Profile for N. Phillips > Reviews

Content by N. Phillips

N. Phillips (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
BTR Rear Rack Pannier Bike Bag. Water Resistant, Fits Most Racks & Bicycles. Black Water Resistant Polyester With 10 Litre Capacity. Includes Rain Cover Plus Cargo Net
Offered by BTR Direct Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bag - excellent value for money, 6 May 2016
The zips feel a bit fragile, particularly at the corners, but overall it seems really good for the price. It sits well on the rack and attaches firmly. It's a bit fiddly to put on so I won't be taking it off and putting it on as quickly and easily as I'd hoped. I do like it though.

Jewish Travels
Jewish Travels

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable selection, 5 May 2016
This review is from: Jewish Travels (Audio CD)
A very enjoyable double CD set. Annoyingly some tracks were much quieter than others but I still enjoyed the selection.

Nosh for Students: A Fun Student Cookbook - See Every Recipe in Full Colour - 30% More Recipes Than Previous Edition
by Joy May

5.0 out of 5 stars Eating the same few meals all the time? Want cheap and easy but very tasty food? Buy this! (You don't have to be a student!), 5 May 2016
I'm not a student but I wanted a cookbook with meals that were quick and easy to make with non-fancy, everyday ingredients, without being too bog-standard (e.g. beans on toast). I got stuck in a rut making the same few meals over and over again, even though I had several cookbooks with hundreds of recipes in them. There's always that one technique or that one ingredient that holds me back. Or the recipes are too time consuming.

Somehow I found this book and it is perfect!

The Nosh student cookbook concept: meals that can be made quickly, cheaply, and easily and with very little equipment and a few common ingredients but ones which give the meal a lot of flavour (to make up for the fast cooking time, which can cause food to be bland).

What makes this different from other student cookbooks? Well, I've looked at many and they're either the sort that just give you recipes like beans on toast and tuna and mayonnaise sandwiches or they're the sort that calls for a splash of madeira or a pinch of pink tibetan salt or something equally unlikely to be found in a student kitchen. This book sticks to the basics but is never bland or boring. It strikes a pefect balance between quick but healthy, easy but tasty; a recipe might call for tinned instead of fresh tomatos, for example, but there'll also be plenty of fresh ingredients. The recipes also make repeated use of many common store cupboard ingredients so you can build up a useful but small stock of items that you will keep using, not buy lots of things once for one recipe and find you don't use it for anything else.

Another big plus for this book is that every recipe comes with a photo so you can see what you're aiming for and the ones I've cooked have all come out looking like they should. This is very helpful.

The information included in the book about how to cook, kitchen management, etc. is superb. It's clear and reassuring. It's warm, friendly advice without being embarrassingly 'in wiv da kids' like some student books are.

So far I've bought Nosh For Students, Nosh for Students 2, Vegetarian Nosh for Students, Nosh for Busy Mums and Dads (I'm not a parent but hey, I'm not a student either!), and Nosh Gluten-Free Baking (I'm a coeliac). I've also used recipes on their website. I've enjoyed everything I've made and every recipe I've looked at I feel like 'I can do that!' Every recipe I've tried has been easy and I've been eating something different every day. It's fantastic!

Swedish Salt Salmiak & strong salt Liquorice Fish (GLUTEN FREE)-100 gram bag
Swedish Salt Salmiak & strong salt Liquorice Fish (GLUTEN FREE)-100 gram bag
Offered by ATL Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars It's weird...but strangely addictive, 17 Mar. 2016
This was my very first time eating salmiakki. I've recently learnt some Swedish and I've been learning Finnish and I felt that I had to enhance the Nordic experience by trying some of this strange stuff!

It's weird. Truly weird.

At first I was like 'mmm, this isn't bad'...then I was like 'wait, what?!' Then I was like 'well...it's nice except the salt and the ammonium chloride - why not just have liquorice?' Then 'well, okay, the salt and the sweetness go together nicely'. Then 'let me just try another'. That was on Monday evening. It's now Friday afternoon and I've just finished the packet.

It's nice. It's weird. It's...interesting. But that aftertaste that goes up your nose? Hmm... Why not just salty liquorice without the ammonium chloride? Maybe that actually just wouldn't be the same, I don't know...

I recommend beginners start by NOT licking/sucking the coating off but to immediately start chewing and not to breathe out through the nose too hard whilst it's in your mouth. If you like it, you'll likely be eating it normally by the end of the packet but don't put yourself off it too soon.

Mä pidän salmiakista ;-)

Colloquial Russian: The Complete Course For Beginners (Colloquial Series)
Colloquial Russian: The Complete Course For Beginners (Colloquial Series)
by Svetlana Le Fleming
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb work!, 20 Nov. 2015
This is a simply fantastic book. I'm a member of a group on Facebook where every six months we vote for a language to learn together for those six months. The last language we did was Russian and, being a massive fan (addict, evem!) of the 'Colloquial' series, I worked my way through this book.

I tend to learn languages just to read and write them so I can't really speak for how well one could learn to speak Russian from this (the recordings did seem a little on the fast side) but I've managed to write to people in Russian and understand their replies - very exciting!

An enormous amount of work has clearly gone into this book. The explanations are clear and the exercises are very thorough and make sure they really do test you. The vocabulary lists at the back are also very thorough. I did need to look up a few words but most words used in the course are in the Russian-English side (the English-Russian side could do with being a bit more comprehensive but it wasn't bad). Everything also felt like it followed on in a good sequence, not using words or structures not yet met.

Some books in the 'Colloquial' series suffer from bad editing but if there are more than a couple of errors in this book, I'm not aware of them.

I thoroughly recommend this to anyone who wants to have a go at Russian unless you want a slightly gentler, more conversational course with slower audio, in which case go for 'Teach Yourself Complete Russian'. My enormous thanks to the author for her outstanding work.

Colloquial Swedish (Colloquial Series)
Colloquial Swedish (Colloquial Series)
by Jennie Ahlgren

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs much better editing, 20 Nov. 2015
This is a good book but it seems to be a badly revised edition of an earlier book. In several places answers differ from the sentences in the exercises and quite a few words and grammatical structures appear before they are introduced. Sometimes this happens in the dialogues and texts and sometimes in the exercises, which really throws you and makes you feel hopeless. It feels like it falls apart a bit in Unit 11 but then gets better again. It was also frustrating to have so many words missing from the wordlists at the back. This is in complete contrast to, for example, Colloquial Russian, which I recently worked through which was extremely thorough and had almost all the words at the back.

I'm pleased to see that Routledge is planning a fourth edition, which I'm hoping will be completely redone. If it is, I'll probably buy it for future revision/reference.

Farsi-English/English-Farsi (Persian) Concise Dictionary (Hippocrene Concise Dictionary)
by Anooshirvan M. Miandji

2.0 out of 5 stars Find another dictionary, 12 May 2015
Word-for-word translations with no clue given to meaning (e.g. 'glass' can mean a material, a drinking vessel, a magnifying glass, etc.).

British Sign Language: Teach Yourself: Book and DVD Pack
British Sign Language: Teach Yourself: Book and DVD Pack
by Paul Redfern

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually teaches grammar!, 16 Feb. 2015
This book actually teaches some of the essential grammar of BSL - something lacking in many books on this language. It doesn't teach much vocabulary but there are many books and websites available for that. Make sure the DVD is included because it really is necessary to see the language being used. Highly recommended.

Hebrew-English-Hebrew Pocket Dictionary
Hebrew-English-Hebrew Pocket Dictionary
by Oded Achiasaf

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, perhaps in conjunction with another dictionary, 8 Oct. 2014
A nice compact two-way dictionary with a couple of faults.

Usefully for the beginner, all entries have nikkud and transliteration and I bought this because it's one of the few Hebrew-English/English-Hebrew dictionaries to indicate the different meanings (e.g. 'glass' can mean the material or a drinking vessel - most Hebrew dictionaries give no indication of which one to use for what sense). This dictionary also has a small phrasebook in the middle.

Unfortunately, the verbs are given in the infinitive form instead of the singular masculine past tense, from which all other conjugations can be easily derived. It is also important to note that the Hebrew-English side is far shorter than the English-Hebrew side.

National Service: From Aldershot to Aden: tales from the conscripts, 1946-62
National Service: From Aldershot to Aden: tales from the conscripts, 1946-62
by Colin Shindler

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting collection of experiences, 7 Oct. 2014
This is a well-organised selection of personal stories from people who were conscripted into National Service. The selection is well balanced, with a good coverage of the different services and the different periods during which the system operated.

The one minor problem is that the stories can be quite repetitive because they'd been asked questions and the answers were then edited by Shindler to make for smooth reading. Shindler explains in his introduction that it's to ensure consistent comparisons of the people's experiences but sometimes you wish they could go into more detail about aspects that might have been important to them that hadn't been asked about.

Overall, though, this is an important collection of National Service memories. For a fuller insight into the politics and experiences of the system, I heartily recommend Tom Hickman's The Call-Up: A History of National Service.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5