Profile for Simon > Reviews

Content by Simon

Simon (London United Kingdom)

Serkin - Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 29 & 31
Serkin - Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 29 & 31
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me hear Hammerklavier afresh, 12 Sep 2013
For many years I have had a CD of the Hammerklavier played by Gilels. I like Gilels' playing generally, for example his rendition of the Brahms piano concertos and Grieg's Lyric Pieces. For the Hammerklavier, however, Gilels just didn't speak to me. I knew that this was a special piece but I couldn't sense the magic from Gilels. I read a very positive review of Serkin in Gramophone and that persuaded me to buy it and I'm pleased I did because I now see why this piece is considered so special. The live recording adds to the sense of occasion and I can live with the ordinary recording quality.

Pure ONE Elite Series II Portable Stereo DAB/FM Radio - Black
Pure ONE Elite Series II Portable Stereo DAB/FM Radio - Black
Price: 75.83

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware sticky surface!, 12 Jun 2013
I bought mine a couple of years ago, so this may not be relevant to the latest model, but the surface of the radio has become sticky and no amount of cleaning can change this. It feels like a bottle of beer has been thrown on the radio! It seems that the black surface reacts badly to normal room temperatures. I had to throw the radio away eventually as it was so unpleasant to handle.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2014 9:35 PM BST

At Last (The Patrick Melrose Novels)
At Last (The Patrick Melrose Novels)
by Edward St. Aubyn
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation!, 27 May 2012
I had been considering reading the Patrick Melrose series of 5 novels (of which this is the last) for some time, but was put off by the disturbing subject matter. I don't read "misery memoirs" and this series sounded like one to me. I couldn't see the pleasure in reading about Patrick's miserable life. Now that I have read the 5 novels, and read the last 4 as quickly as I could get my hands on them, I can say that my misgivings were totally misplaced! The story and the treatment were utterly compelling once I'd started the first in the series. St Aubyn is a great stylist, writing sparing prose with fantastic clarity and metaphors. No word is wasted and every phrase is freshly minted, with not a cliche in sight. Add to that, a wonderful humanity and an acidic wit, then you have a winning combination! The characters are mostly awful people and terrible things happen to Patrick, but the tale is told well and entertainingly and the writing is insightful and honest. The long and troubling journey over which Patrick comes to terms with the poisoned legacy of his parents is portrayed convincingly and is very moving.This is a very special series of novels and, although St Aubyn has said that the series is at an end, I hope that he changes his mind, as he did when he said that the first three novels would not be followed by any more.

We're All Together Again For The First Time
We're All Together Again For The First Time
Price: 7.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling!, 26 Sep 2011
It's all been said in the first review. The only criticism I have is that it's not long enough! If you like this, you'll like Live at the Berlin Philharmonie too.

Live at the Berlin Philharmonie
Live at the Berlin Philharmonie
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 16 Sep 2011
There are two live Brubeck Berlin concerts from the 1970s available and to my ears this one is by far the better. The recorded sound seems excellent and the choice of material and performances is inspired! Can anyone recomend jazz of a similar style by other bands that's as good as this? If so, I'll snap it up! I have the Brubeck Carnegie Hall concert from 1963 (Desmond instead of Mulligan) and that's also very good.

West and the Rest: Globalization and the Terrorist Threat
West and the Rest: Globalization and the Terrorist Threat
by Roger Scruton
Price: 14.91

5.0 out of 5 stars first impressions mislead, 17 Mar 2005
Roger Scruton is known for his position somewhere on the traditional right of the political spectrum. Indeed he has written a defence of conservatism. Those on the left may therefore be wary of this book. But as someone who has not in the past sympathised with Scruton's politics I can strongly recommend this book. The book's strength is its intellectual seriousness combined with its clarity of expression. Anyone who is interested in the history of ideas will find this book of interest, since it goes much deeper than the aftermath of 9/11 and addresses the enlightenment and the modern nation-state by contrast with developments in the Islamic world. It also deals with the puzzling, not to say wrongheaded, disposition of some western intellectuals to belittle the cultural heritage of the west and ignore the many benefits this has brought ordinary people the world over. For such intellectuals the west can never redeem itself for the "guilt" associated with its historical dominance over other cultural traditions.

Continental Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Continental Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Simon Critchley
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Best first text, 23 July 2002
I have read other introductions to continental philosophy by Robert Solomon and David West. These are both very good but this book sets itself apart by the engaging way in which it is written and is a better first text than these two for that reason. The book is illuminated by a very personal, characterful, style, without sacrificing clarity and rigour. As you read it, you can almost imagine Critchley talking to you face-to-face. Critchley doesn't attempt to provide a summary of the thoughts of the major continental philosophers - as do Solomon and West - but instead looks, among other things, at how continental philosophy can be contrasted with analytical philosophy. This book is therefore almost an introduction to analytical philosophy too. The relevance and fascination of the subject is brought sharply into focus. The comprehensive references/bibliography will point you in the right direction if you wish to pursue the ideas further. If your enthusiasm for continental philosophy is in need of renewal or has yet to develop then this is the book for you!