Profile for Martin A. Chambers > Reviews

Content by Martin A. Chambers

Martin A. Chambers (U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Gents Gold Plated Rotary Quartz/Battery Watch with Cream Coloured Dial on a Brown Leather Strap, with Day & Date. GS02324/32
Price: 92.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the face, 17 July 2014
What can you say about a watch? It's neat and accurate

Free Yourself from Microsoft and the NSA... Learn Linux and LibreOffice
Free Yourself from Microsoft and the NSA... Learn Linux and LibreOffice
by David Spring M. Ed.
Price: 8.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really worth buying in my view, 17 July 2014
Maybe I should have read the description more carefully. I thought it was going to be a "how-to-do" handbook, but it is just a rant against Microsoft.

Hoffnung At The Oxford Union
Hoffnung At The Oxford Union
Price: 3.41

3.0 out of 5 stars Go one and enjoy the fun, 17 July 2014
A poor recording, but so far as I'm aware the only recording there is, so beggars can't be choosers. It's still funny even after fifty years of hearing it

Ex-Pro Spirit Level Travel Tripod for Digital Camera - Silver
Ex-Pro Spirit Level Travel Tripod for Digital Camera - Silver
Price: 10.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, 17 July 2014
This is certainly worth what I paid for it, That said the adjusting handle broke the first time out, it didn't matter, I was thinking of snapping it off anyway. Don't buy this tripod as your number one tripod, but if you are flying off somewhere it does the job well enough. It is light and firm.

Supping with the Devil: a Monika Paniatowski British Police Procedural (A DCI Monika Paniatowski Mystery)
by Sally Spencer
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep giving them hell our Monika., 17 July 2014
I've read all of the books by Sally Spencer (I think) and I reckon I'll keep reading them.Over about fifteen books I've got to know the characters very well and you reach a position when you know how they will react to the various plot lines. Naturally I like some characters better than others. I wish for example that Dr Shastri featured more and DS Meadows a little less but then you can't get everything you look for. This novel is set in the nineteen seventies, and centers around a rock festival. Once again Monika is out on a limb, but she is well able to look after herself and her team. In this book, as usual we are provided with an interesting and well thought out storyline, but then all Spencer's books are well thought out and their plots plausible. This is an engaging police procedural and well up to the usual standard. One thing I like about Spencer's books is although they are a series, they work well as a stand alone novel. If the author reads this review, and I accept I might have missed it along the line somewhere, but in the next novel please let us know how Monika's mentor is getting along.

Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles)
Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles)
by Jeffrey Archer
Price: 9.00

2.0 out of 5 stars too thin by far, 14 Mar 2014
Being honest at the time of writing this review, I've not read "Be careful what you wish for" and I don't suppose I shall either now thanks to the five star review already given. The first two books in the Clifton Chronicles were very good, the third was poor and far fetched. I might have read volume four it it had completed the saga, just to see what happens, but according to the five star review the story continues into volume five. Well Mr Archer, enough is enough.

When The Devil Drives by Brookmyre, Chris (2012)
When The Devil Drives by Brookmyre, Chris (2012)
by Chris Brookmyre

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better - see me, 1 Dec 2013
Can a book be a misogynist? No? Well maybe it's the author then. Chris Brookmyre has created a perfectly likeable character in the shape of Jasmine Sharp a young and inexperienced private detective, she makes me think of a Scottish Kinsey Millhone. But then what does Brookmyre do with her? Every time she gets into a tight corner in charge the cavalry in the shape of a reformed hoodlum who even his mother couldn't take to. This series lacks the wit of the earlier books, I'll try one more to see if the author will allow Jasmine to develop and if he doesn't I'll call time.
PI Sharp is charged with finding Tessa Garrion who has been missing for thirty years and she goes about it in the way fictional private investigators do. She makes good progress and she is soon hot on the trail. But that is too comfortable for Brookmyre, oh yes, so he adds sex, drugs and snuff movies to the mix. Oh and to really make in unbelievable some famous people with secrets, yes, and he'd better bring in a sharp shooter too. Three hundred and sixty odd pages later things sort themselves out, sort of but he had me completely foxed with the last four words of the text. Did I miss something?

[(Bricks and Mortality)] [Author: Ann Granger] published on (June, 2013)
[(Bricks and Mortality)] [Author: Ann Granger] published on (June, 2013)
by Ann Granger

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 1 Dec 2013
If you removed the clichés from Bricks and Mortality it would probably be a good fifty pages shorter. That said it is an engaging read, but a police procedural it is not. In fact I am at a loss to know into what genre it comfortably fits. A house burns down and a body is discovered in its ruins. Carter and Campbell are charged with discovering whodunit, but very little detecting seems to take place. Granger has a knack of creating likeable characters and in this book for my money there are two, Gervase Crown the owner of the burned down house and Petra a wheelchair bound artist. An incident in the past links these two people and I rather wish Granger had allowed us to get to know these two better, rather than dwell on the rather faceless detectives. Real and even fictional detectives need to do far more than just to wander around aimlessly in the vicinity of the crime in question. This is not great crime fiction, but it is an enjoyable read.

The Ways of the World: (The Wide World - James Maxted 1)
The Ways of the World: (The Wide World - James Maxted 1)
by Robert Goddard
Price: 12.41

2.0 out of 5 stars Only two stars for half a novel, 1 Dec 2013
Unlike many readers I never look at the last page of a book before reading it. Had I done so though, in the case of "The ways of the World", I would not have wasted any my time reading the novel. Robert Goddard is normally too good a writer to resort to such trickery. The experience has left me feeling cheated, Should you decide to buy this novel, do glance at the final page before parting with your cash.

Death's Dark Shadow (A DCI Monika Paniatowski Mystery)
Death's Dark Shadow (A DCI Monika Paniatowski Mystery)
by Sally Spencer
Price: 13.92

5.0 out of 5 stars All that glisters, 30 Nov 2013
In this new DCI Monika Paniatowski mystery Spencer cleverly reworks the enigma of the missing Nazi gold with interesting effect. But there is gold of another type aplenty in this latest in the series with thewelcome but albeit temporary cameo return of Charlie Woodend. To some extent Paniatowski allows herself to take her eye off the ball, she involves her adopted daughter and strays towards a dangerous relationship. This is, as always with Sally Spencer, a real page turner with the author at her very best and it is an exciting police procedural. Buy and enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13