Profile for Lady > Reviews

Wild Things: Funky Little Clothes To Sew
Wild Things: Funky Little Clothes To Sew
by Kirsty Hartley

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and inspiring clothes kids love!, 24 April 2016
I've long been an admirer of Kirsty's work so when the book was released I ordered it straight away. I have not been disappointed with it.

The book is well presented with lovely photographs and lots of ideas. There are lots of different applique templates which you can mix and match to your heart's content.

The book includes patterns for an A line dress, character dresses, character dungarees, baby rompers, sundresses, capes, hats and even a jacket.

I have made one dress from the book, another one is cut out and i have lots more projects planned. The first dress i made was the ALine dress with a rainbow applique. My girl loves it and she looks really cute in it. The dress was easy for me to make.

I do think this book is suited to the seamstress with some experience and not a total novice beginner. This is because of the techniques involved and although I found the instructions clear, they're not illustrated in great detail which is sometimes more useful for a beginner. There is a section of useful information about materials and techniques involved.

The patterns for the clothing are included in the book at full size. You do need to add seam allowance but this is easily done with two pencils taped together! Most of the applique templates will need to be enlarged with a photocopier.

Overall I am very happy with this book and am excited for Kirsty's next book due out later this year.

My Rag Doll: 11 adorable rag dolls to sew with clothes and accessories
My Rag Doll: 11 adorable rag dolls to sew with clothes and accessories
by Corinne Crasbercu

4.0 out of 5 stars A really lovely book, but sewing experience is required., 2 April 2015
Overall I am very happy with this book. It is well presented with lots of beautiful photographs of completed dolls and their variations.

I bought it last year and I have almost completed my first doll which is turning out very well and I am very happy with it. The book I have (which i think is a newer version) does include the full size patterns, however you do need to add on the seam allowances. It states "Full size patterns included" on the front cover, plus the publisher were quite helpful when I asked them for some advice.

As other reviewers have already stated this book is not for beginners, it is better suited to someone with experience of using sewing patterns and being able to follow instructions without the aid of diagrams (of which there are none).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2015 7:09 AM BST

On The Island
On The Island
by Tracey Garvis Graves

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, but only OK..., 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: On The Island (Paperback)
This book was ok. If you don't want to concentrate on deep plots and complex characters then this is the book for you. I didn't "fall in love" with this book, nor did I detest it. It was just OK.

Hello Cupcake!
Hello Cupcake!
by Leila Lindholm

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, great recipes, 9 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Hello Cupcake! (Hardcover)
I own dozens of cookery books - most of them are soley focused on baking. This is the first cupcake recipe book I have purchased. The selection of recipes in this book is really great and to me seems refeshingly different to the other cupcake books I have previously borrowed from the library.

There are a couple of recipes which include coconut, an ingredient I have never been enamoured to use but the bounty cupcakes are really good!

I am really happy with this book. It is well laid out and the photography is beautiful it is a real pleasure to read.

The Tent, the Bucket and Me
The Tent, the Bucket and Me
by Emma Kennedy

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 4 Oct. 2011
I read Emma's other book "I left my tent in San Francisco" and enjoyed that a lot more than this book.

In this book there are some very funny tales which I laughed out loud to, but I really stuggled to finish the book.

I guess for me it didn't live up to the hype.

Jamie's Italy
Jamie's Italy
by Jamie Oliver

4.0 out of 5 stars Mamma Mia!, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Jamie's Italy (Paperback)
I really like this book. It is well presented and the recipies seem to be (well, to an english girl) genuinely Italian.

At the moment I have only made pizza and garlic bread from this book - which were beautiful and light. I do have a long list of other recipes I'd like to try.

Jamie's 30-Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast
Jamie's 30-Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast
by Jamie Oliver

4.0 out of 5 stars It is possible in 30 minutes BUT..., 4 Oct. 2011
It is possible to cook everything in 30 minutes, BUT... you need a good 30 minutes prep to get all the equipment and ingredients to hand and your kitchen will look like a bomb has gone off when you have finished.

I really like this book and I tend to cook from it on a weekend when I am more relaxed and if we have friends over. I find it great fun to challenge myself to try and get it all done in 30 minutes.

I was given this book for Christmas last year and have attempted quite a few of the "menus" from it. Jerk chicken, mustard chicken, seabass, piri piri chicken, chicken pie and I'm sure I've done a couple of others.

The food has always tasted divine, but my only criticism is with the timings - you need to be pretty much spot on otherwise the food can be overdone.

Rachel's Favourite Food at Home
Rachel's Favourite Food at Home
by Rachel Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Rachel, 4 Oct. 2011
I am a very big fan of Rachel's and I purchased this book a while ago after watching re-runs of the accompanying TV series.

The chapters in this book include easy family food, picnics, food for children, extended family, home cinema, big celebrations, edible gifts and many others. I think the way Rachel has categorised the recipes in this book make it a very well rounded cookery book.

I have tried many recipes from this book (and many from Rachel's other books) and our family favourie Chicken, bacon and pea pie comes from this book.

I have found the recipes I have tried to be straight forward with clear instructions.

I would reccommend this book if you were new to cookery books because of the variety of recipes.

Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book
Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book
by Ben R. Cohen

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun book with good recipes, 20 Sept. 2011
I bought this book a year ago and have used it lots of times.

I think most of the original ice cream flavours are in this book, family favourites are oreo cookies and cream, the double chocolate one was also a hit.

The recipes are very easy and if you have an ice cream maker (you really need one). As the recipes aren't cooked I do omit the eggs and it doesn't seem to make any difference to the flavour.

It must also be said that although this is an ice cream recipe book there are lots of other recipes for milkshakes and deserts too. I also really liked the introduction which tells you the story of how Ben and Jerry's was started.

As Ben and Jerry are American - so are the recipes in this book. Please don't let that put you off though, you can buy a set of "cups" for a couple of pounds and I use mine all the time with other American recipes. It really is a simple system to use too.

Baking Made Easy
Baking Made Easy
by Lorraine Pascale

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book with a great no fail macaron recipe, 20 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Baking Made Easy (Hardcover)
This is a really lovely book, it is well written with a great selection on sweet and savory recipes.

I have tried many times at making macarons with no success at all. I was relectant to try Lorraine's recipe, but I am glad I did - I have tried it a few times now and it never fails me.

I have also tried the foccacia bread which is also great.

Lorraine offers some great tips and tricks to get good results when baking. I also like the slight twists she gives on classic recipes.

Page: 1 | 2