge behind the countries infrastructure and protocols of our security agencies is quite staggering.
My personal highlight - The volume also includes a handful of "patient zero" test cases, suggesting how the disease would spread, should an infected individual be introduced under various circumstances.

If you are reading this from outside the UK, then perhaps this is not the book for you.
If you are based in the UK and have any fear of the undead - then don't hesitate to purchase, it could make the difference to your family being a Zombie buffet...

Top marks Mr Page.

M is for Magic
M is for Magic
by Neil Gaiman
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Parents be warned..., 21 Feb 2010
This review is from: M is for Magic (Paperback)
First off, Great stuff!
I read it and lapped it up!

ANYHOWS, this was originally a gift for my little girl, who is getting into disappearing and reading books on her own.
Doing the right thing, and remembering how much I enjoyed Coraline, I thought I'd check it out before she got into it.

By no means am I a prude, but I would highly recommend checking this out before giving it to any child to make sure you are happy with he content. "Troll Bridge" gives an anatomical description of a very naked, very male troll and later deals with characters discussing their virginity, sticky fumbles and "Getting laid".

I think Neil Gaiman is a brilliant author and will certainly be picking up Graveyard Book for my little girl - but like this, will be reading it first to make sure of its suitability.

Enjoy!

Top Trumps Juniors - Disney Heroes
Top Trumps Juniors - Disney Heroes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 31 Jan 2010
I used to love trumps as a lad, and with a little girl (and nieces) of my own now, have encouraged Top Trumps wherever possible!

Although this is no longer one of my little girls favourites, this is a brilliant set to introduce especially young ones to. Where the categories on regular sets have varying maxiumums, they can be sometimes a little tricky for the youngsters to compare, here, all the categories are colour coded and out of 10, so can be compared on the fly without the child needing to be a proficient reader!

This set features characters from Disney Classics, such as Peter Pan, Sword in the Stone, Aladdin, Hercules and Robin Hood (to downgrade a review because you don't recognise them, is a pretty poor show!)

Overall, a wonderful learning tool, disguised as a fantastic pocket money toy!
I would recommend checking out the rest of the Junior sets, over the Activity packs, which unfortunately only contain 12 cards!?

Win-Win!