Profile for Jonathan > Reviews

Rockoff Trade Men's Sesame Street Monster Face Crew Neck Short Sleeve T-Shirt
Rockoff Trade Men's Sesame Street Monster Face Crew Neck Short Sleeve T-Shirt
Price: £12.53 - £13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great T shirt, a talking point for sure!, 26 Jan. 2012
Bought this a few days ago on a whim, and I have not been disappointed!

The delivery was as quick as ever from Amazon, and after wearing it for a day, I must say it was worth the money.

Firstly, I am a skinny bloke, so I went for the small, but it was actually slightly smaller than other similarly sized T shirts I wear. So I'm not sure why people are saying this is bigger than usual. But it still fits well, and lets the ladies see my body that little bit better ;)

The face is obviously hilarious on the front, and it seems to be of good quality. I haven't washed it yet, but it looks durable and seems to be stuck on well.

The t shirt is definitely a talking point, especially at Uni. I've had multiple people come up to me and compliment my choice, so it definetely makes a fashion statement.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. It was slightly expensive, but it at least is decent quality, and makes a stir at parties or even just out shopping etc!

The Korean War - 1950-1953
The Korean War - 1950-1953
by Carter Malkasian

5.0 out of 5 stars A very well written, concise book on the Korean War, 8 May 2011
While there are literally thousands of books, and probably millions of bits of media on World War 2; the Korean war is under represented. However, I wanted to know more about this war in which thousands of British and American troops served in, and so having searched for a while for an easy to read, lucid account on the Korean War, I settled on the Osprey Essential Histories Version.

For some one like me, who has very little knowledge of this essential conflict, the book is an excellent guide. Unlike some other military history books, it is not extremely dry, and the pictures of soldiers fighting or maps of the overarching offensives are very well placed and really break the book up into manageable chunks.

The writer obviously knows what he is talking about, and provides references and citations throughout. He clearly explains the context of the war, and why and how certain offensives or even commanders did not work well.

An excellent book, well worth reading for a quick but thought provoking and factual account of the Korean war, perhaps one of the most important wars of the 20th century.

Sakura SS3600 Universal Rubber Car Mat Set
Sakura SS3600 Universal Rubber Car Mat Set

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product for those looking for cheap but decent rubber car mats, 8 May 2011
Having got constantly annoyed at the amount of mud and dirt I seem to get in the foot wells of my car, no matter how much I clean my shoes, I decided to plump for this 4 pack of sakura rubber mats. They have definitely been worth the money.

Some people complain that on cheaper rubber car mat sets, the smell is quite unbearable, and does not go away with use. However, while these did have quite a powerful scent, within a few days of use the smell ceased. The actual mats themselves seem well made, and aren't very thin like some other budget mats I saw in various shops. They are extremely grippy and have a small dip where your feet are so that dirt can be easily swept off when it gets too much.

As usual, very fast delivery from Amazon. However, one thing to point out was that these 4 mats came in a huge box, at least three or four times the size of the mats themselves. While I like to see the seller has gone to some trouble to keep the products from being damaged, this huge box and metres of brown wrapping paper the mats were engulfed in was a bit much! Overall, a very good purchase. If you are looking for an inexpensive set of mats for the car, but aren't willing to sacrifice quality, I would definitely recommend these!

M-Wave Frame Corner Bag
M-Wave Frame Corner Bag
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way to carry your valuables etc on your bike., 9 April 2011
This review is from: M-Wave Frame Corner Bag (Misc.)
I had worried that since I do a lot of Mountain biking, the product would come off after a particularly nasty fall or skid, but there really is nothing to worry about. The Velcro is extremely tough, and even after a few test pulls, would not budge from its position.

However, even though I have a nice straight right angle below the seat where this is supposed to hang, I found that the right hand part of the bag is not quite vertical and so you will have to pull it tightly to get the strap around the frame triangle. Nevertheless, the Velcro as mentioned is more than up to the task of keeping the bag steady, so it's only a very minor complaint. After a bit of fiddling to get the product on the bike, I was very impressed.

The stated capacity of 0.6 litres seems a bit optimistic to me, at least in usable terms. However, like most people, I bought this bag to carry around a few essentials and valuables. It can swallow up my keys, mobile, spare inner tube (without packet), a slim digital camera, a handy packet of sweets, and my two (very small) LED lights with some room to spare. It also leaves enough room on the frame to strap on your water bottle and have access to it. I even tried stuffing my vest in a few days ago when it got too hot. It was a bit tough getting it all in, but it did zip up, even with a camera and phone in there too!

Overall, I am very happy with this product. The price of just below £7 is about right I think, and if you have a mainly black bike like I do, it goes quite nicely too. The Velcro holding it in place is very strong and definitely not liable to fail on you, and it swallows up the bike riders essentials easily. An excellent purchase and I would definitely recommend it to any cyclist who is fed up of their keys etc falling out of their pockets!

Stagg SCPM-C Curved Metal Capo for Electric and Accoustic Guitars
Stagg SCPM-C Curved Metal Capo for Electric and Accoustic Guitars

4.0 out of 5 stars For under £3 it's very good., 19 Mar. 2011
Bought this as I don't play the guitar enough to warrant a purchase of an expensive capo. It does exactly what it says on the tin, and I have used it on the second and fourth frets and so far it has held all the strings in place and tightly. The delivery was also quick and it came well packaged.

One minor inconvenience is that sometimes you have to readjust it to make sure it is pressing down on all six strings, but for under £3 I can't really complain. It does what it says on the tin, and it does it well!

Tone Deaf Music Guitar Picks/Plectrums with Pick Holder (Pack of 10)
Tone Deaf Music Guitar Picks/Plectrums with Pick Holder (Pack of 10)
Offered by Tone Deaf Music

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good selection of Plecturms, 9 Feb. 2011
The item contains 10 plectrums of 4 different thickness's. I play an acoustic guitar, and I found the larger thickness's (0.96mm) a bit too fat for my string, but the rest were fine. Most of mine were matte in texture, and even the shiny ones were quite grippy so no complaints.

The holder was a little bit of a disappointment. Obviously most reviewers have found out it only holds 4 picks, but to be honest I only use 2-3 when practising different styles of songs most times, so it's fine for me. However it is made of cheap, tacky plastic and I can till it will lose its' hold after a while, but I don't mind as I see it as a kind of extra anyway.

Overall the picks are of good quality. Seeing as I used to buy my ones for 50p each, 10 of these for £2.91 plus a holder is a good deal in my books. For those annoyed at the quality of the holder itself, just remember the picks are the main reason you are buying this, and it cost £3 for 10. Anything on top of that for this price is just an extra!

Orange San Francisco  Pay As You Go Mobile Phone including £10 Airtime - White
Orange San Francisco Pay As You Go Mobile Phone including £10 Airtime - White
Offered by Technomobiles

4.0 out of 5 stars A cheap smart phone that surprises you with its feature list!, 9 Feb. 2011
Having cost a penny under a £100, the mobile is truly above my expectations; having wifi ,3G, a 3 MEGA PIXEL camera, blue tooth, a decently fast web browser and full access to the android web market and coming with an android operating system. I have never owned a smart phone before, but the list of features is amazing.

The body of the phone is made of a white, hard plastic that seems quite tough. It may look a bit tacky to some, but having owned a line of black and drab normal mobiles since I bought my first one, I thought I might as well get some a bit more vivid! The screen is very, very sharp for its small size and text and photos etc appear with just the right amount of contrast and brightness. Obviously you can change the screens brightness from the menu if you want a brighter/darker screen though. I have read that this is the first sub £100 capacitive touch screen phone (same one as used on the £300+ iphone 4), and it is very good. I have an itouch as well, and while it is not quite as accurate as the apple product, it comes very close which is surprising given that the itouch was almost double the price when it was bought last year. I would recommend if you use facebook/youtube a lot on your old mobile,, to buy the "dolphin" orange deal, which gives you 100 Meg of free internet every time you top up £10, as well as 300 texts.

The operating system is nice and quick when you click on an icon (quite firmly it must be said sometimes though), but it does take a while to boot up, but seeing as this is basically a mini computer, I guess it would. Another slight annoyance is a tendency sometimes to have 2 or fewer signal bars (even though I live near the centre of a large city, however this only happens on occasion, so it's not a deal breaker.

Overall, this is an excellent phone for the price. If you want a cheap but certainly not rubbish touch screen mobile for just under £100, then I would recommend this one.

Mums Still Know Best: The Hairy Bikers' Best-Loved Recipes
Mums Still Know Best: The Hairy Bikers' Best-Loved Recipes
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent cook book for many occasions (and occupations!), 9 Feb. 2011
Being a student at University, I won't mind to admit that a) my budget can be rather limited sometimes and b) I am not the best cook in the world. Yet this book solves both dilemmas, as most of the dishes are made up of ingredients that are easily sourced and cheap, and all of the recipes are explained in a fashion simple enough for the average cook, but with enough detail to not condescend.

I got this book yesterday on pre-order, and it has been great for me, as well as my picky flatmates. I didn't purchase the first book, but my Mum had borrowed the original a few times, so sent me the follow up. I wonder if she was trying to tell me something about the quality of my food?!

Anyway, the recipes themselves are simple, concisely worded and most, not all, come with diagrams to see (hopefully!) what the finished article will look like. You can tell that the editors went to a lot of trouble to search for the best of the hairy bikers recipes, as well as the best from mums around the country. No recipe is too hard, or out of place.

Since I have had it only a short while, I will only give you a bit of detail on the two dishes I have so far made. But, trust me, the rest of the dishes look very edible and lovely too.

I made a "Mamas Curry" and a fruity chocolate cake. Both of these recipes and all the others include short intros to get "a feel" for them, and for you to decide if it is too much of an undertaking or not. I have made curry before, so their take was easy to make and the suggested ingredients were cheap and not too different from the standard curry, so no complaints.However I had never made the pear and chocolate cake before, but it turned out great due to good directions and some luck!

Overall a great cooking book for students on a budget (as many of the recipes are cheap as mentioned), but also as a general purpose cookbook, as other recipes look a bit more expensive and hard to make but this may suit others looking for a challenge or something for that get-together.

Morphy Richards Accents 43171 Jug Kettle, Green
Morphy Richards Accents 43171 Jug Kettle, Green

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Morphy Richards kettle., 5 Feb. 2011
After my £8 tesco value kettle broke, I thought I would splash the cash a bit and go to a morphy richards one instead.

So far, it has been a worthy investment; it boils slightly quicker than most kettles I have had- It takes just under 2 and a half minutes to boil 1 litre of water (that's enough for roughly four cups of tea etc). Asking round, this seems to be a good performance.

As the previous reviewer said, it is rather loud, but I have yet to hear a really quiet kettle! The blue light may seem a bit tacky at first, but it does make the kettle a bit more interesting to look at and does give a quick visual indicator that it's turned on.

It's quick to fill up and the "chrome" trim and reserved green colour means it goes well in most kitchens.

Overall a good kettle, has taught me a lesson never to skimp on the family kettle. Amazon as usual were faultless, and the product arrived within 2 business days.

ATH: OCR A Historical Themes: Russia and its rulers 1855-1964
ATH: OCR A Historical Themes: Russia and its rulers 1855-1964
by Andrew Holland

5.0 out of 5 stars A great textbook for those studying this specific course!, 5 Feb. 2011
Having previously bought a similar textbook that covered the period 1855-1964 (flagship history), but not the exact OCR specification, I was thoroughly pleased with this purchase.

As most of you know, the OCR exam on this period is more about exam technique and writing about as many comparisons and differences as you can, not so much about knowledge. This book is perfect for thi. Instead of just following a broadly chronological path like the flaship history one, and throwing as much knowledge as possible at you; it divides the book up into the seperate themes that OCR recommends on its specification. For example, the economy, social changes etc. This really helps when revising, as you can write notes on all the seperate themes and construct essays much easier than if you had to search for all the themes in a purely chronological textbook.

The actual wording of the textbook is great, not too stuffy but the author certainly does not talk down to you. The amount of detail is just right, and while some may say the abudance of graphs and tables may get boring, I would totally disagree. It makes an interesting change to pages of text and puts important events such as Wittes' "Great spurt" into context by showing you how large the improvements to the Russian economy were. The use of little boxes to the side of the main body of text that either explain a bolded words meaning or give more knowledge of an important russian figure were also excellent and stopped me from going off track to look them up on the internet.

The essays at the end of each themed chapter were also excellent. The author shows us a great A/A* answer then compares it to a lower C grade answer. You really get a feel for how to structure and write about all types of essays, and were of definite use to me while revising.

Overall a solid 5 stars from me, an excellent textbook for revision for the OCR exam, as well as an interesting read for those who like this period of history!

P.S. if you ARE doing the OCR A Historical themes: Russia and its rulers, I really recommend you get THIS book, and not "Flagship History - Russia 1855-1964". I have done a review on it and it is nowhere near as easy to revise or read from as this textbook!

Page: 1 | 2