Profile for G. Richardson > Reviews

Content by G. Richardson

G. Richardson (Herts, United Kingdom)

Seiko Men's Quartz Watch with Blue Dial Analogue Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet SRP223
Price: 220.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon is all over the place with this..., 18 July 2014
It's actually a nice watch with the expected Seiko quality. But the descriptions and packaging from Amazon are useless!

Firstly, it's not a quartz watch, no matter what all the descriptions say; It's a manual/automatic wind. It's actually Seiko's own 4R36A movement, which means its one of their newest automatic, 24 jewel, day/date, central seconds and hacking seconds hand. It's a very good, very reliable movement and good value at the right price (more of that later).

The glass is not a standard mineral as per the description, but Seiko Hardlex, which is far better.

The band (strap) fitting width is not 19mm as stated but actually 22mm - significant if you are wanting to swap straps/bands.

Mine did not come with an instruction manual or warranty card, which all properly imported Seiko's should have. Although you will still have Amazon's own 2 year warranty to fall back on.

Now, Pricing.
Amazon UK's pricing is all over the place on this one. This watch is offered by a couple of sellers as well as Amazon UK themselves. When I bought mine (fulfilled by Amazon) only 2 weeks ago, I got it for 80. I notice it's up today (7th August) at 219, apparently reduced from an RRP of 360. (Also fulfilled and supplied by Amazon).

This strikes me as tacking the mickey a bit, but does if nothing else make me think I got a returned watch, minus the instructions etc. Either way, it pays to shop around and make sure you get the full package at a good price.

This make and general spec of watch should be around 120 to about 190 depending on where you obtain it. 219 is too much and 360 is just a joke.

Clockwork Angels Tour [DVD] [2013]
Clockwork Angels Tour [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Rush
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Saw this concert at the O2 in May 2013 - brilliant., 9 Feb 2014
The band are back on form and I have to say that for me, the audio mix is superb with everything in balance.

The first half sees the band delving back into the "extensive" back catalogue, playing some of their best versions of older classics. Excellent though this is, for me the concert comes alive in the second part when the strings make their appearance on set.

The Clockwork Angels set fairly and quite literally explodes onto the stage and the audience fair takes the roof off. A brilliant set.

Well worth owning. I have the Rio Tour, R30, Snakes & Arrows and Time Machine 2011 (prelude to Angels) tour DVDs.
Clockwork Angels is still a must have for live renditions of some older songs not played live for years, but eh Clockwork Angels set is truly superb. Rush at the very best.

Mermaid 20 cm Littlegem Aluminium Omelette Pan
Mermaid 20 cm Littlegem Aluminium Omelette Pan
Price: 14.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected, 9 Feb 2014
I bought it as I wanted a dedicated omelette pan and particularly want the same or very similar to pan used/endorsed by Delia Smith. I did not season it as long as stated in some other posts, only about 1 hour, but that was more than enough and it is perfectly non-stick for me.

My previous pan was a teflon coated variety and a little nit smaller, maybe only 15cm, and really too small for a decent two or three egg omelette. Also this pan seemed to take an age to warm up, but the Littlegem is faster to heat and just works better, with no hot spots.

I keep cleaning to a minimum and just let it cool and then wipe clean with paper kitchen roll before storing. maybe a little hot water now an again, but never scrub and NEVER detergents.

Works perfectly for me and seems built to last. Looks a bit "old school" but that's the whole point - its just solidly built with no frills.

CTEK MXS 3.6 3.8A 12V Multi-Functional 4-Stage Car Battery Charger
CTEK MXS 3.6 3.8A 12V Multi-Functional 4-Stage Car Battery Charger
Price: 52.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what was required., 6 Dec 2013
Well packaged and easy to use. Does exactly what is required for me. There may be cheaper units out there, but this is better by far.

Screw Less 2.5" sata hdd USB 2 2.5 sata hdd hard drive case Enclosure for pc laptop, 2.5" HDD SATA Enclosure Caddy USB 2.0 For Laptop Hard Drive - XP, VISTA, WIN 7, MAC
Offered by PJP ELECTRONICS
Price: 2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected based upon the previous reviews., 6 April 2013
I chose this because I wanted a simple, cheap and effective solution to a common problem: Getting the data from the HD of a non-functioning laptop. I did not want to spend a fortune, just something that would do the job. This item looked ideal and ticked all the boxes.

Ordered it on Thursday, it arrived the very next Saturday so good delivery from this seller. Its a simple two part metal case, no screws it just prises apart. Once the HD was fitted the lid was closed and its a nice very snug fit. Connected it to my iMac and it was instantly recognised and getting the data off it was easy-peasy. Once I had finished, I reformatted it and as it was a 60GB HD it made sense to keep using it as an external drive for the Mac, so it is still in use and works perfectly, storing all my photos etc.

Well worth the money, you will not be disappointed.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality machine and coffee, 15 Nov 2010
Purchased this machine as a replacement for an earlier Tassimo T40 machine, which in itself was a replacement for a Senseo type. From my point of view it makes a nearly perfect cup of coffee at home, without any of the fuss of more traditional methods.

Compared with the Tassimo T40, this new little machine is a little smaller, more rounded and takes a little less water (1.5L rather that 2L). It is a good deal quieter than my old T40 too, although I suspect that a newer model T40 may be improved as well. Great for the environment too as the Tassimo machines don't need to preheat the water, so saving energy. Only the water needed is heated and used. If you are really keen, there is also a method for recycling the pods too.

The barcode system is quite clever too as it does not simply determine how much water is needed for the coffee type, it's a lot cleverer than that. For example, for a typical espresso, it will put just enough hot water into the capsule and then wait a while to allow the coffee flavour to start to infuse in the water. Then it delivers the correct measure of water to deliver the coffee, followed by a brief burst of steam to ensure that all of the coffee in the pod is delivered into your cup.

Different processing for a Latte drink, as it produces more of a steady stream of steam, rather than water, to froth up the milk but with a bigger burst of steam at the end to get the last drops of milk out of the pod.

I have read in other reviews that the cup size delivered seems small - but small compared to what? I'll grant that it is smaller than I am normally used to at high street coffee shops, where a "regular" seems to be about half a bucket-full but that's more to do with the much larger than average cup sizes they provide, rather than some failing of the Tassimo. After all, when was the last time you served someone a coffee that size at home? In any case all Tassimos have a manual method of adding more water for a longer drink (or less for a more intense flavour for that matter) by a simple button press, so you really can deliver any size you need.

Lots of variety of pods available and one criticism would be that more is always available on-line than in the shops. But I suspect all machines using pods/capsules suffer from that problem. Having said that, the larger Tescos' always seem to have to most of the more popular varieties. My personal favorite for a good straightforward coffee, is the Starbucks House Blend and my wife's favourite is the Latte Macchiato, followed by the new Caramel Macchiato.

We have tried the teas as well and the Breakfast Tea, Darjeeling and Earl Grey are our favourites, with the Tassimo making perfectly acceptable cups of tea without any fuss or waiting for kettles to boil.

Plenty of long service experience (3 to 4 cups per day, every day) from my previous Tassimo, shows that it warns you when it needs descaling and as long as you follow the instructions, it works perfectly.

A great machine - I would not like to do without mine.

TomTom GO 520 720 920 530 730 930 Friction Dash Mount Exclusive Save4
TomTom GO 520 720 920 530 730 930 Friction Dash Mount Exclusive Save4

4.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly as described., 11 July 2009
The product quality is good and I was a little surprised at the overall size of the item, but when you stop to think that is has to control the average mass of a fairly sizable Satnav unit - it all makes sense. But do make sure that you have a pretty big and flat area to sit it on your dashboard.

The disappointing thing for me, is that it is advertised as compatible with TomTom GO 530 models - which unfortunately it is not. That is to say - not unless you purchase another way to mount the TomTom. As supplied, the TomTom GO 530's standard windscreen mount is not designed or capable of supporting the unit vertically mounted on the friction base. You end up with the screen angled back at about 10 to 15 degrees, so in most cases you will won't be able to see the screen because of glare. In fact, in most cases with the newer TomTom mounts - you will need some form of articulated mount, like that shown in the product photographs - the newer low profile TomTom mounts probably wont work satisfactorily.

Before you buy these cushions - just try mounting your exiting windscreen mount on a flat horizontal surface and see if you can fit your SatNav onto it with it's charger cable attatched, with the screen at a viebwable angle, if you can, you will probably be OK.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2011 8:59 AM BST

Snakes & Arrows Live (2CD)
Snakes & Arrows Live (2CD)
Price: 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Superb, 13 Dec 2008
Saw their performance in Wembley and it was mind blowing as usual and the live album recreates all the memories for me.

I suppose my "reference" live album up tll now has been "Different Stages" in some ways, mainly because of it's live version of 2112 in it's entirety. In other ways R30 impresses because of the inclusion of tracks not heard of for ages live: Red Barchetta and Mystic Rythms stand out particularly.

But with "Snakes" I have new reference. Listening to it instantly takes me back to Wembley and wanting to rock with the Rush crowd.

Stand out track from the whole set for me, is "Witch Hunt". Get some good headsets, program your audio player's EQ to give a rock ambience and then wind the wick up, sit back and let the power of this track totally overwhelm you. You'll be blown away - I promise - makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up each time I hear it.

Outstanding!

King Arthur (Director's Cut) [DVD] [2004]
King Arthur (Director's Cut) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Run of the mill entertainment., 1 Mar 2005
Just saw the Director's Cut on DVD and whilst the film is an enjoyable enough adventure, it's about as far removed from any other story of "Arthur" as I have ever read. For me, the most beliveable version of the fictional characters are described in Bernard Cornwell's "Arthur" trilogy. Of course, the whole thing is the stuff of legend anyway, so who is to say what is acceptable? But Arthur and his knights serving as Roman soldiers is just one step too far.