Profile for R. Goode > Reviews

Content by R. Goode

R. Goode "Bob Goode" (UK, Birchington)

Christmas Snow [DVD] [2010] [US Import] [NTSC]
Christmas Snow [DVD] [2010] [US Import] [NTSC]

4.0 out of 5 stars Sure to bring a tear, 16 Nov. 2010
First let me say that Amazon tags about the actors in this film are all wrong! Anyone familiar with NCIS will recognise Muse Watson (Mike Franks), who is great in this, Catherine Mary Stewart holds the main role really well and young Cameron ten Napel does a good job as a stroppy ten year old!

Now to the film itself. We showed this as a local church premiere this past weekend, and everyone enjoyed it...and more than some shed a tear or two. Some asked if it was possible to get on DVD. Clearly it is, but region specific.

As far as the storyline, this is from the films website 'For Kathleen, (Catherine Mary Stewart) Christmas has always been an unwelcome reminder of her father's abandonment almost 30 years ago. Although she has tried to forget her past, it has not forgotten her, and in the days leading up to Christmas an unforgiving blizzard traps her in her own home with two unlikely roommates. Sam (Muse Watson), a gentle older man Kathleen took in for the night and Lucy (Cameron ten Napel), the daughter of her soon to be fiancé (Anthony Tyler Quinn) bring her face to face with the hurts of her past. Will she be able to let go and grab hold of a life changing forgiveness or will she continue to be haunted by the pain of the past?'

The bottom line is it's about forgiveness. About choosing to let the past go. Such a theme could be done in a soppy or shallow way, but 'A Christmas snow' manages to tread a fine line between sentiment and depth.

I have seen it a few times now and have been drawn in each time. The audience on Saturday felt the same. I'd say buy it, watch it (if your dvd lets you) and enjoy it. It may even strike a chord for many. There is hope - and what better message for this time of year?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2013 10:28 PM GMT

2012 [DVD] [2010]
2012 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ John Cusack
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars All in all, not sure., 4 July 2010
This review is from: 2012 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I had high hopes for this film, but was left a bit unsure. I bought it as a birthday present for my wife who loves 'disaster movies' and we were both a bit 'hhmm' at the end.

There is no doubting the spectacular effects, and the acting was great, but for all that - it didn't seem to spark. Could it be we have got used to such amazing fxs, or maybe it would have worked better on the big screen and I missed its full impact?

It seemed a bit all over the place to be honest, and I was unsure what market it was aiming at, as even some of the dramatic events like the plane ride through a slowly and tragically collapsing California seemed tongue in cheek at times. In fact, as I write this review a week or so after watching the dvd, I'm struggling to remember what it was about in detail. I didn't find I cared too much about any of the characters, and there seemed little sense of what it might mean emotionally to see and experience what they were supposedly facing - the mass destruction of world before their eyes.

As a Baptist minister I found the ark imagery very powerful, and the issue of how you choose who lives was a real dilemma. What sort of world would you want after this?

I think I really wanted to like 2012 and it had some incredible moments, but I'm not sure I will be watching it again soon.

CX 95 STYLE
CX 95 STYLE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, great sound, 30 Nov. 2009
This review is from: CX 95 STYLE (Electronics)
Let's face it, anything is better than the white things that come with the ipod! I didn't know quite how bad they were until I got these headphones. Being topside of 50, I have a slight loss in some frequencies, but even so the sound is crisp and I have really enjoyed hearing some of the subtleties in music I thought I knew. The earbuds (which come in various sizes) are comfortable, and although I had not used this 'in ear' style before, easy to get use to. The cable is in two parts. The shortest length is enough to get to an inside jacket pocket, and with the longer part attached, will get to most places you might want to carry a player. This does make the cable a bit heavy, but the supplied clip seems to hold it ok. There is a case to store them, but winding the cable is a bit fiddly. I love them, and whilst no doubt I could have spent more and got more, they are very good at handling the sound quality you get from mp3's in general.