Profile for Freddy > Reviews

Beginner's Guide to Silk Painting
Beginner's Guide to Silk Painting
by Mandy Southan

5.0 out of 5 stars good beginner guide, 25 Oct. 2011
This book contains most of the techniques you can use when you start painting on silk. I had some experience already with pre-gutta silk, and there are a lot of other things to be done and materials to be used, as I learned from this book. The pictures are very clear, there is a list of the names of all the materials, and it seems to be complete.
I also ordered the Shirbori-book by the same author, I use that more because it appeals to me more but I do not regret buying this book. They are both great to learn from and as a simple reference.

Mac-in-a-Sac Unisex Over Trouser - Black, Large
Mac-in-a-Sac Unisex Over Trouser - Black, Large

3.0 out of 5 stars not for tall people, 25 Oct. 2011
Being tall (5'11/1.81 m) I ordered a large, but it was still too short. Standing up straight, it ended some 5 cm. above my ankle, so when you bend your knees it gets even higher. This means getting the bottom of your leg wet when it rains and I don't want that. Apart from that, L was really very large in the bum.

It is a shame really, because the quality seems good, glued seams and packed away in a nice small bag. So still three stars: if you are small and not too slim, this mac is good value.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 8:33 PM GMT

Esprit T27617 Plain Women's T Shirt White Medium
Esprit T27617 Plain Women's T Shirt White Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars nice and tall, 7 Sept. 2011
I am tall (5'11") and so is this shirt so I really like it. My belly doesn't peep out like with many other shirts. I am not big in the chest or fat, but I have quite broad shoulders so it was a bit risky ordering an M instead of L, but it fit very well. Good material too, a thin cotton jersey, I think mercerized, and well made. Nothing wrong with it, especially for this price.

Park Tool Chain Wear Indicator
Park Tool Chain Wear Indicator

5.0 out of 5 stars good, easy to use, 29 July 2011
There is not much to say, it works. You just pop the rounded end somewhere in your chain and once the other end can be wedged in as well, your chain is too worn and you need to change it to save your cassette.

The Roux Brothers On Patisserie
The Roux Brothers On Patisserie
by Albert Roux

2.0 out of 5 stars complicated techniques and poor outcome, 29 July 2011
I just do not like this book. It is really technical, which I thought I would like but I do not. And the two recipes I made, walnut bread and cloche tart, were no good. The walnut bread had only like 3 walnuts in it and it was too sweet. The cloche tart was a lot of work and still no good. I think the caramel set intstantly when I added the apples, something like that. Anyway, I am through with this book, recipes that are complicated yet do not work are a waste of my time.

Also, there a not many pictures in there.

Bytestor 8GB Micro SDHC Class 4 Memory Card
Bytestor 8GB Micro SDHC Class 4 Memory Card

5.0 out of 5 stars works perfectly, 29 July 2011
It is cheap and it does the job. I put it in my Samsung Galaxy S and it works perfectly.

Sealskinz Mid Length Thermal Sock (Black, Medium)
Sealskinz Mid Length Thermal Sock (Black, Medium)

2.0 out of 5 stars pre molded, little stretch, too wide, 29 July 2011
I do not know who modeled for the Sealskinz picture, but these socks are definitely not as closely fitted as they appear there. It is a sort of pre-formed thing that doesn't have much stretch. So if you are in the higher regions of 'medium' (I'm a 41 european, 8.5 american), your toes cannot really stretch out and that feels claustrofobic. Also, they were too wide, probably more aimed at men then women. I haven't tested if they really are waterproof, but I assume they are. I kept them because it would cost me too much to send them back from the mainland to the uk. I put them with my snowboarding gear because that is the only circumstance where the discomfort of wet and cold might overrule the discomfort of a horribel fit. I'll find out next winter.

Shibori Designs and Techniques
Shibori Designs and Techniques
by Mandy Southan

5.0 out of 5 stars great book! very inspiring, clear instructions, lots of pictures, 29 July 2011
I love this book. It hasn't got that many pages, but there are many techniques described. And all of them with beautiful results it seems. The book is very good in its instructions, there are lots of pictures of the execution and the results. Most techniques are covered by two pages only. That may be little to some, but if you pay good attention you will understand how to do it. I had no experience with these techniques, only with silk-dying on a frame, and I couldn't wait to get started. I only made one silk scarf yet, with a folding technique, and it came out gorgeous. I let the steam-fix colors fix in the microwave. That is something the book does not describe but it is definitely possible with some of these Shibore techniques and it saves a lot of hassle.

Nike Womens Long Sleeve Ultimate Dri-fit Tight Top Red 276607-611 Large
Nike Womens Long Sleeve Ultimate Dri-fit Tight Top Red 276607-611 Large

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality, quite well-fitted, 24 Jan. 2011
Being tall (5'11), I ordered a large. It is not tight fitting all-over, especially the bust is quite wide (I am an european 80B). But because of the collar and the arm-width, I think M would have been too tight. It is really long, both the sleeves and the body, and that is very nice for riding an mtb in it. I have worn it two times on my mtb, it keeps you warm and breathes well, I am very happy with it. Good quality too. I ordered red, it is pretty much as in the picture.

Medium Black Leather Jewellery Box 70356
Medium Black Leather Jewellery Box 70356

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, nice-looking and practical, 24 Jan. 2011
I chose this box because of the colors. The pink really is as bright as on the picture and I like the contrast with the black very much. The pink tissue is not the highest quality, it is not a thick velours, but I can live with that.

When the box is closed it looks minimalistic, and high-quality.
The inside was just the size I needed, but that is personal. I really checked out the sizes very well before I bought, and imagined what size I needed, and luckily I was correct on that. And I am happy that there are a lot of big compartments where you can put necklaces in, or jewellery in their original box.

Having to take the first layer out to get to the next layer is not an issue for me. I would rather have that then drawers that do not open and close well.

The hook that keeps the lid open works well.

Overall, I am very content with it.

Page: 1 | 2