Profile for Stuart Whitby > Reviews

Epson Expression Home XP-312 All-In-One Printer with Wi-Fi/Epson Connect
Epson Expression Home XP-312 All-In-One Printer with Wi-Fi/Epson Connect
Offered by OnlineshopbaseLtd

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine when it's working, 20 Feb 2014
This is a replacement for my xp-305 which had to be returned after it failed after 5 months (refused to print using new inks - never used anything but the correct Epson inks in it). Got the xp-312 as a replacement due the fact that I've got I've got 2 full packs of unused high capacity inks for it (about £90 of spare ink for a £50 printer). Within a week of not much printing, this one has become unreliable. The printer hangs & refuses to switch off after refusing to print.

I really don't want to get another Epson, but this one's going to have to go back to be replaced with another of the same.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2014 10:00 AM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Great light, silly features., 5 Dec 2013
I've owned this light for over a year now. The beam is fantastic and the casing is robust and weatherproof (I've never had a problem with leaks in any weather), but has some really silly features.

The beam on this light goes way into the distance. However, it has 5 settings between 0 degrees (straight ahead) and 90 degrees (straight down). So while you can light way into the distance, you can't simply tilt it *slightly* to see the road at a reasonable distance rather than what's above it. The first notch down will drop it 22.5 degrees, so you suddenly go from seeing the trees (where I live) in the distance to seeing the road less than 10m ahead of you. A beam this strong and focussed needs much finer control over where you can direct it.

And that beam. It's a feature of the light that the beam will simply dim over time rather than remain at full power. So you need to semi-regularly switch it off and switch it on again just to get the power that you paid all that money for. Why anyone would build this feature into a light I have no idea, unless maybe it runs too hot and needs to cool the casing down. I've never noted any heat at all from it though.

My other main issue is the low battery warning light. My previous head torch gave a few flashes to show that the battery was low and then continued to run as normal until you switched it off. Switch it on again and it would give a few flashes and run as normal. The H14, however, continues to give this low battery flash warning as long as it's on. This is just plain annoying.

It also eats batteries. 4x 2000maH AA rechargeable batteries will last under 2 hours (I can't say exactly how long as my light tends to be on and off, duration will probably depend on just how often you reset the thing in order to get a decent light from it). I know that rechargeable batteries suck, but it's way cheaper than having to replace decent disposable AA batteries every 6-8 hours or so.

I don't know if any of these features have been changed since I bought mine. However, I'd be looking for some clear answers to confirm that my next light isn't designed to dim during use and doing my own testing in a shop before spending so much on another head torch again.

Pentel Ain Stein 0.5mm HB Pencil Lead
Pentel Ain Stein 0.5mm HB Pencil Lead

1.0 out of 5 stars 0.5 != 0.5, 30 Oct 2013
I have 4 (at least - they all look the same) 0.5mm Pentel P205 pencils, bought over the course of probably 10-20 years ago as I needed a pencil sitting somewhere else. These leads fit some, but not others. The ones that it doesn't fit, I can actually push the lead back through the nib (leaving some shavings on my fingers) but it's so tight that the pencil doesn't actually have the power to push it forwards.

I've seen a similar comment elsewhere about the P205, but these also don't fit my wife's cheaper, plastickier 0.5mm pencils. I've got to assume that these leads are at fault for being a few microns too big.

As for the quality.... it's a lead. I can't really fault it at all, but it's also supposed to fit 0.5mm pencils, and when it doesn't do that, I have to flag this as one star as it doesn't fit the pencils it's designed to.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Everlasting & a joy to use, 20 Oct 2013
I've been using these for over 20 years now. I have at least 3 of them. The only fault I've ever had was in the one that I gave my kids to use and it came back with a bent nib, which isn't exactly a manufacturing issue.

These are simply lovely to use. Highly recommended.

Olive Wood 32cm Bread Board
Olive Wood 32cm Bread Board

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but a bit small for a breadboard, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: Olive Wood 32cm Bread Board
The size is as it says though. It's just enough to lay 4 judiciously placed slices of bread on, with little room for maneuver. I'd get a bigger one next time, probably 45 cm or so. Can't complain about them getting it exactly right in the description though, so 5 stars.

Yaktrax Pro Traction Device Small
Yaktrax Pro Traction Device Small
Price: £5.50 - £65.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Really poor sole design, 30 Dec 2010
First off, I have no complaints about the amount of traction these give you. It's very impressive, hence the two stars rather than one. However, the sole is basically constructed of 2 diamond shapes, going from the toes to the side of the ball of the foot, crossing under the arch and the same at the back. Working on pure ice, I had no problem, but when it starts to thaw a bit, I couldn't keep the front section under my feet, no matter how much I played with the strap or which size I used (we got 2 different sizes of these for my wife & me, both of which are too big for the boots that they're sized to fit, but the wife's fit my boots fine). It kept ending up with one half of the front diamond under my foot and the other half above. After getting these back in place about 5 times within 20 minutes, I gave up and just lived with the front of my foot slipping everywhere.

Another rubber strand straight up the middle of those diamonds would have fixed this, but it's not there.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2011 8:14 PM GMT

Watch Me Grow! A Unique, 3-Dimensional Week-by-Week Look at Your Baby's Behaviour and Development in the Womb
by Stuart Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars Third copy ordered - says it all :), 22 Aug 2007
This is a fantastic book, just to show how your baby is changing during pregnancy. I'm currently on my third copy, as we're giving them to friends who fall pregnant. The pictures are fantastic, and show the full development of the baby from conception to birth.

If this is your first child, then you can see what's going on. If it's not, then it's great to be able to show your other kids what's happening inside mummy's tummy.

Integral Courier Flash Drive with LED Light USB 2.0 Read 12MB/s Write 3MB/s 8GB Ref INFD8GBCOU
Offered by Offtek

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor speed, design & quality, 20 July 2007
I'm very unimpressed by this. I've had it 2 months and it's falling apart - the sides have split, allowing the USB connection to bend. The side-loops are too small to attach to a keyring, which leaves the back loop, which stops you putting the cap onto the end. I hadn't considered the speed of these before but will in future as this is way slower than the Corsair one which lasted me 18 months.

The Fifth Element / The Abyss / Aliens [DVD] [1986]
The Fifth Element / The Abyss / Aliens [DVD] [1986]
Dvd ~ Sigourney Weaver
Offered by OnlineMusicFilmsGames

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 classic films, 7 Jan 2004
I had each of these films on video and wanted to get them for DVD instead. When I saw this "three in one" package, I figured this was fantastic - if it was the special editions of the films.
The Fifth Element, as far as I'm aware, has no Director's Cut. This is the version that I remember from the cinema, which is in itself a fantastic film. To me, this is one of the best edited films ever: there are a significant number of places where threads continue seamlessly through short cuts to various different people in various different locations. This is film coreography at its finest, and I can only congratulate the production team on this piece of genius. In itself, the film is very watchable, and laden with humour and effects. The sets are good, and the actors well chosen. And Mila Jovovich is gorgeous, which never hurts...
This is the Director's Cut of Aliens, which has about 15 minutes of extra footage. This adds some nice touches to the film, but no significant extra plot. For those that don't know it, Aliens has to stand as one of the best sequels ever, as both Alien and Aliens stand alone or together as fantastic, though different films (but please don't think that's a recommendation for parts 3 or 4 of the series as well). Alien relies on one monster (or maybe 2 if you've read the book) against some poorly prepared ship's crew , whereas Aliens ups the ante by placing seemingly hundreds of them against a group of well armed, highly trained space marines - which doesn't stop this starting to show psychological impact when they lose half of their number in the first encounter. The alien effects are even more impressive, and the film incredibly atmospheric with its setting in a barren, hostile environment.
The Director's Cut of the Abyss turns it from a somewhat confusing film about apparently ignorant aliens into a brilliantly plotted affair where they react strongly to being threatened. As a diver, I could point out weak points in the technical aspects of the plot, but this doesn't detract from this being an utterly enjoyable and absorbing film.
Given the films involved here, this set is an absolute bargain, and worth every penny. If you're thinking about getting it, think no longer and order it. The three films here total almost 7 hours of excellent viewing for any sci-fi fan.

The Fast and the Furious [DVD] [2001]
The Fast and the Furious [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Paul Walker
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

2.0 out of 5 stars Director's commentary makes it worthwhile, 5 Dec 2002
I bought this on the strength of other reviews, and the fact that I'm a petrolhead. However, some of the stuff in this film is so dumb that I just couldn't rate it higher than I do.
It's typically American car sequences - let's go fast in a straight line - and not much else. The heist scenes contain good stunt work, but the trucks which they're trying to take down are driven by typical American truck drivers - they drive in a straight line and never brake (hence all the people that get killed in American films by truck drivers that don't even stop to see what happened).
The director's commentary is the only thing which makes the DVD worthwhile. It gives you insight and an appreciation of the film that you wouldn't otherwise have. However, if you're really looking for a film with great car chases, go get Taxi instead. It's just as silly, but at least it's not trying to take itself seriously, and you get to see things called "corners" and "other traffic" during the chase sequences.

Page: 1 | 2