Profile for Russel Khan > Reviews

Startech USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station for Dual 2.5/3.5 inch HDD
Startech USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station for Dual 2.5/3.5 inch HDD
Price: 50.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, and fast too!, 17 April 2014
Bought this to replace an older unit which started acting up. That one was USB2 and right away I noticed that this unit was MUCH faster! Highly recommended, provided you have a USB3 port.

Samsung SSG-51002 Battery Operated 3D Active Glasses (Pack of 2) (New for 2013)
Samsung SSG-51002 Battery Operated 3D Active Glasses (Pack of 2) (New for 2013)
Offered by Leon Limited
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Panasonic, 17 April 2014
I can confirm that these work with my Panasonic ST50 series plasma. They're MUCH cheaper than Panasonic's own ones and work just as well.

FYI these are identical to this product: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BKWBL9G which is sold as a single unit.

Dell U2913WM 29 inch Widescreen LED Monitor (2560x1080, HDMI, DVI-D, DisplayPort 1.2, Mini DisplayPort, VGA, 4x USB 3.0)
Price: 331.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic monitor!, 17 Sep 2013
Unlike a few of the other reviewers, I didn't notice any quality control issues. My sample was well put together, at least as good as my previous monitor (a Samsung 24" LCD). The stand is simple but effective. Most importantly, the image quality is excellent. Text is sharp, and I have not noticed any ghosting when gaming. The width of the monitor means that one can easily have two windows open side by side, which is very useful. A few years back I used to use 2 monitors side by side but I switched back to a single monitor in order to free up space on my desk. I've always missed that dual monitor functionality and this Dell does the job with just one monitor.

The monitor comes with a factory calibrated sRGB preset, which looks very natural. A calibration report is enclosed with the monitor, which is a nice touch.

The only negative that I can think of is that 2560x1080 support in games is far from universal. Several recent games that I have tried do not support this resolution, even with the latest patches, which is disappointing. But those that do look amazing!

If you do decide to buy this, be warned that when you first unbox it, it is startlingly wide! It does take a while to get used to the size and shape, but once you do there's no going back to 16:9 or 16:10.

Samsung SSG-5100GB/XC 3D Glasses (Battery) (New for 2013)
Samsung SSG-5100GB/XC 3D Glasses (Battery) (New for 2013)
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Panasonic too, 12 April 2013
Bought this for my 2012 Panasonic ST50 plasma tv and it works great. They're lighter, more comfortable, and look better than the recommended Panasonic TY-ER3D4MA glasses, and cost a lot less to boot! The Panasonic ones have a nasty cheap look to them, these look a lot more expensive. In terms of image quality, I could not see any difference between them, so it makes no sense to pay more for the Panasonic ones.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2013 1:17 AM BST

Netgear R6300-100UKS AC1750 Dual Band Wireless Cable Router
Netgear R6300-100UKS AC1750 Dual Band Wireless Cable Router
Offered by DealZone
Price: 124.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic performance, but at a price., 15 Oct 2012
Let me start by saying that unlike Philip in his review titled "An impossibly awful router", I did not have any installation issues at all. BOTH my units were easy to set up, although I did have to refer to some online documentation in order to get the second unit bridged to the first. They have also been running very well so far, although it is still early. I can only guess that he was very unlucky and got his routers from a bad batch. Now, on to my brief review:

Since there are currently no 802.11ac adapters available yet I decided to get two of these and use the second one as a wireless bridge. I was using a Netgear 2.4GHz 802.11n adapter and a Virgin Superhub and was getting around 4-5MB/s. The new setup with the 2 x R6300 is now giving me just over 20MB/s. This is a massive improvement and I'm well happy. The downside is the the high cost, which is currently over 300 for the pair. But that is the price that we early adopters pay, it will come down in a just a few months I'm sure.

As a standalone 802.11a/b/g/n router I can't say the performance was anything out of the ordinary, but when bridged together the performance is staggering. When 802.11ac adapters start to come out one will no longer need a second unit as a bridge, unless of course you wanted to connect your broadband modem to a wired LAN in another room.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 6:16 PM GMT

Logitech Squeezebox Radio - White
Logitech Squeezebox Radio - White
Offered by Accessory-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 12 Jun 2012
Great for the bedroom or kitchen. In spite of the compact size, the sound is very good. The 6 preset buttons are useful, but more would have been better.

Samsung LE26C450 26-inch Widescreen HD Ready 50Hz LCD TV with Freeview
Samsung LE26C450 26-inch Widescreen HD Ready 50Hz LCD TV with Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Great image quality for the price, cannot complain., 5 Mar 2011
Just as the title says, this is a great little TV. The design and build are first rate, and the picture quality is good too. Perfect as a second TV.

5 x Xylo ClearICE Anti Scratch LCD Screen Cover Film Protectors for the HTC LEGEND Mobile Phone. With Free MicroFibre Cleaning Cloth for Easy Application.
Offered by Xylo Uk
Price: 3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not cover the entire screen!, 5 Mar 2011
Poorly cut out, they are a few millimetres short on all sides, especially the length. The material itself is good quality, and offers great protection without compromising the brightness or touch sensitivity. Would have got 5 stars if it actually covered the entire screen!

Terminal World
Terminal World
by Alastair Reynolds
Price: 17.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 15 July 2010
This review is from: Terminal World (Hardcover)
I'm a great fan of Reynolds' previous work. Except for the abrupt ending, the Inhibitors trilogy starting with Revelation Space was a stunning piece of work that I've read 3 times now. I also enjoyed Pushing Ice, House of Suns, and The Prefect tremendously. This one, however, was very disappointing. I'm no critic so I won't try analysing what I didn't like about it. Basically I found it boring and have still not managed to finish it, and I don't think I will.

Samsung SM2494HM 24-inch Widescreen LCD TFT Monitor (HDMI, DVI, USB, Gloss Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, iffy design, 15 July 2010
Can't complain about the picture, it's very good. Like all monitors, it needs a little calibration to get the best out of it, but it's better in this regard than my past monitors from Samsung, Sony and Philips. My only real complaint is about the physical aspects of it. The touch-sensitive buttons might look impressive but they're not very user friendly. Having to cycle through the inputs with a touch-button is frustrating and annoying. The menu is clear and easy to understand but navigating around it with the touch buttons is needlessly awkward. Give me REAL buttons any day!

The other problem is the physical size of it. Due to the tilt, swivel, and rotate functionality the stand is quite deep and bulky. As a result of this, when the base of the stand is flush against the wall the screen protrudes about 20cm from the wall. That's a lot more than I'm used to. Now I wish I had chosen a monitor with just simple tilt since I don't really need rotate and I'd like to the have the screen closer to the wall.

Page: 1 | 2