Profile for Jim204 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X Macro Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X Macro Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars extreme close up quallty, 13 Oct. 2014
I had been reading up on this lens for quite a while till I finally bought it . The price was what I would consider a little high purely for fun photography. However I finally bought it and must say it has been used an awful lot of the time.The quality is stunning but I have to say to get the best out of it you shall have to take up stacking. The depth of field is so narrow that I really don't think you have a choice. As my main field of photography is floral it turns out wonderful shots of stamens and extreme close ups of tiny flowers. The build quality is all you would expect of a Canon product but do remember this is a manual lens so no auto focus.As I use my camera and lenses on tripods then I would not know about trying to photograph handheld but I would expect it to be very difficult and an awful lot of practice would be needed.For my kind of use I can wholeheartedly endorse this lens.

Nero 2014 Platinum (PC)
Nero 2014 Platinum (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as it seems, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Nero 2014 Platinum (PC) (CD-ROM)
First and fore most I bought this package for the back up feature as I needed a new copy to put on my laptop. But when I installed it and went to back up my complete hard drive there was no provision for this. all I could do was back up some files and things not my programs and hard drive. This was a complete waste of time and money.I ended up giving it to my Daughter and I have had to purchase another Nero 12 because that has that facility on it. An expensive lesson learnt, as it is the suite itself is as expected and should receive a four star merit but spoilt for me because of that feature.

Mahler: Kindertotenlieder; Rückert-Lieder; Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen
Mahler: Kindertotenlieder; Rückert-Lieder; Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen

5.0 out of 5 stars A very rewarding disc., 21 Jun. 2014
If you are wanting a recording of these three works you can't do any better in my opinion than this one.This is one of the many remastered discs by EMI currently out at the moment. The sound has been marvelously cleaned up. Most of all Baker is on top form and Barbirolli with his wonderful glow give superb accompaniment. A very warm recommendation.

Mahler: Das Lied Von Der Erde - Ludwig, Wunderlich, Klemperer
Mahler: Das Lied Von Der Erde - Ludwig, Wunderlich, Klemperer

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous Mahler, 21 Jun. 2014
It was with some trepidation that I approached this CD after an absence of 30 years when I had it on vinyl last.As it turns out I need not have worried. I purchased the disc as I read that EMI had remastered the original tapes so I wondered what it would sound like.
Would Wunderlich still be as clear and melodious , would Ludwig sill retain that spine tingling tone in her lower register and would Klemperer's magic still be there in his dealings with the orchestra. As i do all my listening with headphones now I had prepared myself for some differences with my listening experience.The first thing I noticed on playing was how clean it was, on the first song
his voice was like cut crystal and the CD became involving from that song onwards.My one niggle up until I came to the last song was a lack of very deep bass, or was I just becoming confused as the last time I had listened to it was in a warm analogue glow through massive monitors ? By der Abscheid Ludwig's glorious lower register and Mahler took over and it became one of my most
rewarding experiences on CD. You must do yourself a favour and buy this CD for yourself. You will be rewarded with one of the greatest Mahler collaborations of last century. When first playing the disc be prepared for your tear ducts leaking as Ludwig sings the last farewells though. This is a marvelous recording very well remastered.

The Winter Ghosts
The Winter Ghosts

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable ghost story, 17 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Winter Ghosts (Kindle Edition)
This is a very sensitive novel enjoyable in every way.I thoroughly enjoyed it.A real feelgood story and very tellingly told.

The Royal Stuarts: A History of the Family That Shaped Britain
The Royal Stuarts: A History of the Family That Shaped Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars A must know book., 22 Nov. 2013
I bought this book to get me up to date with the later Stuarts and I was not disappointed. It is concise and to the point and does not glorify them in any way. Most interesting and thoroughly recommended.

Kidnapped (David Balfour Book 1)
Kidnapped (David Balfour Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to my boyhood, 16 July 2013
I really enjoyed visiting this wonderful book again , it's a wonderful story and very hard to put down. Super

Ulysses
Ulysses

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish., 16 July 2013
This review is from: Ulysses (Kindle Edition)
I could not finish it.It was all over the place.I certainly won't be going back to it any time soon.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2015 7:46 PM BST

The Count of Monte Cristo (Oxford World's Classics)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Oxford World's Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic tale, 12 Jun. 2013
Having only seen film versions of this story I decided to give the written word a go. I was not prepared for how long the work is. There certainly are some very interesting twists and turns in it. I would heartily recomend this story. I can say I will be looking for any more works by this author

Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera (inc 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit) - (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Born again photography, 11 Feb. 2011
Having retired through ill health I got back into photography to fill in my time.After a few weeks looking at what was out there I decided on the EOS550D because of the size and weight considerations.First impressions were this is a very small camera for it's spec,but I soon got over that when I started using it. The 18-55 lens was supplied with it and was a delightful surprise.The image stabiliser was very welcome and turned out some pin sharp landscapes.The feature I really like is auto ISO which covers nearly all situations and being from Scotland I can tell you it works very hard.The picture quallity from the camera being 18 million pixels is superb,With a super gradation of tones and of course big enlargements are not a problem.This is a superb camera for whatever kind of photography you are into be it point and press or doing every thing yourself.I cannot recomend it enough. Jim ( Ayr )

Page: 1 | 2