Profile for Sean > Reviews

Content by Sean

Sean "Peripatetic Phenotyper" (Nottingham, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Frelan Hardware Brass Plated Concealed Perko Type Door Closer
Frelan Hardware Brass Plated Concealed Perko Type Door Closer
Offered by J. Boyle and Sons (The Ironmonger)

2.0 out of 5 stars Too wide for a normal door, 13 Mar 2014
Not the fault of the product, but it is clearly intended for quite substantial doors. My kitchen door is the same thickness as the hole required by the closer, so I couldn't use it and installed a bar type-closer instead. The product itself seemed very tightly closed and even before I noticed the hole problem I was finding it difficult to work out how to pull the two faces apart without a specialist tool and/or loosening the screw (how to tighten after?). I guess with the use of good pliers and a lever of some sort... but as I say, I gave up because it required such a big hole anyway. I would not classify this as installable by an amateur. If there are installation videos online I suggest taking a look before purchase unless you are familiar with this type of closer already.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't charge or sync with iphone5s, 13 Mar 2014
Attached OK to the cable, but on plugging into MacPro and iphone5s: no charge symbol, no sync and a delayed message about incompatibility on the iphone screen - I will try this with an iPad and different mini-USB cables later; but for now, this seemed too good to be true and it turned out to be untrue - completely useless.

LATEST NEW 2013 VISIBLE LED MULTI COLOUR Light USB Flash Charger Cable for iphone 5 ipad 4 Mini

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after about 3 weeks., 26 Feb 2014
I used it to charge my phone from the mains for about 7 nights (trip abroad) using an apple USB adapter; and a few times from a portable battery pack (4-5 times). On returning to the UK, I used in in my car for about 2 weeks. I started getting messages that it was incompatible with charging after about a week and at some time it stopped charging (I didn't notice because the lights still work(ed) even after the cable stopped charging). I only noticed because my phone was running out of power at the end of the day (because I rely on my morning commute to charge it). SO - very pretty product that failed in less than a month and would have been disastrous to me if I had been relying on it - a it was just very inconvenient and time-wasting as I was convinced that there was a fault with the iphone5 and installed battery management apps to check. The lights remaining on absolutely fooled me that it was still working - D'oh.

Alpin 73016 Wheel Nut Wrench CV with Attachment 17 / 19 mm
Alpin 73016 Wheel Nut Wrench CV with Attachment 17 / 19 mm
Offered by AVIDES

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, effective and fast to arrive, 26 Feb 2014
I broke my previous one on a cold day, hard nut - so ordered this. Arrived very quickly and was surprisingly cheap. A good buy all round.

NEW CAR DENT PULLER - QUICK RELEASE HANDLE - EASY TO LOCATE - DURABLE HIGH IMPACT - LIFTING ANY SMOOTH SURFACE
Offered by Bid Buy Direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply doesn't work on a Volvo, 26 Feb 2014
I got this to take out a smooth dent in my car door (Volvo v70 estate). It is a vacuum puller and I was surprised when I could get no vacuum at all on the door. I tested it on a window and it pulls a vacuum there so it functions and would be fine to move panes of glass around (one of the suggested uses on the packaging). I tested it on other body parts of the car and even a minor curve prevents it working. The rubber is too hard and does not make a seal on anything but the flattest surface. So - cheap but useless for pulling dents out of cars.

The Handy Electric Garden Tiller
The Handy Electric Garden Tiller
Offered by Platinum Home and Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars vroom vroom..., 30 May 2013
This review is from: The Handy Electric Garden Tiller
Excellent tool, turned over my small garden in no-time. It is quite lively but a foot on top helped it to bite in and a second run really separated the soil into a very nice texture. Had a few problems with tree roots getting wound around the end - but nothing a small saw couldn't solve. It is so much fun that you can get carried away - my hands were buzzing for hours after and felt quite weak (couldn't pick up a cup of coffee for a short while). So if you sit in front of a computer all day like me, you might like to take frequent breaks :)

Craghoppers Nosilife Cargo Men's Trouser - Pebble, 34 Inch - Long Leg
Craghoppers Nosilife Cargo Men's Trouser - Pebble, 34 Inch - Long Leg

4.0 out of 5 stars Light but smaller than expected; and insects simply don't bat an antenna at them., 30 May 2013
These are really light trousers, look good and dry out *extremely* quickly - they also pack well (not too creased). The downside - they shrink a little on first wash; and are much smaller than anticipated around the waist (length is fairly good - I'm tall - not what I would say was long but adequate). It is a very good job that they have a secure double button on the waist as they became very tight (I thought I had put weight on very quickly given lots of Mexican food - but other 34" waist trousers were fine). After a wash, these are 34" at FULL stretch of the elastic; so I would need to order a size bigger (I'm normally 32/34). As for the insect resistance - completely useless. I wore these with boots and long socks in a town in Mexico and got bitten three times *behind the knee*, so that bug had to have crawled up between trouser and sock and wasn't phased at all by the anti-bug impregnation. As we were off to the jungle next day I chose DEET and shorts instead - which worked a lot better. These would only deter insects if you actually tucked them into your socks - very disappointing in that regard.

You Are Not So Smart: Why Your Memory is Mostly Fiction, Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bite sized chunks of fascinating psychology., 30 May 2013
I've met a lot of these experiments before (Milgram, marshmallows, fake wine tasting); but it is rare to be bombarded with so many almost anecdotal studies in such a concise way without trivialisation. I learned a few things along the way, but the main reason for my high rating is simply because this is a really nice introductory summary to such a wide ranging set of areas. in contrast to the author, I was actually put off by the cover because I am very shallow but I do recommend dipping in - this is very much a 'one-more-chapter' book; and the chapters are so short :)

Magnum Men's Elite Spider 8.1 Desert HPI Derset Tan 55110/JT6 12 UK
Magnum Men's Elite Spider 8.1 Desert HPI Derset Tan 55110/JT6 12 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, light and look great, 9 Feb 2013
For me, the size was spot on (I have big, flat feet) and they are great to wear. Surprisingly water resistant given that they don't look that they would be (lots of material panels but they are hydrophobic). So far they have been easy to clean by hose or wipe, they don't seem to stain. scuffing is much less noticeable than for equivalent black boots. Ankle supports are quite fat, so they tend to poke out from tighter jeans and trousers after sitting - I quite like this look so I now don't use the top lace 'hole' to encourage it. the lacing system is unusual - not a simple hole, but a catch and squeeze mechanism that is well designed. The laces are great, with boots I often have to retie with normal laces but with these you can just tie in a bow and then a standard knot on the bow to keep from slipping, unlike normal laces this can easily be untied. Highly recommended and as with all magnums, really comfortable.

10 Parameter Professional GP Urinalysis Multisticks Urine Strip 100 Test Stick Strips - pH, Glucose, Ketone, Liver, Kidney & Urine Infection
Offered by BabyMad Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars 2,000 years of chemistry in a stick, 9 Feb 2013
It does exactly what it says in the instructions. A range of detection squares that respond to the chemistry in your biosample. I bought them to check on ketones as part of a diet and they are a brilliantly encouraging feedback detector for this. Also shows various other attributes but the only ones I have really tested is pH (amazing how your diet can alter this). Easy, quick (although there are a range of wait times none are long) and I'd buy again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4