Profile for Botanics > Reviews

Content by Botanics

Botanics

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Flat Scart Plug Cable / Lead by electrosmart® 21 Pin Straight Scart to 21 Pin Hooked 90 Degree Right Angled Scart ~ Length 2.5m
Offered by electrosmart

2.0 out of 5 stars Only really worth purchasing for one reason, and even then your mileage may vary., 12 Feb. 2015
I was looking to use this cable behind a wall mounted TV where there wasn't much depth to play with. However it doesn't really help because the 90 degree plug fouls the sockets to the side of it. Even if it didn't it wouldn't be much help because the quality really isn't there. Mechanically the plugs aren't anything special and electrically the shielding is very poor.

If you have a TV really tight to a wall and you don't need anything else plugged in next to the SCART, if you can get the plugs well seated and avoid disturbing them, and if you can route it away from sources of interference, then it will probably do a job. None of those things apply for me so it wasn't a good purchase.

Wii HDMI Converter / Wii to HDMI Converter - Scales Wii Signal to 720p and 1080p - WII TO HDMI WII2HDMI 720P OR 1080P VIDEO CONVERTER ADAPTOR HD HDTV + 3.5MM AUDIO
Offered by AbdTech

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but doesn't seem to upscale ..., 12 Feb. 2015
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Not a lot to say about this apart from that it doesn't seem to upscale at all and although there is a hole you can stick a paper clip there doesn't seem to be a switch underneath it. So does the job of freeing up my AV/Component sockets for something else but doesn't really do what it says on the tin.

Belt Pouch Black (5GM000273)
Belt Pouch Black (5GM000273)
Offered by DK Medical Supplies

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems well made but it is tiny and the photo is misleading., 27 Aug. 2014
When I ordered this pouch there were three given dimensions and so I expected it to be nearly as deep as it was high. Certainly the photo makes it look like it has depth. I can't make it look like the photo or quite match the two remaining dimensions given.

It is approximately 10cm wide by 7.5cm high internally but there is no depth to it, it is simply a little pouch. The belt loop will fit a 50mm belt and is nice and wide.

It generally seems well made, it is just very small. You can fit a few Ikea pencils in it so I suppose if you had pens from Argos or bookmakers they'd fit. You might get a pack of Tic-Tacs in it (I haven't tried).

It may well be a bargain if it is what you expected. If I can find a use for it then it may still be.

Yamaha YT100 Electronic Guitar Tuner
Yamaha YT100 Electronic Guitar Tuner

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, light, accurate, long battery life., 22 Mar. 2014
I'm terrible at tuning by ear so I need an electronic tuner. I've had one of these for years now. It is very small, very light, and works well either with its microphone or plugged in. The range is good and the battery life is very impressive. I find it to be very accurate.

Seiko Key Ring Auto Chromatic Tuner
Seiko Key Ring Auto Chromatic Tuner
Offered by Stompbox

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't really work for me., 22 Mar. 2014
When I first got this tuner I was reasonably impressed. It was certainly accurate when it wanted to be though it was never too keen on tuning the sixth string and its range was quite appalling - just a few inches. Since then it has deteriorated. It has needed a new battery every time I have gone to use it (this isn't very often, but surely that is the whole point of it), it struggles to respond to any of the strings even from half an inch away, and it simply can't lock in to the right frequency. When it gets it right it is very accurate, but most of the time it doesn't even come close.

If I had the slightest inkling I might need a tuner on me, I'd stick a Yamaha YT100 in my pocket.

VonHaus Floating Wall Mount Shelf Bracket for DVD, Sky, AV, PS3, XBOX
VonHaus Floating Wall Mount Shelf Bracket for DVD, Sky, AV, PS3, XBOX

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot to like or dislike., 18 Feb. 2014
There isn't too much to like or dislike about this. Ideally the depth would be adjustable but its OK. The supplied fittings don't quite match up with the instructions, but I ended up not using them anyway as the screws and plugs were ridiculously huge. Even if I'd wanted something quite heavy on it instead of a very light DVD player they'd still have been massive.

Highlander Cub Rucksacks - Teal
Highlander Cub Rucksacks - Teal

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK rucksack, but not as good as the older design., 18 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Highlander Cub Rucksacks (Sports)
I've been using a Cub 10 for a while now. It is a nice size for bits and bobs for the school run and for going about town if you don't have lots of pockets. When my first one came apart on a seam I had no hesitation in buying a new one. It was only when I received it that I realised that it had been substantially redesigned.

The old one had those criss crossed cord things on the back. I've never really used those, or indeed known what they were for, so I don't miss those. The old one had the various pockets and pen holders and clips in the small outer compartment. They are now inside the main pocket and of a much less substantial and much cheaper looking design. The most glaring difference is that there is one less compartment. The old design had a second full height zipped compartment in the main part of the bag and that was incredibly useful. It may also have been a weak point in the design as it was between the two zips that the stitching failed.

I use the mesh outer pockets for small water bottles. My first bag lasted a couple of years without any problems, the new one lasted a couple of weeks before the mesh started ripping on both pockets. An amateurish repair with a needle and thread has held it together but it was rather disappointing.

So on the whole this is an OK bag. It is reasonable value. However it is a cheaper design and perhaps not of quite the same quality as the previous version which was a bargain.

5 Star Whiteboard Drywipe Magnetic with Pen Tray and Aluminium Trim W900xH600mm
5 Star Whiteboard Drywipe Magnetic with Pen Tray and Aluminium Trim W900xH600mm
Offered by Packaging.Products.Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bargain, but its OK. Not very magnetic. Mind yourself on the pen tray if you use it., 9 Feb. 2014
This one is a hard one to rate. If it really does retail somewhere at about £80 and you paid that amount then you'd rate it one star at most, and indeed you'd feel seriously ripped off. If you could get it for a tenner you'd probably say five star. The £18-£19 Amazon charged actually seems to be the going rate and to my mind it is no better than I'd expect for that price so I'm giving it three stars.

I've no idea who the person was who apparently signed for the 'delivery' of the package, but my neighbour found it half way up the garden path and took it in. The board comes wrapped in cellophane with the four corners protected by corrugated card, four pieces of polystyrene doing something somewhere, and the whole lot inside a corrugated card box. Not super robust by any means but not too bad. Wrapped up with the board itself is the removable pen tray, the four corner pieces, and a bag containing four screws, five (!) wall plugs and the tiniest of instruction sheets to point out where the screws went and where the corner pieces go, though it is pretty obvious.

The board couldn't be described as robust, but although it is quite thin it isn't too flimsy either. There is the odd gap in places between the trim and the board showing it isn't really of the highest quality. The pen tray is a cheap and nasty bit of grey plastic with vicious pointed corners and really rather disappointing.

Having put it up on the wall, which was easy (I used the screw mounts, I didn't look closely to see if there was a way of hanging it but I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed if there was), I did notice there was a bit of a dent in the board at the exact point where the light reflected on it. Had I mounted it the other way up I probably wouldn't have spotted it. I haven't noticed any other blemishes.

Apart from that, it's a white board and it is magnetic. That's about it. The £18 and a bit I paid for it really is at the top end of a fair price for it. It isn't the bargain it might seem at first but its OK.

Updates:

I said above that 'it is magnetic'. Indeed it is, but not particularly so. If you think you can, for example, just remove stuff from your fridge door and stick it on this noticeboard you may well be out of luck. Any given magnet will hold a lot less to this noticeboard than it does to a fridge.

Looking at the other reviews it does sound like we are not all talking about the same product. As stated in the review my board did come with a mounting kit including limited instructions. It did not come with any care instructions as others seem to have done. It does not have any hanging points, as others seem to have done. Also my board isn't quite like the photo in the Amazon listing which seems to have relatively small grey corner pieces. Mine are black and much larger.

[Bamboo]ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7 ME173X Book style Leather Case Cover Stand For ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7 ME173X + Pen,Blue
Offered by KEPUCH

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, and there isn't a pen (Update: at least not every time)., 21 Oct. 2013
Firstly, I don't know why it says '+ Pen' in the item title. The description doesn't say there is a pen, although one appears in a couple of the photos, and indeed it doesn't come with one (well mine didn't and it was a sealed package so couldn't have fallen out). Pen loop, yes. Pen, no.

Update: I have just purchased another of these cases and this one does indeed have a pen/stylus. The rest of the review still stands.

There is a little slack in the fit so the front camera in particular can get out of bonk with the hole but you'd spot that on the screen if you were taking a picture and deal with it. There is an opening for the power and volume buttons at the side but the actual buttons are slightly underneath the unit so they aren't as accessible as they might be. I don't think I will find this a great problem as I don't really need to access either button with great regularity and it may actually stop me hitting them accidentally.

My cover does not turn off the screen automatically when closed (and yes I do have the setting enabled).

Other than that it seems an OK case for the money though time is needed to tell how robust it is. I wouldn't want to pay the suggested retail price as that would be laughable, but delivered for about a tenner seems fair.

Humax DTR-T1010 500GB YouView HD TV Recorder with Freeview
Humax DTR-T1010 500GB YouView HD TV Recorder with Freeview

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs work from all concerned..., 11 Aug. 2013
I think this is potentially a very good product but three things stop it from being great.

1) The Youview software is yet to exploit the full capabilities of the Youview specified hardware and the plug and play approach makes it feel a bit dumbed down. It needs something to keep the techies happy. I know it is continually being worked on but it does feel like it ought to be much further on in its evolution than it is.

2) The Youview documentation again feels a bit too dumbed down. I was left wondering where the proper Humax user manual was. I don't think the flap on the front is mentioned anywhere, let alone the USB port inside it. Indeed I don't even remember it mentioning the on/off and cursor buttons on the front panel, just the remote control.

3) The real selling point for me was the ease of access to the On Demand (or 'catch up') services. Unfortunately those services are also the weak link. So far my limited experience is:

BBC - Has worked perfectly on every occasion I've tried it.
ITV - Has only been tested briefly when other players were failing but seemed to be working fine.
Channel 4 - Constant modal error messages about lack of bandwidth when tried so haven't been able to use.
Five/Milkshake - The initial adverts and the programmes suffer from severe bandwidth problems during weekdays and in the evenings (this happens on PCs too and with high speed corporate connections), though the mid-programme adverts work fine. Basically it is unusable during those times unless you are happy to watch thirty seconds or so, wait as it stutters along for thirty seconds, rewind, watch thirty seconds etc etc. However on a Sunday morning it seems to work absolutely perfectly.
Dave - Buffering problems with adverts but actual programmes seem to be fine.
Sky - Haven't tried yet.

The other problem with the On Demand services is that they all use their own individual interfaces. There really needs to be a consistent look and feel.

So I've mixed feelings about this one. For me Youview needs to provide some significant functional upgrades pretty smartish. Humax need to package the box better and provide a more specific technical manual. The registration form even quotes a broken URL. Some of the On Demand providers either need to dramatically improve their services or they need to demonstrate to an awful lot of dissatisfied customers why it is all the fault of their own connections or their ISPs. It should just be better than it is.

I'm almost inclined to make this three star review rather than a four star one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4