Profile for TotoroMatt > Reviews

Content by TotoroMatt

TotoroMatt

Any Other Name (The Split Worlds Book 2)
Any Other Name (The Split Worlds Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars More literary trifle, now with a dash of sherry, 22 Aug 2013
Something I adore in writing is the sense that a world and story are bigger than the small part of it that we're seeing. These authors are world-builders in the truest sense of the phrase, and Emma Newman appears to achieve this effortlessly. Once again the modern world, Fae scheming and Victorian-valued Society come together in a delicious collage.

If you enjoyed Between Two Thorns you'll be far from disappointed with the sequel. It's the same gorgeous worlds, the same politics and the same intrigue but bigger, better and with a hint of added spice. Once again, whatever you think of characters going in to the book you're certain to have revised those opinions a dozen times over before you get to the end - which, by the way, made me swear out loud like a Game of Thrones wedding!

A superb sequel. And I still want my own gargoyle.

Between Two Thorns (The Split Worlds Book 1)
Between Two Thorns (The Split Worlds Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Layered and delicious, like a literary trifle, 22 Aug 2013
From time to time I come across a book (and author) able to absorb me so completely that its able to make me forget about the outside world. Between Two Thorns has made me miss bus stops, go without breakfast and occasionally, just occasionally, arrive late for meeting people. It's simply beautiful.

Within her first few chapters Newman delineates her worlds so completely and with so much texture that you would swear that's actually the way things are. Her characters are wonderfully flawed and multi-faceted, which keeps you guessing to their motives; not since Joss Whedon have I encountered a writer so talented at making me reconsider allegiances and sympathies towards so many characters.

What begins as a (relatively) simply tale of a young woman trying to run from a world which both repels and terrifies her quickly opens up into a tale of snarky society politics and the Machiavellian machinations of the Fae. It's fascinating and thoroughly entertaining: I've never shouted aloud at so many fictional characters in my life!

Compelling, absorbing and beautifully written. If you're a fan of fae or urban fantasy it is most definitely worth your time.

The Copper Promise: Ghosts of the Citadel
The Copper Promise: Ghosts of the Citadel

5.0 out of 5 stars Reclaiming the fantasy novella for the Pratchett generation, 22 Dec 2011
I don't usually get on with novellas. I usually find them short stories that are far too long or novels that are poorly paced and far too short. Most modern attempts end up a complete mess, as if the author doesn't know exactly what they're aiming for. Jennifer Williams, on the other hand, knows EXACTLY what she's aiming for, and delivers it with punch, with intrigue, and above all with giving you a well-written, well-paced story the only frustration of which is the cliffhanger ending.

Williams' characters are well-rounded, believable and avoid only those fantasy cliches which would serve to make them dull and uninteresting. There is no character without purpose, no one-liner, scene or moment included for frivolity, and - most importantly, I think - no "schoolboy error" use of big words for the sake of big words. Williams doesn't need to prove that she's clever with loquaciousness; she simply weaves a story and lets it do the talking. There is a vitality to her prose, a quality which brings her players to life and which paints a complete picture in surprisingly few words. This writer is definitely one to watch.

I eagerly await the second part in this series of novellas. Come on, Jennifer! Don't keep us hanging on!