Profile for Thom B > Reviews

Content by Thom B

Thom B

Page: 1 | 2
Large Black Hard Evernote Business Notebook (Moleskine Evernote)
Large Black Hard Evernote Business Notebook (Moleskine Evernote)
by Moleskine
Edition: Diary
Price: 16.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but a few caveats, 21 Jun 2014
I'll try not to go into too much details here:

Pros:
+ Comes with three months of Evernote Premium - itself 'worth' 12 quid, so in essence you're getting a reasonable package deal here for Evernote and a moleskine.
+ Moleskine itself is of (expectedly) high quality, and I really enjoy the use of Evernote's (unusually strong) aesthetics.
+ Pages split into 'public' and 'private' - can be ignored entirely but essentially gives you the option to only share the top part of a page (not having to manually crop it out yourself). Understandably good feature for business.
+ Stickers work as advertised, and you can even change what they mean or do within the app - ie what to tag the page with and what notebook to assign to. Incredibly useful in that sense if you have multiple notebooks etc, although I admit I don't really use Evernote that much.
+ Option to tick a box on each page to tag the entire page as a reminder.
+ Green ribbon can be used to tell the document camera where the 'edge' of the page is - incredibly smart feature.
+ Because you can tag pages etc, you don't really need to write pages one after the other. You can tag a 'work' page then a 'home' page and both will be seperated and strung together after being scanned.
+ OCR is very accurate on handwriting, making it all searchable.

Cons
- Lines are far too small - I admit I bought this as a 'multi-purpose' notebook but the small size of the lines is effectively slowing down my writing speed so do not buy this book if you intend to write in prose (simply put).
- The blank space between 'public' and 'private' can be ignored but it's still a PITA if you intend to use the entire page.
- Document scanner is simply crap - I have used Evernote on iPad, Android (Note III) and Windows Phone 8 and for every one, I had to take multiple shots. The scanner did not straighten out the page, the ribbon had to be pulled taught (annoying) and either the camera would not crop at all, or would 'overcrop' the page for no good reason, even cutting out (and not recognising) the stickers I put at the top of the page. "Pain in the ass" does not come close.
- Making this its own seperate con - despite this being 'specialised' with special Evernote lines, it did not straighten out the page so the writing itself looks warped in places. I may as well use a different app.
- For a 'Business' notebook, it simply does not come with enough 'work' stickers.
- Can only do one page at a time despite green divider, and good luck getting the camera to take the shot successfully the first time around.

Next time, I think I'll try the normal large Evernote Moleskine to see if the results are better. That being said, since the OCR works on non-Evernote document scans anyway (ie just pure photos), I'm more tempted just to try an ordinary notebook next time, because it seems to work just as well, and you only need to take the photo once!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2014 5:20 PM BST

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Saddle Tan (will only fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Price: 29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Feb 2013
I don't like being the guy posting a negative review, but I do feel compelled to share my criticisms of this item in order to offer a counter-point.

My main problem is with the cover's weight; effectively doubling the kindle's mass (from 213g to 372g). This is really noticeable, simply because the 'naked' kindle feels weightless to hold; the effect is completely lost with the addition of the cover. This also leads to the device requiring more grip at to hold at awkward angles, i.e. in bed. The reason I consider this to be such a big deal is because the cover effectively cancels out my favourite aspect of the Paperwhite; an aspect that probably took a lot of clever engineering to achieve. This leads onto my second criticism.

The weight of the cover would be a non-issue if the kindle was easy to remove from its enclosure; however, it isn't. The inside of the cover is made out of a relatively rigid 'flexible' plastic that appears to be designed with the intention of constantly remaining on the device (making me wonder even more about the weight). In order to get the device out of the cover, you need to awkwardly grip the lower-right of the cover with your fingers as you 'palm' the device out with a fair amount of force. This is simply not a practical thing to do on a constant basis.

As a result, the cover is now in the drawer, which is a shame (and a waste of its fairly high price tag).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2014 10:39 AM BST

Honeywell HT900E Turbo Fan
Honeywell HT900E Turbo Fan
Offered by eGadgetland
Price: 47.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Been running it 24/7 for a year now!, 26 Jun 2012
This fan has run 24/7 on my windowsill for a year now, and hasn't wavered once. I was initially disappointed that it was plastic and not metal, however as its sole purpose was to sit on my windowsill and blow in cool air, this actually became a benefit as rust from rainwater was not a factor. While i doubt its waterproof, it has managed to blow rain into the room (to my extreme bemusement) without blowing up itself.

All in all, a great fan and I'll probably be buying a second one now.

Virtua Tennis 4 (PS Vita)
Virtua Tennis 4 (PS Vita)
Offered by DVDGAMING DIRECT
Price: 11.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game, best handheld launch title ever?, 23 Feb 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this because of Amazon's launch offer, as I was a big fan of Virtua Tennis 3 on the 360. I hadn't picked up Virtua Tennis 4 for any other platform before because reviews said it was too similar. I probably should have completely ignored that, in retrospect, as that logic doesn't seem to apply when reviewing other sports games such as football games.

It is full-blown Virtua Tennis, deeper than ever before and even further refined. The graphics are insanely clean looking and the gameplay is great. The World Tour mode is unusual - they've replaced the rotating globe with... a board game, where you move a certain number of spaces (and you 'do' whatever you land on). Oddly enough, this works amazingly well, adding a new depth to the game. Having to plan your 'moves' along a multi-branched path along the globe in advance so you don't miss an entire tournament or exhaust yourself adds a lot of strategy and variety to the game - the randomness of it all means you're not going to bore yourself to death playing that one minigame over and over until you've leveled up enough. It works really well, despite how weird it all sounds.

Anyway, I find the game to be completely flawless, it is a worthy sequel and I will undoubtedly lose an insane amount of time to it. Honestly, if you've played and enjoyed any of the previous Virtua Tennis games, you won't be disappointed. Gets five stars without doubt.

Wipeout 2048 (PS Vita)
Wipeout 2048 (PS Vita)
Offered by Global Xpress
Price: 15.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes a while to warm to, from a series fan, 23 Feb 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This game was the reason I bought the Vita, and with the widely publicized Vodafone offer, the reason i went for the 3G model. I am a huge Wipeout fan, and I honestly believe Wipeout HD to be the best Playstation 3 game out. I had extremely high hopes for this game.

My hopes are met; it just took a while to get there. I initially found the graphics to be very underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, it is the best looking PlayStation Vita game I've seen; let there be no doubt, if you got ten gamers who knew nothing about the PlayStation Vita, and somehow managed to hook the Vita up to a TV and handed them a controller, not a single one would be able to tell that they were playing a handheld game. The graphics are *that* good.

The thing that really gets me though is the framerate. The game is capped at 30 FPS, but its not a solid 30 FPS either, and while the graphics have that 'wow' factor, the abundance of bloom and detail, possible anti-aliasing (maybe just blur) combined with moments where weapons start flying and FPS dips result in moments where you can see bleep all and end up face-first in the side of the track. These moments, thankfully, are few and far between, but I would gladly have taken less impressive graphics in exchange for 60 FPS, especially after being spoilt by Wipeout HD's 1080p/60 FPS gameplay. I really think that the low framerate impedes gameplay a lot.

That isn't a dealbreaker, however. Something that really does come close to being a dealbreaker is the loading times. Holy flip do they suck, with loading times up to a minute long for some events. Between the fast paced racing, the electronic soundtrack and the visual overstimulation we've come to know and love from Wipeout, the last thing I want to do is stare at a loading screen for a minute straight - and this is after a patch that's supposed to have improved the loading times. It is unforgivable, and literally acts as a disincentive to play the game - I seriously sometimes think "nah, i can't be bothered playing Wipeout at the minute because i can't be bothered with the loading times".

The zone events are back, and while they look a bit like the Zone events from Wipeout HD, the track doesn't appear to act as a fancy visualizer or respond to the music in any way - it just changes colour in a psychadelic style. While it still looks cool, it could be joked in Zone that the game merely looks like its been fed some dodgy graphics drivers.

It's a dirty shame too, because the game itself is pure Wipeout bliss - it just took a fair few races before the aforementioned niggles faded away and I was able to truly enjoy the game itself. Obviously I don't feel ripped off because of the Vodafone offer, but I may have felt differently had I bought a boxed copy of this at launch. It should be noted that the game is due to receive all the content from Wipeout HD + Fury as free DLC, which is great news. I would say its a five star game with fixable flaws big enough to subtract two stars - hopefully further patches can fix these problems!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2012 9:03 PM BST

Oehlbach SPEED MATRIX - High Speed HDMI® Cable 1,5m - 7001
Oehlbach SPEED MATRIX - High Speed HDMI® Cable 1,5m - 7001

1.0 out of 5 stars Not pleased, 1 Nov 2011
Decided to order this, however, despite what I thought would happen, the picture quality of my 5 year old 14" Bush HD ready TV didn't get any better, and ladies do not find me more sexually attractive (it certainly didn't grow longer either). When my wife found out how much I spent, she had a heart attack and died. Worst of all, it doesn't even support 3D! Avoid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2011 7:37 AM GMT

Secret Diary [Us Import]
Secret Diary [Us Import]
Price: 20.60

1.0 out of 5 stars What is this crap, 8 Oct 2011
I did what most do once they discover a great album - check out the responsible artist's back catalogue.

Long story short, words cannot describe this crap. Apparently under the genre of 'glitch', it really does sound like your media player of choice has been dropped into the bath or something. It literally gave me a headache!

At least it helps his fantastic albums look better, I suppose!

Corsair CSSD-F120GB3-BK Force Series 3 120GB Solid State Drive  - Read 550MB/s, Write 510MB/s
Corsair CSSD-F120GB3-BK Force Series 3 120GB Solid State Drive - Read 550MB/s, Write 510MB/s
Offered by Appods
Price: 104.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Received a dodgy post-recall one, 3 Sep 2011
Personal experience of this drive wasn't great. Artificial benchmarks were giving me a performance boost of more than double my previous SSD (Vertex 2), but real world performance increases were basically non-existent. Regardless, this would have been a five star drive *if* I hadn't had problems.

Unfortunately it is only this specific drive that seems to have problems. Three times within the past three weeks it corrupted in a bizarre way - I'd have to reinstall the Windows bootloader with the installation disc as the computer just literally wouldn't boot. Another strange error that has happened a few times as well is that the drive just suddenly dropped out - as far as the computer was concerned, it had been yanked out. In fact, pressing the reset button on the computer after the inevitable BSOD would show that not even the computer's BIOS was able to see the drive at all, with only a cold boot suddenly bringing the drive back into existence. This was bad enough in itself, but it caused extra irritation as it triggered a verification/rebuild of my 8TB RAID 5 array every time - which can take upwards of 18 hours to finish. Corsair's own suggestions to fix any problems, such as upping the motherboard's voltage or using a shorter SATA cable seemed daft, especially considering that I had no problems with any of the other SSDs that I've owned.

I can appreciate that I've probably just been unfortunate enough to get a bad drive. However, the experience has been a bit too sour for me to accept a replacement, and I've opted for a refund instead so that I can try a different brand.

The Ultimate Proof of Creation
The Ultimate Proof of Creation
Price: 6.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint-hearted., 9 Mar 2011
I'm a Theology student, and was recently doing a second-year exam. The question was ' "Christian faith is incompatible with a scientific worldview". Discuss'. Completely ignoring the course material, I used the material in this book to attack the coherence of the question. My lecturer and marker, a theistic evolutionist who taught at Yale, didn't agree with me at all, but was so impressed by my answer, and courage for attacking the question itself, that I was awarded a first-level mark.

The book itself displays the inner coherence and stability of the Christian worldview. Great read, don't be put off by the "creationist" label, it's sound argument that even gets into mathematical logic. As such, Lisle demonstrates well that most arguments thrown against the Christian worldview fail simply because their foundations are shaky. Also gets into the philosophy of science, one of my biggest interests. As someone who was raised in Athiesm but is now a Christian, I found this book particularly intriguing, being able to understand both sides of the argument.

I hate emotional, angry, pseudo-intellectual "rhetoric" employed in books concerning science and religion, regardless of what side they're on, so I find any pleasantly-written book a pleasure. Lisle joins Alister McGrath and C.S Lewis, in the list of Christian apologists that don't tempt me into rolling my eyes while I read their work.

Would, and have, recommended the book to any and all.

Razer Black Widow Gaming Keyboard (UK Layout)
Razer Black Widow Gaming Keyboard (UK Layout)
Offered by Ordel

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite frankly, it makes even my MacBook Pro's keyboard feel cheap, 9 Mar 2011
There's not too much you can say about a keyboard... the resistance on these keys are non-existant. It feels like my reaction times on online FPS games have improved. Between this and a configured Logitech G9X, my online performance has gone from average, to great. Was bad equipment a limiting factor?

I also have slightly bent baby fingers, which is a bit of a weird condition. The actualtion force on the keys is dramatically less, meaning I can crouch (ctrl) using my baby fingers far more easily, Before, it was uncomfortable to do so.

The keyboard itself looks far more classy in real life. The macros are a good feature but I never use them. But yes, a mechanical keyboard is a bit like a SSD - once you use one, you'll not want to go back!

However, as these keyboards use "blue" Cherry MX switches, the keyboard is quite loud. Bit like typing on a typewriter. It'll be no concern to the user, but may be annoying to others, especially if you're typing in close proximity.

You'll see other gaming keyboards, cheaper and more expensive, but if they're not mechanical, don't bother! Would recommend this to anyone, gamer or not.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2013 1:45 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2