Profile for Happy and Smiling > Reviews

Content by Happy and Smiling
Top Reviewer Ranking: 779

Happy and Smiling "I love books and audio books. Mainly mainstream fiction - something that will really grab my attention and keep me riveted." (London, England)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Turquoise 600 Count
Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Turquoise 600 Count
Offered by JJS DIRECT UK

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality loom bands, 29 Jun. 2014
For some reason the teal ones are a lot more expensive than some other colours, but the colour is great, the loom bands are good quality, and even at £2 a bag they are still well worth it.

Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Green 600 Count
Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Green 600 Count
Offered by JJS DIRECT UK

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality loom bands, 29 Jun. 2014
My daughter goes through a lot of loom bands. These are great colour and great quality. Would recommend. Better to buy single colour bands than mixed bags.

Effortless (Thoughtless Book 2)
Effortless (Thoughtless Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars slow first half, not as good as thoughtless but worth reading, 16 Jun. 2014
This book was not as good as thoughtless. There is less drama, less excitement. Not a lot happens in the first half of the book. I also had a hard time suspending my disbelief that neither Kiera nor Kellan had ever had a mobile phone. There is no indication that this book is set in the past, when mobile phones were still a luxury. The story line picks up pace thankfully when Denny moves back to Seatlle and then the book is back on track and pulling the reader back in. A bit more melodrama would not have gone amiss but all in all a worthwhile follow up.

Best Of Rick Springfield
Best Of Rick Springfield

5.0 out of 5 stars great songs that withstand the test of time, 12 Jun. 2014
Rick Springfield was my favourite artist in the 80's when I was a naive 15 year old. I had forgotten all about his songs til I caught my 13 year old daughter strumming the instantly recognisable 'Jessie's Girl' on her electric guitar the other day. I had an insane urge to revisit his music, and since my 80's stuff was all on vinyl I bought this cd from amazon for a quick fix. I have listened to the album for a couple of days non stop (housework, car journeys etc) and was surprised to find how good the song still are. All the songs on this album are great, though there are many more that didn't make it on there. The lyrics and arragements are still superb. Love Somebody is amazing, but so is Affair of the Heart, Human Touch, Love is Alright Tonight, State of the Heart, Walk like a man and Souls. The tunes are incredibly catchy and what I really love is that each song tells a little story. Clever wordsmanship. For those that want to revisit their youth this is worth the investment. With a bit more research I realised that Rick is still recording and touring, and I hope he makes it to the UK at some stage in the future. (I have just ordered his autobiography, Late Late at Night, as it got outstanding reviews too.)

Thoughtless
Thoughtless

5.0 out of 5 stars takes a while to get in to, but then it is a page turner, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Thoughtless (Kindle Edition)
I didn't like the first few chapters of this book. A first I found the main character, Kaira, a bit annoying with her constant blushing. But as the book progressed I found myself really immersed in the story and liking all the main characters. It is similar to Beautiful Disaster and The Mighty Storm. Half way through I was hooked and found it hard to put down. Well worth a read.

Wedding Night
Wedding Night

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Wedding Night (Kindle Edition)
I though this book was typical Sophie Kinsella style, similar to Can you Keep a Secret. I though it was funny, and laughed out loud in several places, as per many of her books. The characters were likeable, and the scenarios were brilliantly thought out.

Specials (Uglies Series Book 3)
Specials (Uglies Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent finish to the triology, 26 May 2014
The third instalment in the Uglies triology, and it pulled everything together really well, with a clear resolution of everything that had gone on before.

Blended [DVD] [2014]
Blended [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Adam Sandler

2.0 out of 5 stars More drama than romcom - too much sadness in it for my liking, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Blended [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Two lonely single parents have a disasterous blind date. Shortly thereafter,they end up in South Africa on Safari together , sharing a hotel room, through a misunderstanding over a second hand holiday. They hate each other and try to keep their distance but each end up helping the other ones children. All the kids are screwed up in some way. Adam Sandler's girls are dressed like boys and have dodgy boyish haircuts, and are in desperate need of some female advice and mothering. Drew's sons are equally in need of a father figure. One of them is referred to as 'the masturbator' many times throughout the movie - beware if you are watching this with children that you might have to explain what that means.

I like Adam Sandler movies, and his 2 previous collaborations with Drew Barrymore are both brilliant (50 first dates & the Wedding Singer). I didn't enjoy this movie. I thought it was badly edited together, with poor jokes, and the feeling throughout was one of sadness at how hard his life was as a widower without the wife he had adored, rather than a fun romcom. I felt it was depressing, and not optimistic, despite the happy ending. It protrayed single parents as being undatable due to having the baggage of children. It showed the kids as growing up weird for lacking one or other of the parent figures. The attempts at introducing sexual content were cringeworthy - especially the couple who kept making out at the dinner table every night. The various clips of one liners from South African people he obviously met on his holiday didn't fit the movie and detracted from the story. 10/10 to Drew Barrymore for her acting which she carried off with humourous moments and charm. Adam Sandler's acting turned this from a romcom to a drama. It could have been brilliant, but the focus was on sadness, not laughs. I am still an Adam Sandler fan - I could see what the aim of this movie was. It is not terrible, it has some funny moments. Wait for the dvd, it will be funnier on a smaller screen.

Pretties (Uglies Series Book 2)
Pretties (Uglies Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly I loved it - aimed at age 11 upwards but adults could enjoy it too, 20 May 2014
I thought the premise of a world where everyone had plastic surgery sounded silly, but I got totally hooked on this book. It rationalised things well, everything made sense in a bizarre way, and the characters were varied enough to make it believable. I would happily let my children (aged 9 and 13) read this. I read all three books in quick succession and I was really happy with the way the story tied up at the end. For anyone who liked hungergames/ divergent/ the testing etc, this is less violent but just as enjoyable.

Denman D6 Shampoo/Shower Brush
Denman D6 Shampoo/Shower Brush

3.0 out of 5 stars good at detangling chidren's hair, but handle breaks after a few months, 20 May 2014
This does a better job of detangling my daughter's hair than the tangle tamer, but the handle broke after a few months, so I am buying a second one. Once the handle breaks (pops out of the hole) you can keep popping it back in but it will keep popping back out. It is a cheap quality brush, not up to denman's standards. They need to find a fix for the handle so it doesn't break so easily, then they could charge a lot more for it, like tangle tamer does. It is worth £2.80 though, and does a good job for a few months. For environmental reasons it would be better to charge more and make it more sturdy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19