Profile for Jane > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Sing The Delta
Sing The Delta

4.0 out of 5 stars Singing in the bath, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sing The Delta (Audio CD)
Upfront I have to admit I am a bigtime Iris DeMent fan. Even singing in the bath, I am sure she is the best!

There has been a long gap since her last CD and a few years since I have seen her perform live, from this music, it seems a lot has happened in her life. It feels like she is grieving for her parents, especially her mother. It is full of love and regret. It is also very, very sad in places - a difficult journey I am guessing. But Iris still soars.

Election Special
Election Special

5.0 out of 5 stars He is such a great guy, back to the days of political music and activism, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Election Special (Audio CD)
Great stuff on this, kind of 60s old fashioned but with important current lyrics. Loved it all...could have given us a few more tracks though.

That's My Dad
That's My Dad
by Ralph Steadman

5.0 out of 5 stars deep in the gut laughter for small people!, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: That's My Dad (Paperback)
This is the most special book for children between two and five! My son loved it for years and now my grandson is in kinks of laughter with it. Simple text and fantastic illustrations. Time for a reprint!

Landscaping for Privacy: Innovative Ways to Turn Your Outdoor Space into a Peaceful Retreat
by Marty Wingate

3.0 out of 5 stars photos are the best thing, 7 Mar 2012
I bought this book to help me think more creatively about some privacy issues in our garden. Looking at good photographs and reading about the thinking behind some of the solutions usually helps me get to one of those 'ah-ha' moments. So maybe my expectations were too high, I was expecting innovation, as in the subtitle; I was a little disappointed. Having said that, all the ground was covered for the most common problems and common solutions. It IS a good book, not an outstanding book.

A Taste Of Chlorine
A Taste Of Chlorine
by Bastien Vivés

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful to look at and a lovely, if ambiguous, tale, 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: A Taste Of Chlorine (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my Sweetie, a keen swimmer. It is still next to his chair and we both pick it up regularly, to look at it or read it. So it isn't just about the story, it is the graphics, the design and the excellent production values of the book. Love it... especially the drawings on the end pages

Choosing Colours: An Expert Choice of the Best Colours to Use in Your Home
Choosing Colours: An Expert Choice of the Best Colours to Use in Your Home
by Kevin McCloud

5.0 out of 5 stars My copy went missing so had to get another...this book is great, 11 Sep 2011
I have found this book absolutely riveting. I am not so much into interior design I guess, so much as I am very interested in living spaces, light and how we interact with our home environment. This book explains how colours work, combine, and interact with each other. At last, a way of understanding how colour works with climate, the quality of natural light, and texture as well as what just looks so wondeful as an interior. There are colour chips that help us to understand how it is working. On a more ordinary level, you could just decide to copy the interiors in the photos to create a home you love.

Greek
Greek
by Theo Dorgan

5.0 out of 5 stars read and read again, 22 May 2010
This review is from: Greek (Paperback)
This is a wonderful collection. It brings together the Greece of legend, of sunshine and our modern understanding of Greece. A real treat that deserves to be read and reread.

My Abandonment
My Abandonment
by Peter Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars If you believe it thoroughly enough, will it be true?, 20 April 2010
This review is from: My Abandonment (Paperback)
Caroline and her father have a self-made life, living in an urban forest and leaving little trace, either physically or emotionally. Eventually the 'system' discovers them, investigates and decides on a new life for them on a farm. It gradually becomes clear that all is not as it seems, particularly from the perspective of Caroline's father. This is a tale of a family, of damage and of love and protection - but most of all it is about perception.

This is a stunning, challenging book. I originally bought it because it takes place in my 'home' territory in Oregon (which I left nearly 40 years ago); ironic in itself, as the narrator of the story questions the feeling of 'home' and belonging with acute intensity. It is based on a true story, though it is not clear how closely it follows those happenings.

The Nature of Happiness
The Nature of Happiness
by Desmond Morris

4.0 out of 5 stars Happiness: a biological phenomenon, 30 Jan 2010
This is not a 'fix yourself handbook' (thank God) but it is a wonderfully descriptive outline of how our needs, as human apes, are fulfilled in modern society. It is covered in biological, anthropological, emotional and social terms. I love this book and want to give it to lots of friends as presents - though it is not inspirational or uplifiting it deals superbly with our humanity, and just what that means.

I wasn't looking for inspiration, but I am at a change-point in my life, a sort of, let's see what is possible moment. So understanding how I work as a human is helping me get clear about my own happiness. Knowing what makes me happy is a real gift right now and I suspect it may be for others too.

The format is small and compact, a real pocket size, so very portable. Deserves to be read in short pieces.

Warning: if you deny evolution and are offended by those who question the existence of God, don't buy it, you'll only get all hot and bothered.

Salter 1004 SSDR stainless steel square electronic kitchen scales
Salter 1004 SSDR stainless steel square electronic kitchen scales
Offered by Harts Of Stur

5.0 out of 5 stars best ever and easy to store, 9 Dec 2007
this does everything you expect, looks sleek and takes up very little space - can't do better!

Page: 1 | 2