Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "richardbrit" (Thailand)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Fahrenheit (PS2)
Fahrenheit (PS2)
Offered by Click4entertainment Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising start, but I soon became bored., 19 Nov 2005
This review is from: Fahrenheit (PS2) (Video Game)
Great potential, but ultimately boring.
This had the potential to be, or maybe is, the future of gaming. The ability to play out a movie and shape the story is something people have thought about for some time. In ‘Fahrenheit’ this has just about happened. You play throughout the game as several different characters in the style of an ongoing movie. The texture and graphics are great and lend themselves to the movie feel. The game also plays out in split screen multi perspective to add tension to the dramatic scenes when the play is against the clock or quick decisions are required. The story revolves around the perpetrator of a mysterious murder and two police investigating the crime.
The problem comes for me in the level of detail involved in the game play. The realism goes down to the mundane everyday tasks that are exactly what gamers are hoping to escape. If I want to put the kettle on for a cup of tea I will put a game on pause to do it, not actually carry it out in the game. If I want to search for a book in the library I will turn the game of and go to the library, not search a virtual library in the game in order to progress. These features might add to the game for some, but for me it was distracting from the enjoyment. I know a game isn’t for me when I have to search the net for a walkthrough, to tell me where to find a book in a huge book shop in the game before I can proceed!
Maybe I should have persevered and pushed on with the game, but the idea of a game is to enjoy it, not to feel like it’s a chore.

Burnout: Revenge (PS2)
Burnout: Revenge (PS2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic in many ways, but flawed in others., 19 Nov 2005
This game has much going for it but at the same time features many irksome qualities. The first and most obvious thing to note is the very high quality of the graphics. The cars look great and the scenery is second to no other racer game.
The premise of the game is of course to crash into other vehicles whilst racing your competition, or destroying your competition by pushing them into other obstacles. This is a great idea and gives much satisfaction, especially with the slow down special effect. There are a good variety of exciting tracks featuring jumps, short cuts and many hazards. These all give the opportunity to ram, shunt and flip your opposition with spectacular results.
All in all the game play is fast, colourful and fairly varied. These are all the good points.
The game is however let down by long load times in between races in which we are left to suffer one delay after another before the next action. This took the edge of the game for me. Another gripe comes by way of the cars. Whilst there are many cars to obtain, through good performance in races, they are all very, very similar. They are also in game models and as far as I could tell none of them are real production cars. This also scores a negative for me.
The in game music is just about adequate, but nothing more. This consists of one unrecognisable nondescript tune after another. A few known tracks would have been nice.
I have given the game 3 stars, but would have given it more had it not had the loading delays.

Step One: Play Harmonica (with CD)
Step One: Play Harmonica (with CD)
by Peter Pickow

3.0 out of 5 stars I still can't play the harmonica., 19 Nov 2005
Don’t expect this book to perform miracles. If like me you are not musical it may take more then this to have you playing the Harmonica.
The biggest problem with the book is the lack of recognisable tunes to play whilst learning. If you are familiar with such tunes as ‘Polly Wolly Dolly’, ‘Tenting Tonight’ or ‘Drink to me with Thine Eyes’ then you will have a better chance than me, otherwise you may struggle. It is most difficult to play a tune that you are totally unfamiliar with. The CD, which is included, helps a little, but not a lot.
3 stars

Other People: a Mystery Story
Other People: a Mystery Story
by Martin Amis

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book, but a depressing story., 19 Nov 2005
This is one of the few books that I have read from start to finish whilst on one long journey. This is a testament to the transfixing story line that is pursued through out this book. From almost the first page I was riveted to the sad, sad tale of Mary Lamb the unfortunate amnesiac. It was clear from the outset that her end would not be a good one, but to discover just what that end would be was enough to drive me from one page to the next and to the next.
Although I enjoyed the well written story line it was with a slightly depressing theme throughout, as Marry passively stepped from one pitiable situation to the next, and all along the reader knows that Marry will reach some final doom. Almost all the incidental characters in the book are either of very low characters or are simply unfortunate. This all adds to the dour tone of Mary’s story.
There is a continuous black comic streak throughout the book that offers some levity, but not sufficiently to remove the overriding feel of hopelessness.
It would have been most pleasing had Mary reached an oasis in the sea of sadness, but alas this doesn’t seem to be the way for Martin Amis.
A great book with much to keep the reader engrossed, but don’t expect any rainbows at the end of the story.

House Of Wax [DVD] [2005]
House Of Wax [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Elisha Cuthbert
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars This is another generic teen horror movie, and nothing speci, 6 Oct 2005
This review is from: House Of Wax [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
You will probably like this movie if:

a) You are a teenager and have seen only a limited number of movies.
b) You have a dire taste in movies.

Otherwise you may find it unexciting and formulaic. I realize that all these teen horror flicks follow a routine. This film does exactley that, and has nothing new to add to that boring routine. I am not really sure what the movie is supposed to be. Is it a horror movie? If so then it isn't very frightening. Is it a comedy? If so it isn't very funny. Is it a gore fest? It isn't that gory. I think over all it can be categorized as a movie to fill in two hours of your life. The movie is so dull and predictable. Ten minutes in I found myself yearning for the end. I have given it two stars instead as one because I know it will appeal to the teen audience, whom I expect it was primarily aimed at.

The Life and Many Deaths of Harry Houdini
The Life and Many Deaths of Harry Houdini
by Ruth Brandon

5.0 out of 5 stars A griping account of Houdini�s life., 28 Sep 2005
A superb account of the life of the worlds best remembered escape artist. This is the only account of Houdini's life that I have read, but I recommend it to anyone with an interest. The book covers Houdini's life from start to finish and gives an amazing incite into his incredible life. I especially found Houdini's latter battle with the charlatan clairvoyants of particular interest. I won't spoil the ending, but it was an unfortunate end for such a remarkable man.

Atheism: The Case against God (Skeptic's Bookshelf)
Atheism: The Case against God (Skeptic's Bookshelf)
by George H. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A great account of Atheism., 28 Sep 2005
If your not sure about the whole 'god' thing then this book should clear things up for you. However, if like me, you're already an Atheist then there is really nothing new here. Smith does a fantastic job of covering all aspects of religion and life and offers the logical Atheistic view point and explanation, but if you are already of a similar opinion you may be wasting your time. I am in no way knocking the book, as I think it is a great account of the Atheistic perception of the world, one which I share completely. If you are in the middle ground and are curious about the Atheist perspective then this book will be enlightening and I recommend it entirely. I find it useful when I am in discussion with those of the creationist viewpoint. It really is difficult to argue against Smiths thorough account of his views. I think this book should be dropped from the sky above Iraq and other hot spots of religious fundamentalism. It should at least be part of the school curriculum in the west.

Moll Flanders
Moll Flanders
by Daniel Defoe

5.0 out of 5 stars A great adventurous, historical account of a life., 28 Sep 2005
This review is from: Moll Flanders (Paperback)
Having avoided watching various TV adaptations and never reading the book before, I was hesitant to read this book. Whilst working abroad the book was a last option on the book shop shelf. I was very much wrong in my assumption regarding the book. It is a marvelous account of live at the rough end during the 17th century. The story moves between London and Virginia and steps from one drama to the next throughout. I was captivated throughout by the trials and tribulations of Moll and her many aborted marriages and criminal capers. I was torn between feeling sympathy for Moll and being incredulous at just how many scrapes one woman could get into and escape from. As stated by others this is also a great account of live during Molls time and also of traditions, morals and customs of the time. I now almost regret not making time for the TV adaptation, although I'm sure it would not have been as good.

The Pearl (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Pearl (Penguin Modern Classics)
by John Steinbeck

5.0 out of 5 stars An American classic., 28 Sep 2005
This is a simple, but extremely readable short story. A tale of tragedy afflicting a family that thought they had found happiness, only to realize a great misfortune. This book is deservedly considered an American classic.

Fly: An Experimental Life
Fly: An Experimental Life
by Martin Brookes

4.0 out of 5 stars The incredible 'Life of Fly'., 28 Sep 2005
Having an interest in evolution as well as a fascination with insects I was led to this unusual book. I wasn't really surprised at how interesting and entertaining it was, as the fruit fly seems to get at least a passing mention in many mainstream popular biological science works. The book was a pleasure to read, and although a difficult book to recommend I think it deserves a wider audience. The book will undoubtedly attract a narrow band of very selective readers but I'm sure that anyone with an interest in science would find the book fascinating.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15