Profile for Dennis Applebee > Reviews

Dennis Applebee

The Nautical Sextant
The Nautical Sextant
by W. J. Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-own hands-on guide for both experts and novices, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Nautical Sextant (Hardcover)
I heartily endorse this work for all those who are interested in the maintenance and restoration of sextants. The wealth of detail in terms of both text and illustrations provides clear steps for even the beginner to follow.

Following the advice provided by Bill Morris I confidently overhauled a well-used Tamaya from 1975, using only the basic hand tools suggested. I am sure that any person with a modicum of dexterity could do the same.

The Marine Chronometer: Its History and Development
The Marine Chronometer: Its History and Development
by Rupert T. Gould

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for any chronometer owner or enthusiast, 16 Oct 2013
I have a collection of marine chronometers and wish that I had this book when I started collecting some 10 years ago. It was out of print and second-hand copies were rare and often expensive.

The new edition is well put together and the inclusion of Rupert Gould's notes for a never-published second edition make it more interesting. I strongly recommend this edition of this classic book.

For purchasers who want an easy to read book on the practical operation and maintenance of a marine chronometer, I have found the recently published "The Mariner's Chronometer" by Bill Morris to be excellent The Mariner's Chronometer: Structure, function, maintenance and history.. It complements Rupert Gould's masterpiece.

The Mariner's Chronometer: Structure, function, maintenance and history.
The Mariner's Chronometer: Structure, function, maintenance and history.
by W J Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must-own" for every chronometer owner or enthusiast, 16 Oct 2013
I have a collection of marine chronometers and wish that I had this book when I started collecting some 10 years ago! I have all the standard works on marine chronometers, but none of them addresses the technical detail for the layman as in the clearly understandable approach of Bill Morris.

In my opinion, this work and Rupert Gould's book are "must-have" items!

I offer one caution, if you intend to do any maintenance and have no prior horology skills, you should develop the "feel" needed through practice on old clocks or pocket watches before you go near a chronometer.