Profile for PAUL > Reviews

Content by PAUL

PAUL (Wantage, United Kingdom)

The Best of The Yardbirds - Shapes Of Things

12. Jeff's Boogie
13. Train Kept A-Rollin'
14. Here 'Tis
15. Lost Women
16. Smokestack Lightning [Live] - (live)
17. Jeff's Blues

16. Mr Zero
17. Honey in Your Hips
18. Sweet Music
19. Steeled Blues
20. Louise [Live] - (live)

GRRR!
GRRR!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: GRRR! (Audio CD)
It's The Rolling Stones, what more do you want? Three CDs of Rock and Blues delivered in their own unique style. Grreat stuff!

The Ringmaster General
The Ringmaster General

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 22 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Ringmaster General (Audio CD)
This and the Blackbird Diaries are the most exciting things I've heard all year! Dave has been plugging into the ether of muse and drinking deeply it seems! Glad he's sharing it with us all.

Cut Price Accessories Motorola Armour Hybrid Hard Shell Case/Skin for Model Dext MB220 (Pink)

4.0 out of 5 stars Check whether item has been updated..., 9 Aug. 2012
I bought some like these in black, but I found that they were made a little too small, which meant that, although they clipped on ok, the front casing split after a few weeks of use. Now, that doesn't mean that these will, but if they do you'll need some superglue for the occasional repair. I still give them 4 stars, as they are otherwise the best protection I can find.

Burn After Reading [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Burn After Reading [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ George Clooney

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype!, 20 Jun. 2009
Despite the big names and creditable performances from Clooney McDormand and Swinton, the film was over-played, with but a few amusing moments. By no means does it deserve the comedy category under which it is mis-classified.

Brad Pitt may have tried hard, but was hopelessly mis-cast, being unable to make a silk purse from the sow's ear of a script. I can only surmise that he enjoyed playing the fool, or was in dire need of the cash.

After half an hour I asked my wife (as she had already viewed it) when was the comedy going to start? She replied that it doesn't! However, I pressed on to the bitter end, out of sheer curiosity, only to find that there was no real conclusion. The film just stopped - with a weak narration of what happened to whom by the CIA chief's aide. I guess the money ran as dry as the ideas.

If you still insist on getting it don't waste your money on the Blu-ray, as the DVD was bad enough. For me, at least, it is more a case of "Burn After Viewing"!

Fable II (Xbox 360)
Fable II (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Fable II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game has kept the children amused for longer than any other I have bought them this year - they rave about it.

The Seldom Seen Kid
The Seldom Seen Kid
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Poetry in disguise, 12 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Seldom Seen Kid (Audio CD)
Like a number of reviewers, I bought this (and another Elbow album) on the strength of the singles - in my case owing to the BEEB's Glastonbury coverage. I think Elbow are one of those groups whose music invites you to love or hate it and I appear to love it, although I didn't know quite why for a while. The instrumentation isn't, in its individual components, earth-shattering (although competent). The lyrics say things expressed by others in various ways, and the thoughts expressed find a home in common experience.

It wasn't until I'd been listening to some Dylan that I realised that Elbow have tapped into that same raw exposure of life and emotion I've always loved. The Seldom Seen Kid has taken that same muse and wrapped it in an eclectic composition worthy of any great artists you care to name. The more I listen to this album the more I get from it! There are subtleties in the way the instruments are blended, then juxtaposed. Grit in the expression of work-a-day life; emotions shared in the cleverly woven lyrics that touch the soul, telling of those moments where most of us fumble to adequately describe how we feel. Like being woken up with an ethereal sledgehammer blow to the psyche.

You either get it, or you miss the point, so I'm glad I got it!