Profile for Paul Mason > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Wintersmith
Wintersmith

5.0 out of 5 stars Steeleye Spans ‘Wintersmith’ album., 20 Sep 2014
This review is from: Wintersmith (Audio CD)
Amazon turned round my order with in two days, so I have listened to Steeleye Spans ‘Wintersmith’ album three times, the music is rich and Maddy Prior is still in fine voice. Some one said they were not as good as the original Steeleye Span, I would say different – we are all a little different after four and a half decades …..

Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 1 Box Set [2005] [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 1 Box Set [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billie Piper
Offered by The Trade Inn

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who., 8 Aug 2014
When Doctor Who retuned to our screens the new programs were bound to be different, in the sixteen’s years away technology had moved on, and the stories were shortened to one or two episodes to tell a story; something our mature [old!] fans don’t approve of!
Seeing the Tardis bouncing its way through a wormhole didn’t go down well with some of us, and the ever younger Doctors left us considering a school age doctor reaching up to grasp the Tardis’s buttons; at least the last concern has been settled with the new Doctor in the guise of Peter Capaldi.
The strength of the new programming is the quality of the actors playing the Doctor, each brought something different to the show without going over the top, as William Hartnell set a slandered in 1963 as so did Christopher Eccleston in 2005, it was a disappointment that he didn’t stay in the program longer, his drive and alien – humanity [odd thing to say I know!] made his Doctor one of the best of the fifty year span of Doctor Who.

A Most Wanted Man
A Most Wanted Man

5.0 out of 5 stars A Most Wanted Man and Writer., 23 July 2014
This review is from: A Most Wanted Man (Kindle Edition)
Some people here are ready to write le Carre off as to old, I read it a couple of years ago and found my self with a real page turner, and now I’m looking forward to the film. I think – hope John le Carre has a few books to write yet, cold war or warm he brings a feel of reality to events seldom see the light of day. ‘A Most Wanted Man’ certainly took hours from a long train journey – and kept me up another two hours before I was ready sleep.

Everlasting Moments [DVD] [2008]
Everlasting Moments [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Maria Heiskanen

5.0 out of 5 stars Everlasting Moments., 16 July 2014
I have no Swedish and hardly read a word of the subtitles, yet the story is there, you wait for Sigfrid to give in to the bottle, and wonder if Maria would be happy with Sebastian, but this film was made a long way from Hollywood; the film reflects the period of the story.
The film is about moments, when Sigfrid is sober – shared moments with Sebastian and when seeing her photographs.
The pace is right and the acting is good, and the script is set in the world of the early 1900 hundreds, and every thing is anchored in that time-span, nothing jars and every thing pleases.

BBC Sessions
BBC Sessions

5.0 out of 5 stars BBC Sessions - Cream., 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: BBC Sessions (Audio CD)
As I press the keys this slice of the late sixties is coming to me via my headphones, Ginger Bakers Train Time is where I’ve got to; some have been quite rude about this CD. I’m enjoying the music as was, how it was then and then was forty-five years ago. The interviews are interesting, did we really talk like that, all the interviews are with Eric Clapton are rather cagey, a shame Ginger and Jack didn’t have the chance to be cagey!
If you like Cream this should be a part of your collection, it’s a part of the road trod by three great musicians, they split before I was able to see them live, so this BBC Sessions CD will sit well with my Cream remastered recordings; perhaps some one will talk them into getting together for Glastonbury. Written 26:06:2014 so there’s time enough for Glastonbury 2015!!

Leica: Witness to a Century
Leica: Witness to a Century
by Alessandro Pasi

5.0 out of 5 stars the little camra ….., 16 Jun 2014
Leica: Witness to a Century [Hardcover]
A very nice book to wonder through, it deals with the Leica Camera from Oskar Barnack and his Ur-Leica to the Leica M-Monochrom digital camera. As the Leica develops down the years we all so see the images of that time as seen through the little camra, a series of photographs known and new to me. The Leica was the first 35mm camera, leading the way with small cameras, even to days digital cameras follow the format set by the Leica 1 of 1925. The story of 35mm photography ….

Parade's End [DVD]
Parade's End [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Parade's End [Blu-ray], 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
‘Parade’s End’ and ‘Downton Abbey’ seemed to come about at the same time, I chose to watch one and encouraged to watch the other, alas the best of the pair finished after five riveting episodes. Two episodes of Downton Abbey and I have had enough, I have a limited knowledge of Edwardian England; but felt that ‘Parade’s End’ version was much closer to that age!
The cast list of Parade’s End has the very best of England’s actors, and a Australian actor who was just wonderful as the other woman. Benedict Cumberbatch, Rebecca Hall and Adelaide Clemens held center stage with sublime performance’s, and the rest of the cast didn’t didn’t disappoint once, with this production the BBC was back on top form, I find myself finish this like the young Oliver Twist; asking for more …..

Alex North's 2001 (Unused Score) (OST)
Alex North's 2001 (Unused Score) (OST)

4.0 out of 5 stars The music that might have been!, 23 Jan 2014
So long after the release of 2001 A Space Odyssey it is hard to hear this music with Kubrick's classic film, listening to these tracks I have to say it was a good soundtrack, but after all those years it sits in the time it was composed, I hear echo's of the 50's and 60's. Kubrick's scoring the film with known classic music keeps the film fresh, watch a blu-ray disc of a brushed up edition of 2001 A Space Odyssey, and it seems untouched by the years, and perhaps some will say as much decades from now .......
It is good that we can enjoy the music that might have been!

Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera with 24-85mm Lens Kit (24.3MP) 3.2 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars A capable camera and a great one in the right hands., 30 Nov 2013
Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (24.3MP) 3.2 inch LCDI have been using the Nikon D600 for eight months, to date I have made several thousand images, and I'm quite happy with the results, I don't think of a camera taking good pictures; cameras make exposures where as the nut at the back who makes the image being good or other wise! The size and feel of the camera feels good in the hands, I don't like very light cameras - I thought the same when I was using film cameras, it feels solid and I can get sharp images when hand held. On balance I tend to use wide lenses more than tele, I have waited a long time for a full frame camera, knowing my 20mm wide lens would not turn into a 30mm when I fitted it on DX body, I have held a D800 but found it to large and heavy to carry round, the D600 is just a little larger than my previous D90 but still a camera I find manageable when I'm out and about. The D600 is a compromise with between the lighter D90 and the larger and higher resolution D800, but a compromise I was happy to make.

Fitbit Ultra - Black/Blue, 0.08 Kg
Fitbit Ultra - Black/Blue, 0.08 Kg
Offered by Gaiath-com

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 7 Nov 2013
I had one for just over a year, I found it useful allowing me to know have active I was - or not! The battery life was good, about four days, charging time was about two hours; all together a useful piece of technology! During a short bus ride it went missing, and every way I looked at its loss - it was my fault! I will buy another, once I have juggled the prose and cons of applications, security and cost!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2014 5:21 PM GMT