Profile for Rebecca Berto > Reviews

Content by Rebecca Berto

Rebecca Berto (Victoria, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Writing plots with drama, depth and heart: Nail Your Novel
Writing plots with drama, depth and heart: Nail Your Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Basics for beginners; readily adaptable and insightful tips for experienced writers, 28 Jan. 2015
I have a "Best Everrr" shelf on Goodreads and I haven't added a new book to it for 8.5 months -- that is until a minute ago when i added this one. It's reserved for books that are more than five stars, books I would happily read twice (as a rule of thumb I dislike re-reading books), and ones that went above and beyond what i hoped and expected.

I loved Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel, as it states the basics you'd expect in a ToC but then it feels written in a personal way, easy to connect to, and really reaches out to find a way to make the reader understand the content in a way they can readily apply to their own work.

I won't delete this book from my Kindle for a while although I delete most books after I finish. I've bookmarked some pages that I will reference often and am finally relieved I've found information that I've been hoping to have for revision/editing phases of writing my books.

This book is a good all rounder yet avoids the Jack Of All Trades trap. There are minimal sections you'd skip if you were an experienced writer and beginners could easily understand it.

I highly recommend this investment if you're a writer. We never stop learning, so why stunt your writerly growth? :)

Falling Away
Falling Away

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, emotional, visual writing. Transported me into another world ♡, 29 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Falling Away (Kindle Edition)
★★★★★ 4.5 - 5 stars ★★★★★

Falling Away is a mature Young Adult standalone novel. It's a fast story with beautiful, emotional, visual writing. Transported me into another world ♡

Part of me loves YA novels because they have this "thing". This novel absolutely delivered, giving me a narrative voice, no stupidity, a sweet coming-of-age story interlaced with pain and growing up and love. I'm a slow reader but I would have delivered it in one gulp if I was faster.

Set in a beach town in Australia, you'll feel the setting come alive as if running through your body like lifeblood. The atmosphere in Falling Away is as visceral as the emotion from and between each character.†

I'd been having a hard time connecting fully with a book for many months. I was sad that I hadn't felt that passion when you CLICK with a story. And apart from some very minor little things this book made me internally shout I'M BACK, BABY!!

Loved. Devoured. Conquered. Highly recommend! ♡

Maybe Someday
Maybe Someday

5.0 out of 5 stars If Lorde were a novel, it’d be the closest thing to Maybe Someday, 18 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Maybe Someday (Kindle Edition)
I finished this novel in half a day, which hasn’t been done in years, not since Twilight made me fall in love with reading again. I’m both dreading and loving that I’m writing this review because it’s the last first experience I’m going to get with this book.

Maybe Someday is one of the best books I’ll probably ever read and is far too exceptional for anything I could say to describe it. But listen anyway because I’m begging you.

Just trust me.

Ready?

** This is the best ever Colleen Hoover book. **

Don’t think that Hopeless didn’t blow me away. It did. And it still makes my head spin when I think of it. But for one moment, throw away everything you think you know about the New Adult and Contemporary Romance genres. Open that trash can, empty out your pre-conceived notions and understand that this book is but isn’t those two genres. Maybe Someday defies the scenes and set ups of most of these books and creates a whole new Colleen Hoover genre. You can only hope to read something like it, that however is completely different, when she brings out her next novel mindblower.

Let me backtrack and describe this book for you. It’s about a girl, Sydney, who we meet rooming with Ridge and Warren because she discovered her boyfriend and best friend were sleeping together. She loves music but hasn’t given it the attention her talent deserves and Ridge plays and writes music but is in a writer’s block slump.

So they begin writing music together. Soon, something strange happens. I’m not going to give away any spoilers. It’s odd even writing this but this book is the most romantic thing I’ve ever read without any romance with what I’m about to say. I fell in love reading the interactions between these characters—as they unwittingly fell in love—with their first encounters and many after that when they weren’t even flirting, checking each other out or trying to get under each other’s clothes.

The trouble comes in because Ridge has a girlfriend. What follows is the weirdest love triangle I’ve seen written. Because this book has no bad guys. That’s right, you heard me. I loved the girlfriend, Ridge (our main man) and Sydney (our main girl). You can’t hate any of them despite the hard and deeply emotional situation you feel for Sydney and Ridge. This novel isn’t a story with cheating, so put that out of your mind. It’s told from the point of view of both Sydney and Ridge and for this reason, we completely understand everyone’s intentions and difficulties.

If you’re a Colleen Hoover fan or always been interested in her stories, you must, must read this one. Let me draw some comparisons:
- If Lorde were a novel, it’d be the closest thing to Maybe Someday
- If the on-screen chemistry between Jack and Rose in Titanic were a novel, it’d be the closest thing to Maybe Someday
- If you’ve ever been away from the one person you love most for an extended period of time, then go to wait at the airport to meet them, that first moment when your heart stops and then takes off at a million miles an hour, and adrenaline courses through you would be the same as the overwhelming sense of love you’ll feel build throughout Maybe Someday until the very last word.
Maybe Someday is so rich in everything I’ve never read in a romance story before, nothing I expected to find, and anything I could hope to capture in my heart and mind.

P.S. This book can be read with a complimentary soundtrack at the website.

P.P.S. go to [...] and read the extra, free epilogue.

Night Owl (The Night Owl Trilogy Book 1)
Night Owl (The Night Owl Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Big 5+ stars. A favourite., 3 Nov. 2013
5+ big stars

Holy crapcakes. I made up a word there and aware of the fact I'm gushing and weird but this book is just...a classic book that will make its mark. it's full of dirty talk, hot sex, fast sex that starts up right away, but also plenty of emotion, sadness and an original story that will be forever remembered--by me at least.

Yes it's erotica but it's also got a quality that stands it out from not only its genre but every other book I've read.

I just...I can't...it was perfect and imperfect and I'm so glad i snapped it up and read it. I am obssessed, crazy, and will do anything I can for more of this series. I'll buy the paperback when it's out. I'll buy the sequel. I just love.

I love it.

5+ big stars

Real (The REAL series)
Real (The REAL series)

5.0 out of 5 stars I have the Remy disease!, 2 Oct. 2013
Real by Katy Evans is a book I'm not going to be forgetting, much the same as the effect Beautiful Disaster did to me. It's a leader in its class. It wasn't perfect in my eyes "by the book" but I couldn't put it down and for every second it made me excited and caught up in love.

How to describe it, like really. *thinks* I know almost everyone has heard of this book and lots are still deciding whether to read it or not. I'll make a recommendation here. If you love possessive guys, alpha males and hot romances, go for it. If you like to stay grounded and like stories driven by powerful women or by life-changing choices, maybe this isn't for you. Sure it's a romantic read but it will capture all your feels so get ready. Honestly I'm not sure how long it will take to recover from my Remy disease. He is clearly just a fictional character but my outlook in men as sexy and hot as him is now forever ruined. Katy Evans created one amazing man right here. Seriously days later I'm still swooning.

I just can't . . . I can't get over him, and Brooke--the couple together. Oh man, i loved she had some ferocity and he had a tonne of ferocity. I loved the over-used language as much as i cringed at it. Yes, I am aware Remy is male, and not partially male, but all male. I get how sexy he is and how much his fans love screaming, "RIIIIPTIDEEEEE" and all those other overused words and phrases but really? I am a sucker for an intense romantic connection and all these things amped me up more, and made me deliciously excited to read this book forever (sadly it finished).

I got caught up in the Remy obsession and will always love this book so, so much. Seriously makes me wonder if I could ever read a more amazing lead male in a book. le sigh.

Huge 5 stars and straight to my Best Everrr shelf.

Fixed on You (The Fixed Trilogy Book 1)
Fixed on You (The Fixed Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5-5 sexy stars!, 17 Sept. 2013
4.5-5 stars

A great new billionaire/girl novel with plenty of sex, yet a great unique story! Hudson is magnetic to me as the reader. He's a strong, sure, borderline cocky man. Alayna is great! Ahhhh I expected some flimsy heroine who wouldn't stand up for herself and whine most of the time. <--That doesn't happen! She's a female lead that although has her own issues, is strong.

Together they're explosive. I waited from the first second for them to get together. Once they were I loved every second of their sexual and emotional development.

Story: 4.5 stars
Sex: 5+ stars
Characters (depth and development): 4 stars

Recommended for 50SoG fans!

4.5-5 stars

Wicked Beat (Sinners on Tour Book 4)
Wicked Beat (Sinners on Tour Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wicked HOT! <3, 28 Aug. 2013
Heat rating: 5+ stars
Story rating: 4 stars

Yep, so let's break this down. Wicked Beat will absolutely blow your mind and a hole through your panties. Okay, maybe not that last bit but hot day-um!!! It gets wicked, wild and wonderful in so many ways. Anyway, romance and sexy times in this book are a must read absolutely crazy good.

What I didn't expect was to fall in love with the characters so much. I'm not an erotica reader usually so I didn't expect more than lots of sex. I'm so glad I was wrong. Eric is such an awesome guy. I loved he was different to the usual bad boy. And whoah, wasn't he a hot fine man. Loved his weird quirks.

Rebekah is a great female character. She isn't annoying, though I wanted to rip her mum's head off, she dealt with stuff that was thrown her way, even the devastating past that left her unable to bear children and scarred sexually and mentally.

Thank God Eric solved her problems and I highly recommend you read how he did that, too. The ending did drag a bit after it felt resolved to me and there were other very minor things that didn't work for me but otherwise really loved this. :))) Read it!

White Trash Beautiful (White Trash Trilogy Book 1)
White Trash Beautiful (White Trash Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE :D, 11 Aug. 2013
4.5 stars

I heard of White Trash Beautiful late last year when it was first self-published and hit the charts big. I received a review copy from her publisher recently to review the novel and was excited. The cover had a re-do, and apparently 100+ pages of new material were added. This book excited me before I even started.

It took exactly a few pages to realise I had no hope of pulling away. That first chapter ended in a way that drew me into the next. It's been a while since I've read a book that after each scene I am torn between reading another or getting up and putting it away for a bit. I knew if I read another chapter, I'd be like an addict, thinking, "Oh, Rebecca look at how quickly you can finish the next chapter. Won't take long at all. Just do it!"

I listened to my heart and devoured this novel. It's a short one, fast faced but never lacking in substance.

Before I go on to talk about my feelings for the main character, Cass, I can absolutely sum up that she's someone you don't want to stop reading. Ever. This is even though she had traits that kept going on, and on, and made me frustrated. She needed to get a backbone, and stand up to the violence against her. In the same breath, Teresa Mummert had me in a spot, all right. I couldn't imagine Cass telling the cops or changing her life--she didn't have a way out. The poor girl was stuck, and though it killed me and infuriated me to watch her being abused by her boyfriend, and then left neglected by her mother, I understand it had to happen. Bravo, Teresa. Great job.

I believed in the character, even when my head was fighting at me not to.

But during all of this bad, bad stuff thrown at her, I was awarded by an amazing guy. Tucker comes out of no where and at first seems like another sleeze bag. Took little time for me to fall for him. Tucker is--dare I say--perfect? Cass is poor. Dirt poor and lives pay cheque to pay cheque. Tucker spends time with her, gets her to come 'round and realise he's with her for a chat and the company, not to get a root. He buys her things and watches out for her. Even after all the heroism he never comes across as "saving" the poor Cinderella from her poor, horrible life. He's on her level, her equal, and just doing what's right, which is moving and powerful to watch unfold as Cass has nothing fair or right in her world before him and other than him.

The romance in this book is very, very slow building. It's not hot and heavy but rather feels incredibly real and well-worked for in the end. Refreshing to read, actually! There's so much I loved about this book. Yeah, the way the ending tied up I foresaw and happened how I expected, but I still loved every moment and that counts as a big winner in my book if I'm left really satisfied in the end.

Highly recommend White Trash Beautiful and I'm excited to read book #2, White Trash Damaged. ♥

4.5 stars

Epiphany (Parts 1-3)
Epiphany (Parts 1-3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart pumping for two reasons (sexy and scary times), 27 July 2013
4.5-5 stars

Dare I mention the word "perfect" in this review? I'll use it in context of my feelings for this novel. Let me start off by saying the romance and the suspense were plotted impeccably. Truly, if you're a fan of either, they run concurrent to each other, and the plot doesn't start off as romance, and then suddenly at 50% everything is action! murder! running! Each scene is written so well, the conflict building. I wasn't far into this book before my heart was racing (for two different reasons). The romance and suspense built each time, never sagging, never forced or stupid things thrown in by Christina Jean Michaels just to make the 300 pages to get to a happy ending. I was enthralled the whole time, almost always wishing I could read more than I was able to with each reading session.

In a world where quick and easy reads are one of the most popular kinds of books, I adore this one for being so quick to want to read, but also so developed. The main characters started with their issues and hurdles in their way and even when a kissing or sexy scene was thrown in or there was suspense or chases, each scene uncovered more clues and developed the characters, and I was really satisfied by the end when Christina made me happy with how things tied up.

Only thing that wasn't as satisfying was that Aidan (a main character and love interest) was too controlling and dominating at times. I absolutely love how heroic and protective his nature was, but not always.

I really, really loved this and hope people who read my review try this book too. It would be a shame for you to miss out.

Me Before You
Me Before You
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend!, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
I have taken ages to review this book, and even this will be short and sweet.

While I wasn't completely smiling and in love with the end, and things didn't tie up how I wanted them too, everything in this novel stays true to the story that needs to be told. If you're looking for a glossy perfect story, this isn't it. The guy, Will, has problems and man he was a *meanie* for a lot of the time, but I saw through that because he like the rest of the characters have so much depth, he couldn't have been nice and all swoony with his situation and history.

Lou, the lead female narrator was a favourite for me, too, because she had strong opinions that gave depth to her. But more than that I was with her and what she was trying to do the whole novel, but as things fell apart in her plan, I felt all her emotions and was with her through every peak and trough.

This book mirrors the difficulties in life so well, I was astounded. I commend Jojo for creating such a deep, moving story, one with so many layers, I can't even begin to describe the story fully and do it justice.

To sum up, this book is on my Best Everrr shelf for many reasons, one being how totally blown away I was by the journey and ending and that I haven't forgotten it even now, months after I finished.

5++ stars!