Profile for J. Turley > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Cannibals of Madison County
The Cannibals of Madison County

4.0 out of 5 stars An Appetising Short Story, 8 Feb 2014
I really enjoyed this short story. It's well written, has a few giggles in it and left me feeling hungry for more. A tasty little number!

Philips PerfectCare Pure GC7619/20 Steam Generator with OptimalTemp No Fabric Burns Technology
Price: 99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My marriage is saved - no more burns, 5 Feb 2014
I hate ironing but I have to say my life has improved since I bought this iron. I haven't burnt anything and my husband hasn't locked me in the cellar for burning his shirts. Well done Philips. If you can just invented an automatic toilet brush I'll be a very happy woman.

New - DeskCycle premium quality low profile design mini exercise bike for an invigorating work-workout, turn your office chair into a fitness work station. Smooth, whisper quiet magnetic resistance ideal for office, home or commercial use. Get fit whilst improving your health and productivity, easily fits under a desk or table.
Offered by L.A. Gym
Price: 139.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the bunch, 5 Feb 2014
This is the third cycle of this type that I've had and by far the best. The other two (around the 40.00 mark) didn't last long at all. (Only a couple of months in one instance.) If you're serious about peddling your way to fitness and are going to use one of these regularly then you need this type which has magnetic resistance - not a screw method which just wears out.

My only criticism is that I don't really think any of these bikes truly fit under a desk. This is definitely more compact (height wise) than my previous two bikes but unless you have a desk that is height adjustable or has no back to it you will still need to sit so far away from your desk as to make work impossible. Well not unless you have very long arms. If you have short arms and need glasses like me you'll probably be better off in front of the telly. Works for me!

War Horse [DVD] [2011]
War Horse [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Irvine
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 6.60

5.0 out of 5 stars I ashamed to say it - but I blubbed., 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: War Horse [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Darn it, I cried during this film. And that's not because it was bad but because it was great. It's poignant, terribly sad and has all that sentimental stuff about the futility and stupidity of the first world war that makes you reach for the hankies. It is also heart-warming and uplifting. Michael Morpugo is a such a great writer - if you've not read Private Peaceful then you should do. He may be a children's writer but some of his work is equally readable by adults too. Richard Curtis was part of duo that adapted the screenplay, the film stars Benedict Cumberbatch and there's some very emotional scenes and dare I say it - some very talented horses:) What more could you ask for? All in all, a guaranteed winner. Get your hankies out and be prepared to cry.

Grenade Reload Flapjacks Banoffee Blast Bars - Pack of 24
Grenade Reload Flapjacks Banoffee Blast Bars - Pack of 24
Offered by Fortis Trading
Price: 24.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely tasty protein flapjack bars - it's a miracle!, 5 Feb 2014
I've been trying quite a few protein bars/flapjacks lately and these are by far the nicest. They actually do taste like banana and have a genuine oaty texture which is substantial enough to make it feel like you're having a chew but not so hard as to make you teeth break or leave you still chewing away after ten minutes wondering when you'll be able to take a breath. Well done to the makers. I've just ordered my second box.

The Snowing And Greening Of Thomas Passmore
The Snowing And Greening Of Thomas Passmore
Price: 5.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A lyrical and memorable book, 9 Nov 2013
The title of this book is an indicator of what lies before the reader... a beautiful, lyrical journey of one man's journey to reconcile himself with his past. Rich in description, poignant and a joy to read.

Straight White Male
Straight White Male
by John Niven
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Niven at his best, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Straight White Male (Hardcover)
Nobody makes me laugh like John Niven does. What a talent. He has such a gift for comedy and yet there is a gritty realism to his writing too. I find his writing hugely appealing.There was a greater emotional depth to this book which, for me, gives it the edge over his previous novels. After I'd read Straight White Male I found this article at The Guardian [...] -which probably explains why this novel, despite those laugh out loud moments, is also very poignant.

Baby Proof: A Humorous How-To Guide for Bad Grandmothers
Baby Proof: A Humorous How-To Guide for Bad Grandmothers

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully funny short story, 21 Sep 2013
I chuckled all the way through this short story about a slovenly American grandmother, her relationship with her daughter and granddaughter, and her penchant for corgis. The author's sense of humour is kind of deadpan and understated - it sort of sneaks up on you and finishes with some terrific one-liners. If you like a bizarre story and have a slightly twisted sense of humour you'll like this tale. A big thumbs up from me!

Fifty Fifty
Fifty Fifty

5.0 out of 5 stars A gritty yet poignant war story, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Fifty Fifty (Kindle Edition)
A short war story where two opposing soldiers are separated from their squads and meet on a deserted street in a situation where one will surely have to kill the other to survive. The question is who will be the victor?
I really enjoyed this short story: it was gritty and felt very "real" and yet it also tugged at the heart strings a little and made me think about the futility of war. There could have been several endings to this story: I would have been happy with any of them because in war you just don't know what's going to happen on an individual basis. That said, the chosen ending felt just right.

5 pack GreenLamp 30w (150W equivalent) Daylight Energy Saving CFL SAD bulb Bayonet B22
Offered by Green Lamp
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Light Years Ahead of Ordinary Bulbs!, 20 Dec 2012
My house is now lit up like the spaceship in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. These bulbs are just great - there's absolutely no going back to ordinary bulbs for me!

Page: 1 | 2