Profile for Mr. A. Moore > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Moore

Mr. A. Moore "Listen while travelling. Epics are preferred." (Redditch UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Star Wars: The Force Awakens [DVD] [2015]
Star Wars: The Force Awakens [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford
Offered by Rikdev Media

4.0 out of 5 stars This IS Star Wars, 2 May 2016
Star Wars as the prequels should have been. A good film but not a great film. The DVD lacks extras I would have liked.

11/22/63
11/22/63
by Stephen King
Edition: MP3 CD

5.0 out of 5 stars How they danced..., 2 May 2016
This review is from: 11/22/63 (MP3 CD)
I am bereft. I have lost some good friends, at least that's how ending this magical story makes me feel. To me, any book that leaves you emotionally drained and wanting more has to be nothing less than brilliant.

I used to be a King fan, some 30 or so years ago, but at some point I fell out of love with his books, they got., ”samey”. Then I found the audio version of The Stand, special extended version and loved it as I had the novel when it first came out. So I needed another long story to listen to as I drive around the UK for my job.

I discovered 11.22.63 but a time travel plot to save JFK? Not my usual listen/read and I wasn't entirely sure I'd like it; a bit too American. But, an audible credit, and I can return if it if I don't like it... I shouldn't have worried.

This is King as never before, no horror but a magical love story (again not my usual kind of book). Yes the main story is a time traveller out to change history by preventing the assassination of JFK , but you almost forget this even though events are always there. A side story to prevent the terrible murders of an entire family sets the premise to test things out for us and our "hero" Jake/George, an English teacher from 2011. This is 1958, then a gentle sub plot where the magic really starts; Jake/ George ( hero) finds love and the story, told in first person, comes to life and here we are about half way through.

King has never written better, his gentle account of the burgeoning love story between Jake/ George and Sadie is so beautifully written, even when things take a couple of turns for the worst. You feel their love, you feel their heartache and despair. You kind of know where this is heading and want to get there to discover the outcome, but you don't want it to ever end.

The end when it finally arrives it is bittersweet. I am not prone to tears but do feel emotion but this had tears rolling down my face. It's so beautifully written. A happy yet sad ending. A love across time that can never be but which nevertheless is, or was. King often let's a good story down with a poor ending, not here. It's not the ending I wanted but it is a perfect ending that left me wanting more but knowing it was the right ending, a beautiful ending, a perfect ending.

OK, so this is a review of not just the story but the audio version. So what about the narration? I am English and have had some problems with American narrators in the past. Accents can grate but here the American voice is perfect. I have not come across Craig Wassen before but if there is an Oscar for audio book narration he should get it for this performance. You forget it's one man, it could be a cast of many. Women sound like women not a man trying to sound like a woman. Every character has his or her own voice and you know instantly who is talking. The emotion in his voice is ever present and perfect. I will certainly look for other books narrated by him.

Now I am lost, how can I follow this? How can I ever find a book that will be so satisfying? I don't think it is possible, however, every time you go through the rabbit hole it resets so I am already listening to this masterpiece and getting ready for another dance. Let the music begin...

Hobby Gift MRL/19 | White Spots On Red Large Sewing Basket
Hobby Gift MRL/19 | White Spots On Red Large Sewing Basket
Offered by sewing-online

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice sewing box, 17 Jan. 2016
Does what a sewing box should. Good quality constructional an OK size.

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Collection [DVD]
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Brett

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantaxyic production, 7 Jan. 2016
Classic Sherlock and the best performances. Great production values making many hours of repeated enjoyment.
This is Sherlock At its very best. All the stories and then some perfectly brought to the small screen. Victoria England is recreated brilliantly and Brett is simply the best Holmes ever.

Humbrol Work Station
Humbrol Work Station
Offered by CHELTENHAM MODEL CENTRE

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended model makers board, 7 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Humbrol Work Station (Toy)
Sturdy plastic moulding making a rigid surface. Lips and sides to stop small parts falling off and an A4 area to secure a cutting mat. Hollows for paints and tools fit humorous own paint pots securely plus make an ideal holding area for tiny parts. Use it on a table or on your lap for safe secure model making. Would also make a good tray for sketching on with space to hold pencils etc.
One tip is not to buy the dedicated cutting mat as it's very expensive. Cheaper ones exist and are same quality. Buy a bigger one and cut it to fit, it's a lot cheaper.

The Logo Board Game
The Logo Board Game
Offered by Meeple People

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, not much to it., 7 Jan. 2016
This review is from: The Logo Board Game (Toy)
Fun for the family but some of the things are aimed at the US market rather than UK.
Simple rules make easy game play but the younger kids may not know some of the products as they have long gone.

Agatha Christie's Poirot - The Definitive Collection (Series 1-13) [DVD]
Agatha Christie's Poirot - The Definitive Collection (Series 1-13) [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Suchet

5.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous, 7 Jan. 2016
Great complete set. Wonderfully made as we all know from the telly. Sumptuous but the early episodes have list some of the image quality. That said, the original start with the deco styling is fabulous.
Great stories, perfectly acted and filmed. Many hours of pleasure to revisit over and over.

Sanwood Men's Canvas School Shoulder Bag (Coffee)
Sanwood Men's Canvas School Shoulder Bag (Coffee)
Offered by Qunrui Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bag, 7 Jan. 2016
Nice bag which my teenage son uses for school. Can get a few books and his lunch in it so he's happy. Seems very sturdy and he hasn't comp,aimed about water getting in so it must be waterproof.

Ravensburger Fairytale Fantasia (1000 Pieces)
Ravensburger Fairytale Fantasia (1000 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice jigsaw, 7 Jan. 2016
My wife loved doing this colourful jigsaw. Great quality print, board and fit of pieces. Fast delivery as well

Microsoft® PowerPoint® 2010 Step by Step (Step by Step (Microsoft))
Microsoft® PowerPoint® 2010 Step by Step (Step by Step (Microsoft))
by Joyce Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Can,t complain, 7 Jan. 2016
Good book, well written and east to follow. Fast delivery, just like new despite being used.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20