Profile for A. Tennent > Reviews

Content by A. Tennent

A. Tennent "Droll Pineapple" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Tefal Rk302e15 8-in-1 Cooker - Slow Cooker, Steamer, Rice Cooker, Porridge Maker (2012 Model)
Price: 55.84

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a decent rice cooker!, 9 Feb 2014
It's not easy trying to get a proper rice cooker in the UK that does not cost the earth. I regretted not buying one in SE Asia and adding it to the mountain of luggage that I was bringing back from my stay over there. Anyway I compromised with this by not buying the 100+ Japanese goodies or the 10+ Chinese cheapies and I am very happy. The instructions say you can bake cakes and all in it but I think I'll just stick to rice - it easily feeds loads of people.

Easy Indonesian: Learn to Speak Indonesian Quickly
Easy Indonesian: Learn to Speak Indonesian Quickly
by Thomas G. Oey
Price: 14.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the teach yourself bahasa books but don't bother with the CD, 9 Feb 2014
This arrived just in time for my trip to bahasa land and I could have done with it a bit earlier - the seller took ages to send it. Meantime I was trying out endless other ones, this was definitely the best by a long shot for what i wanted which was to be able to hold a 5-10 minute conversation with people. If I was going to stay in the region for longer it has a useful vocabulary. bahasa is an easy language to learn to speak badly.

100 Coloured Craft Wooden Mini Pegs - Natural
100 Coloured Craft Wooden Mini Pegs - Natural
Offered by mandy Store
Price: 1.02

3.0 out of 5 stars These are fragile, 9 Feb 2014
But what do you expect at 1p a unit - so value for money they are brilliant but go carefully or you could end up throwing a lot away and upping the unit price

Impex Hi-Tack No-Sew Fabric Glue 60ml
Impex Hi-Tack No-Sew Fabric Glue 60ml
Offered by Crystal Innovation LTD
Price: 3.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the bottle!, 9 Feb 2014
God stuff for fixing craft stuff to fabric - not sure whether it would do more heavy duty but for what I wanted it was perfect which was gluing small pegs to ribbon to make Xmas card holders.

Emma Bridgewater Black Toast Hatched set 4 Mini Spices Tin Caddies
Emma Bridgewater Black Toast Hatched set 4 Mini Spices Tin Caddies
Offered by The Mutt's Nuts
Price: 14.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but could do with more variety of labels, 9 Feb 2014
This is the second batch of these - they are a good size for someone who like to use a lot of spices and there are a couple of blank labels but not enough for those of us who like a whole range of spice tins to match.

Compressed Cellulose Cleaning Sponge - High Quality Cellulose Lateral (Stick) Sponge - 10 mm thick when Expanded , Yellow Colour, Pack of 4
Offered by Suvic Products Limited
Price: 3.50

3.0 out of 5 stars 10mm is not thick enough, 9 Feb 2014
I was delighted to find these dried cellulose sponges as I find them the best for sweeping clean polished granite. The thicker the better as they do not last long if they are too thin and these are. I have not measured them so am assuming that they are as described but it sure does not look like it.

Adam's Peak: A Novel
Adam's Peak: A Novel
Price: 7.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read from Canadian author made possible by Kindle, 9 April 2011
I found this book through a friend, who is from Canada and recommended it. It was spot on the nose, an award has been well deserved and I much enjoyed getting an insight into the canadian suburbs and the issues of immigration into the new world and it's consequent realities. I loved the perceived exoticism and really enjoyed meeting with the characters who populated the story, especially as they were likeable with faults. I'd say that this was a great book to read on a summer holiday and I think anyone with a Kindle would do well to add it to their library, sadly it's not in print in Europe.

Thank You cards - 10 premium quality postcards with envelopes and free delivery
Thank You cards - 10 premium quality postcards with envelopes and free delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, really nice quality, 9 April 2011
Very happy with the quality and representation of this product. The colours were as subtle as shown and I was pleased to be able to send them out to friends as a thank you - lots of positive comments back about how nice it was to receive as well.

My Nepenthe: Bohemian Tales of Food, Family, and Big Sur
My Nepenthe: Bohemian Tales of Food, Family, and Big Sur
by Romney Steele
Price: 20.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity, 19 Jan 2010
A Nepenthe cookbook / memoir should be provide a visual and edible delight to it's readers. Sadly though of interest to those who know the provenance of Nepenthe this seems to be a failed ambition.

The writer, a granddaughter of the original owners of Nepenthe seems to be processing her past in a loving but turgid way. The owners of sucha dynamic place should really jump from the page and the recipes should sing, however the presentation and the ingredients rely on an audience who loves the place and so what could have been an amazing and intersting book does not reach either the cookery or the memoir audiences sucessfully.

I passed this book on quickly to my 85 year old Aunt who had visited Nepenthe many times in her youth and she was disappointed too. What a shame for the author who obviously has a good story to tell.

Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
by Yotam Ottolenghi
Price: 17.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant hit, 19 Jan 2010
I'd bought this book as an early Christmas present for myself, having eaten an Ottolenghi salad at the office Christmas party. It was an instant hit and I was cooking from it the very next day. The food is fresh and delightful, recipies are easy to follow, though I am a competent (not modest) cook and so instinctively carry on.

If you want to eat fresh middle eastern flaroured food this is for you, luckily I live in an area where there are a lot of people from the middle east and so some of the more interesting incredients are within my capabiliy, however for those who don't have smoking dens on the corner of their street there is a useful supplier list at the back. I'd recommend that you get it as there is every chance that a lot of the ingredients are already in your store cupboard if you eat italian, chinese and indian foods.

The recipies range from the more professional meringues to the ribtickling and absolutely delicious and easily acheivable oxtail with squash. I'd taken the book and the oxtail with me to my sister's family at Christmas and it was so well recieved that I had to leave it behind. So I'm due a new one - if anyone wants to gift it I'd be extremely grateful as it has already left a big hole in the bookshelf.

Happy cooking