Profile for TomT > Reviews

Content by TomT

TomT (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Liar's Poker (Hodder Great Reads)
Liar's Poker (Hodder Great Reads)
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 28 April 2014
No-one writes better about the financial world than Michael Lewis. Gripping and enthralling he sheds a light on the otherwise hidden world of the Trading Floors of the eighties.

Flash Boys
Flash Boys
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Flash Boys (Kindle Edition)
We all suspected something fishy was going on, but exactly what could never be explained to us, until now! Fascinating!

The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles
Price: 3.98

1.0 out of 5 stars So so disappointed, 3 July 2012
I bought this as another review had compared Madeline Miller to the late Mary Renault. At a glance the book does seem promising, and I eagerly ordered my copy for the Kindle.

Madeline Miller is no Mary Renault, and it is an insult to the late great author to mention her in the same sentence.

Where Mary Renault painstakingly created a realistic and believable account of Ancient Greece, with strong characters and fantastic storytelling, Ms Miller quickly falls into the realms of droll second-rate fantasy.

The magnificence of Ancient Greece and the grandeur of The Iliad are lost into what simply amounts to a poorly drafted love-story.

I only wish I had bought a hard-copy of this book so that I could sell it on Amazon Marketplace and recoup some of the money I lost.

11.22.63
11.22.63
by Stephen King
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Hardcover)
I've read many Stephen King books in the past, but the last one Under the Dome, although enjoyable was just average.

This was an impulse purchase at an airport and I could not put it down.

The JFK assassination isn't really a subject that interests me, but there is so much more to the story than that.

Brilliantly created characters, excellent suspense and Kings master-craft storytelling mark a true return to form.

A superb piece of escapism.

A Song of Ice and Fire (5) - A Dance With Dragons: Book 5
A Song of Ice and Fire (5) - A Dance With Dragons: Book 5
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad it's all over, for now...., 17 Oct 2011
I'd never heard of George R R Martin, or his Game of Thrones series until I'd seen the TV adaptation of the first book. As a teenager I was a big fan of the fantasy genre, but as I grew older I lost interest and my reading tastes moved on. However, I loved the TV Series, and not being able to wait until the next series came out I bought all the books and read them one after the other. I loved the maturity of the story telling, and the dark and ruthless world that Mr Martin describes. True, I struggle with the names, and remembering who all the characters actually are, but the story is strong enough for me to keep on going.

I ordered this, the most recent episode on my Kindle, but having read some really negative reviews I was not expecting much. I know that many long-time fans of the series have had to wait years for this to appear, and were very disappointed with it when it finally did come out. However, as a newcomer and one who read it straight after A Feast For Crows, I can say that it is a very enjoyable book and the story is progressing as it should.

I don't understand why so many people want it to explode into an all action spectacular. The plot is maturing wisely, and he writes with honesty. In other fantasy works, the hero tames a dragon and then flies to glory slaying his foes in the process and lives happily ever after. Here we get a much more realistic approach on how one would have to deal with these beasts. The other sub-plots and twists are superb, with Theon's tale being a particular favourite of mine.

You can see how George is steadily starting to bring all the different story-lines together towards a suitable conclusion, without ruining any of the patience and intrigue he so painstakingly created before.

I highly recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed the series so far, and can only hope that the next instalment comes out soon.

Funky House Classics
Funky House Classics
Price: 11.87

5.0 out of 5 stars The Golden Age of House, 30 Jan 2010
This review is from: Funky House Classics (Audio CD)
All the best songs from the golden age of house music. Some good memories here, where every tune tells a story to anyone who clubbed through the Funky House scene.

2001: A Space Odyssey
2001: A Space Odyssey
by Arthur C. Clarke
Price: 8.09

5.0 out of 5 stars RIP Arthur C Clarke, 19 Mar 2008
This review is from: 2001: A Space Odyssey (Paperback)
This novel introduced me to the wonders of sci-fi and opened my mind in so many ways.

Rest in Peace - Arthur C Clarke

Roger Sanchez Presents Release Yourself Vol. 6
Roger Sanchez Presents Release Yourself Vol. 6
Price: 8.02

2.0 out of 5 stars Music of the moment?, 2 July 2007
These Release Yourself compilations were always a good indication of what music you would be rocking to at a Roger Sanchez party over the Summer. Unfortunately this release is not that. Full of "electro-house" it doesn't really capture the type of sets that R.Sanchez is playing at the moment, that is music of a more minimalist nature.

Put that aside, you would want something that would at least get you in the mood to party. Maybe he needs a holiday from DJ'ing but there are some really strange track selections on here with tracks like "All About House Music" by Noir, which seem to just be more of a moan about the people in the House Scene than any real attempt to push you towards euphoria.

Listen mate, I've come to party, and my reasons are my own. So what if some DJ's are only in it to get laid, I couldn't care less, there are enough politics in the world without it ruining my night out.

Play me something I can party to, and leave all the preaching about how crap your job has become to your close friends and family.

Instead of buying this tripe fans of Roger Sanchez are better off downloading his free weekly pod-casts from itunes.

Deja Vu [DVD]
Deja Vu [DVD]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.73

2.0 out of 5 stars What a let down, 19 Jun 2007
This review is from: Deja Vu [DVD] (DVD)
I loved Man on Fire so I rushed out and rented this as soon as it came out. I didn't really read much about the story but sat down and enjoyed a sterling performance by Washington as he begins to investigate a terrorist attack in a post-hurricane Katrina New Orleans.

Everything was going so well upto the moment he is invited to join a team of scientists led by Val Kilmer and then the film switches into this implausible fantasy sci-fi time-travel rubbish, that has so many plot-holes and is so unbelievable that I actually gave up on it. Predicting how it was going to end, I fast-forwarded to confirm my suspicions and then went to bed disappointed.

If your thinking of watching this, forget it. You're better off watching the excellent Man on Fire again.

Lov Me [VINYL]
Lov Me [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars This reminds me of Ibiza, 19 July 2006
This review is from: Lov Me [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Lying on the sandy beaches of Ibiza, surrounded by hot spanish women, the DJ bringing in this tune, beautiful sexy summer memories.

Page: 1 | 2