Profile for Stuart Whitby > Reviews

Kenwood KMM020 Chef Major Titanium Stand Mixer
Kenwood KMM020 Chef Major Titanium Stand Mixer

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 28 Feb. 2015
Fab. Love it.

Corsair CH-9000040-UK Vengeance K65 Compact Performance Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Gunmetal Grey
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely keyboard, but could do with some media control ..., 28 Feb. 2015
Lovely keyboard, but could do with some media control buttons. Didn't realise I'd miss them until they were gone.

The keys are a bit noisy, but that's probably just because I was used to a low profile, soft touch keyboard before. Can't fault the responsiveness though.

Cable Matters 4-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Mini "Quad" Hub in Black
Cable Matters 4-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Mini "Quad" Hub in Black
Offered by Cable Matters

4.0 out of 5 stars That square on the end is pretty big though, 28 Feb. 2015
Works perfectly. That square on the end is pretty big though. I'm sure that it could have been worked better to shrink that somewhat.

T&G CrushGrind® Copenhagen Pepper Mill in FSC® Certified Beech
T&G CrushGrind® Copenhagen Pepper Mill in FSC® Certified Beech
Offered by Harts Of Stur

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant grinder, 28 Feb. 2015
Fantastic item. It really works! I now have pepper on my food rather than giving up after an age of grinding and nothing happening.

I'm off to buy 2 bigger ones though - for salt and pepper (and use this one instead for herbs). The 6 inch is its total height, less a bit of room for the stopper at the top and a bit of room for the grinder mechanism at the bottom means that the actual pepper capacity on this feels fairly low. I can't fault the item itself at all though.

Dexter-Russell Pancake Turner Stainless Steel/Walnut Cookie Brownie Spatula New
Dexter-Russell Pancake Turner Stainless Steel/Walnut Cookie Brownie Spatula New

5.0 out of 5 stars Also bought this for use on a Netherton Foundry cast ..., 28 Feb. 2015
Also bought this for use on a Netherton Foundry cast iron frying pan. It doesn't scratch, it's flexible (and well shaped) enough to get under stuff, and stiff enough to scrape off anything which does stick. I use it as an all rounder on my pan, not just for pancakes.

Doctor Zhivago
Doctor Zhivago

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Kindle conversion, 28 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Doctor Zhivago (Kindle Edition)
The book may be good (so I've heard), but this Kindle conversion is horrible. There are no section breaks, so every paragraph simply runs into the next without any clear indication that "the scene has changed". This makes it completely unreadable. Go get a version which works.

Epson Expression Home XP-312 All-In-One Printer with Wi-Fi/Epson Connect
Epson Expression Home XP-312 All-In-One Printer with Wi-Fi/Epson Connect
Offered by M&M Deals Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine when it's working, 20 Feb. 2014
This is a replacement for my xp-305 which had to be returned after it failed after 5 months (refused to print using new inks - never used anything but the correct Epson inks in it). Got the xp-312 as a replacement due the fact that I've got I've got 2 full packs of unused high capacity inks for it (about £90 of spare ink for a £50 printer). Within a week of not much printing, this one has become unreliable. The printer hangs & refuses to switch off after refusing to print.

I really don't want to get another Epson, but this one's going to have to go back to be replaced with another of the same.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2014 10:00 AM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Great light, silly features., 5 Dec. 2013
I've owned this light for over a year now. The beam is fantastic and the casing is robust and weatherproof (I've never had a problem with leaks in any weather), but has some really silly features.

The beam on this light goes way into the distance. However, it has 5 settings between 0 degrees (straight ahead) and 90 degrees (straight down). So while you can light way into the distance, you can't simply tilt it *slightly* to see the road at a reasonable distance rather than what's above it. The first notch down will drop it 22.5 degrees, so you suddenly go from seeing the trees (where I live) in the distance to seeing the road less than 10m ahead of you. A beam this strong and focussed needs much finer control over where you can direct it.

And that beam. It's a feature of the light that the beam will simply dim over time rather than remain at full power. So you need to semi-regularly switch it off and switch it on again just to get the power that you paid all that money for. Why anyone would build this feature into a light I have no idea, unless maybe it runs too hot and needs to cool the casing down. I've never noted any heat at all from it though.

My other main issue is the low battery warning light. My previous head torch gave a few flashes to show that the battery was low and then continued to run as normal until you switched it off. Switch it on again and it would give a few flashes and run as normal. The H14, however, continues to give this low battery flash warning as long as it's on. This is just plain annoying.

It also eats batteries. 4x 2000maH AA rechargeable batteries will last under 2 hours (I can't say exactly how long as my light tends to be on and off, duration will probably depend on just how often you reset the thing in order to get a decent light from it). I know that rechargeable batteries suck, but it's way cheaper than having to replace decent disposable AA batteries every 6-8 hours or so.

I don't know if any of these features have been changed since I bought mine. However, I'd be looking for some clear answers to confirm that my next light isn't designed to dim during use and doing my own testing in a shop before spending so much on another head torch again.

Pentel Ain Stein 0.5mm HB Pencil Lead
Pentel Ain Stein 0.5mm HB Pencil Lead

1.0 out of 5 stars 0.5 != 0.5, 30 Oct. 2013
I have 4 (at least - they all look the same) 0.5mm Pentel P205 pencils, bought over the course of probably 10-20 years ago as I needed a pencil sitting somewhere else. These leads fit some, but not others. The ones that it doesn't fit, I can actually push the lead back through the nib (leaving some shavings on my fingers) but it's so tight that the pencil doesn't actually have the power to push it forwards.

I've seen a similar comment elsewhere about the P205, but these also don't fit my wife's cheaper, plastickier 0.5mm pencils. I've got to assume that these leads are at fault for being a few microns too big.

As for the quality.... it's a lead. I can't really fault it at all, but it's also supposed to fit 0.5mm pencils, and when it doesn't do that, I have to flag this as one star as it doesn't fit the pencils it's designed to.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Everlasting & a joy to use, 20 Oct. 2013
I've been using these for over 20 years now. I have at least 3 of them. The only fault I've ever had was in the one that I gave my kids to use and it came back with a bent nib, which isn't exactly a manufacturing issue.

These are simply lovely to use. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3