Profile for Born Again Cruciverbalist > Reviews

Content by Born Again Cru...

Born Again Cruciverbalist "Geoff" (Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Energizer A23 MN21 LRV08 GP23A 12v Alkaline battery
Energizer A23 MN21 LRV08 GP23A 12v Alkaline battery
Offered by Everyday Electrics

5.0 out of 5 stars Two for One, 7 Jun 2013
I ordered this battery for our alarm system. The package arrived by post two days later. I found that there were two batteries in the sealed pack. As a fully paid-up Yorkshireman I was delighted. I got a bargain at £1.64 including 10p P&P. (Boots price is £2.24 for one battery.)

I looked back at the Amazon page; it showed only one battery in the pack.

Perhaps the supplier (Poundmax) made a mistake in sending two batteries instead of one. If not, they should alter the picture on the Amazon page to show two batteries at a bargain price.

HP 363 - Print cartridge - 3 x yellow, cyan, magenta
HP 363 - Print cartridge - 3 x yellow, cyan, magenta

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine HP cartridges, 20 Nov 2012
Ordered 10 October, arrived 13 October, well packaged. These are genuine HP cartridges, I have bought them from Amazon before. I recently found out that the expiry date is printed on each cartridge and that my HP Photosmart 3210 printer is smart enough to tell me that one of my cartridges (Light Magenta) is past its expiry date. How's that for clever?

Damp Squid: The English Language Laid Bare
Damp Squid: The English Language Laid Bare
by Jeremy Butterfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Based on the Oxford Corpus, 12 Jun 2012
I have read more than a dozen books about the English language by authors such a David Crystal and Henry Hitchings but this book adds even more information.

It's based on the Oxford Corpus, a database of over two billion words. It shows the most commonly used words. It outlines the origins of words and discusses changes in the spelling and meaning of words. It comments on patterns of words such as 'a sea change' and words that are commonly linked together (the word 'naked' is more often linked with 'eye', than with 'body'). There's a chapter on idiomatic phrases and others on grammar and style.

Well worth buying whether you are a novice or well versed.

Sony SVRHDT1000B.CEK 1TB Freeview and HD Digital TV Recorder (1TB HDD, HDMI, BRAVIA Sync, Series Link, EPG, 2xUSB)

4.0 out of 5 stars A cheaper way to view HD programmes, 23 Nov 2011
I had intended to replace our 5 year old KDL-40V2500 television next year with a new set featuring HD tuner but my son told me that he had bought a Sony hard disc recorder with two HD tuners for just under £300 with a £50 cash back from Sony.

I read the reviews on Amazon and checked the Sony site on Google SONY SVR-HDT500.I was rather concerned about the problems some owners had experienced. My son assured me that his SVR HDT1000 had no problems.

I ordered my SVR HDT1000 from Amazon on 9 October, it arrived on 11th. It worked fine for about two weeks then I found that it would not shut down. The light on the front just kept flashing (it normally shuts down after about 17 flashes). It would not switch off from the remote control nor with the switch on the front of the machine. I checked the manual. It warned not to unplug the machine if it was not shut down.

My son advised me to leave it on overnight and, if it was still flashing, unplug the lead from the transformer, leave it for half an hour then plug it back in. It did this and the machine then worked OK.

On the Sony site there is information about a software update. I checked my machine and found it had the old version 4.10. My son's machine had the new version 4.21. Maybe my machine had been trying to update itself and got stuck in a loop.

My son downloaded the software off his machine on to a USB stick and loaded into my machine.
It has been fine ever since.

One thing I miss is that when you skip through a recording at 2x, there is no sound. My Sony DVD HD recorder RDR HXD 710S gives sound when skipping at 1.5x. Maybe the SVR HDT100 works only on HDMI. I have not tested this out yet.

Hewlett-Packard (HP) Original 363 High Capacity Black Ink Cartridge
Hewlett-Packard (HP) Original 363 High Capacity Black Ink Cartridge
Offered by EuroBuyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine HP cartridge, 16 Nov 2011
I always use genuine HP cartridges in my HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One printer. I bought this model because it has five separate colour cattridges so you can replace the colours you use most. It also takes a large capacity black cartridge which lasts longer and costs less per page printed.

Hewlett Packard offer a recycling service. You can ask for reply paid envelopes to return you used cartridges. They process them into recycled raw materials for use in new consumer products. They have saved over 100 million tons of material from going into landfill.

Braun Oral-B Professional Care 500 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush with Precision Clean Brush Head
Offered by Electronics and Gadgets Direct Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for faulty Braun 6000, 16 Nov 2011
In March 2010 I bought two Braun 6000 toothbrushes, one from Amazon, the other from a supermarket. I use one brush in the morning, the other at night. One of them (I don''t know which) has been fine but the other needed more frequent recharging (I always fully discharge them before recharge) and lacked full power. It's now out of warranty but I may try sending it back to Braun.

The new 500 model is identical to the 6000 (the charger is slightly different) and after two recharges gives full power and lasts as long as the 6000 between charges.

I have used Braun toothbrushes for many years. The first one, with a sliding switch, was very good but I had two of the cheaper Vitality models which were a waste of money.

If you want a Braun toothbrush, don't buy the cheapest models. Look out for special offers of the more expensive models but, unless you have money to burn, don't pay more than about £25.00

Medipaq® EXTRA LONG Toe Nail Chiropody Scissors PLUS Mini Clippers - No more reaching and straining! (1x Scissor + 1x Clipper)
Offered by Medipaq® from Great Ideas™

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for tough toe nails, 24 Jun 2011
I cut my toe nails after taking a bath which helps to soften the nails. Even so, these scissors were all right for cutting some of my smaller toe nails but not strong enough to cut my big toe nails which are much thicker than the other nails. I have to use clippers for the tougher toe nails.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine HP cartridge in cardboard/plastic bubble pack, 4 April 2011
This cartridge arrived promptly. It was in a genuine HP cardboard/plastic bubble pack with the expiry date 2013. Last year I ordered three HP colour cartridges from Amazon but they arrived in individual bubble packs with no expiry date on the pack. However, they were genuine HP cartridges.

Other reviewers have said that the small bubble packs were perhaps taken from multiple packs. If so, why do Amazon do this? Is it to save money or is it because the expiry date is near? However, I have had no trouble with the earlier cartridges.

Adult snuggle wrap blanket with sleeves (Blue)
Adult snuggle wrap blanket with sleeves (Blue)
Offered by Top Value Prices

1.0 out of 5 stars Love blue, hate pink, 11 Feb 2011
I ordered this Snuggie blanket from Cybershop on 20 December as a Christmas present for my wife who is 82 and disabled. When I ordered it, the picture showed the blanket in blue, her favourite colour. But they sent a pink blanket, a colour she hates.

I could not find the Cybershop site again on Amazon. I found adverts from other suppliers, one of which said that they could not guarantee to supply a particular colour, either blue or pink. I don't know whether this was Cybershop policy because I could not find their original advert.

I sent a message via Amazon on 18 January asking if Cybershop could send me a blue blanket and I would then return the pink blanket. Cybershop replied asking me to return the pink blanket with a note to say whether I wanted a new blanket or a refund.

I posted it first class [] on 31 January with saying that if they could not guarantee to send a blue blanket then credit the [].

Amazon paid [] to my credit card on 9 February.

The moral is, always read the small print and also be aware that returning items which have not come direct from Amazon is much more complicated than returning items direct to Amazon.

Over the last twelve years I have bought over 170 items from Amazon and have found the service excellent. But in future I shall be wary of buying items that are not sold direct by Amazon.

Franklin Chambers Crossword Dictionary CWR319
Franklin Chambers Crossword Dictionary CWR319

4.0 out of 5 stars Bouquets and brickbats, 10 Feb 2011
At last, a Franklin crossword solver that overcomes the main drawbacks of the earlier Puzzlemaster CWM206--discontinued--and the Franklin Chambers Crossword Dictionary CWR206--still available. (See my reviews of these machines.)

The earlier models had a poorly designed hinge; the lid soon came loose. One or more of the small rubber pads, glued to the base, fell off, so the machine wobbled. Worst of all, after regular daily use, some of the keys--especially the on/off key and arrow keys--had to be pressed several times and eventually stopped working altogether.

The lid of the CWR319 has two separate hinges; they should last much longer. The rubber pads under the base are plugged firmly into recesses. The keys are more robust and should last longer, though only time will tell.

The display shows two lines of blue text, or one line with larger letters. Entries are typed as capitals; answers appear in lower case. Earlier models showed only one line in black capitals.

The CWR319 stores over 500,000 solutions, not just words from the Chambers Crossword Dictionary but hundred of categories of proper nouns such as the names of abbeys, actors, football teams, Prime Ministers, rivers, etc, all listed by word length.

It can solve anagrams where the answer is more than one word. The words `foam lies in' became `Isle of Man'. The CWM206 and CWR206 find only one-word answers.

It can also find synonyms, listed by word length. You can specify the number of letters to see synonyms that will fit your crossword.

However, with anagrams or missing characters, the CWR319 fails to find some plurals and derivatives. It found minnow but not minnows, countermand but not countermanded. The earlier models find far more plurals and derivatives.

It also failed to find some not unusual words; for example, culinary and semifinal. These words are not in the Chambers Crossword Dictionary book but they are in the CWM206 and CWR206 and in my Seiko ER6000 Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus.

The CWR319 can be used for Countdown using a feature called Word Builder. Enter the nine letters shown on the TV. It then displays, one at a time, the longest word(s) then the next longest and so on, including proper nouns and phrases. But it takes about 30 seconds to build a complete list so the Countdown contestant may beat the machine.

If you want a fast, easy to use crossword solver, buy the much cheaper CWR206 but the lid may fall off and the keys will wear out. For a more robust machine with extra features and a few drawbacks, buy the CWR319. Better still, buy one of the more expensive Seiko machine, excellent for crosswords but no good for Countdown.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2014 7:45 AM BST