Profile for Karen Jane > Reviews

Content by Karen Jane

Karen Jane (Lincolnshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
WOODEN - BAMBOO BROWN CREAM BEADED DOOR CURTAIN - FLY SCREEN - ROOM DIVIDER
WOODEN - BAMBOO BROWN CREAM BEADED DOOR CURTAIN - FLY SCREEN - ROOM DIVIDER
Offered by Tamers Gifts

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive room divider | useless fly screen, 1 July 2014
I have bought this in the past - it is really sturdy and attractive enough if you want a room divider but DOES NOT prevent flies!

Gravity
Gravity
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful storyline and acting but great special effects, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Gravity (Amazon Instant Video)
I've given this film an extra star as its special effects were great. However, it's no wonder it went to DVD so quickly ... In other words, don't waste your life or money watching this movie.

I couldn't empathise with the characters. George Clooney with his usual monotone voice whatever the scenario. Sandra Bullock, well I was really hoping her character would be killed off not long after the opening scenes. I don't want to be accused of spoiling the 'story' - watch it if you don't mind wasting a few hours of your life for awful acting and dialogue ... yawn!

LeapFrog My Puppy Pal Scout (Green)
LeapFrog My Puppy Pal Scout (Green)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value!, 20 May 2014
My 18 month old grandson loved his Puppy Pal Scout. The puppy is programmable (by an adult!) to say the child's name. I'm sure it will provide a lot of entertainment and cuddles.

All in all, this toy provides excellent value for money!

Helen M. Stevens' Embroiderer's Countryside (Helen Stevens' Masterclass Embroidery)
by Helen M. Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 20 May 2014
A must have! This is an exquisite paperback book which is beautifully illustrated (photos and images) throughout.

There are several charts in the book for you to follow and advice about how to gauge your long and short stitch for best effect. In addition, there are full size photos of Helen's breathtaking embroidery artistry - I'm so motivated to embroider but not to copy slavishly. I'll never buy another ready made kit ... Helen has made me feel that I must experiment and use her book to guide me along the way. It is the attention to detail such as how to stitch a cobweb not-too-tightly and use a bead on the single thread to capture the effect of the heaviness of morning dew on gossamer threads - wonderful!

Helen has a lovely style of writing - she has inspired me to get out into the countryside (which is literally on my doorstep) to observe nature with a sketchpad and digital camera so that I can busy myself during the long dark winter months with stitching projects. If you happen to live in a city, why not visit a park, arboretum ... you could create a mood board to inspire you.

I'm not usually the outdoorsy type either ... far from it! By now, you must have worked out that I simply love this book ...

... oh, and I only received my book this morning!

Are you still reading? What's keeping you? Embroiderers you really need to order this book now ...

PS I'm not on commission and do not know Helen Stevens.

Diary of a Facelift
Diary of a Facelift
by Toyah Willcox

1.0 out of 5 stars A tragic 'punk rebel' who has bought into the Barbie 'ideal', 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Diary of a Facelift (Hardcover)
Frankly I'm disappointed in Toyah - that punk rebellious pop star of the 80s was obviously a purely commercial decision ... An free spirited individual who really wanted to be alternative would not buy into the idealised Barbie standard of beauty. All this book does is celebrate and condone cosmetic surgery culture.

Toyah actually looked prettier before the facelift - it showed her character and natural beauty. What is wrong with growing older? I'm now 49 (2013) and like myself - I'm far from 'perfect' but it is who I am. I would never want a blank and expressionless face. Toyah looks bland and, frankly, is unrecognisable. How sad that Toyah didn't use the money in a more positive way to fund the therapy she clearly needs to learn to love herself and know that a woman's value isn't based purely on her physical appearance.

Mens Waistcoat with Welt Pockets Sewing Pattern, Sizes 32-44, LM0017, Laura Marsh Designs

4.0 out of 5 stars Professional results - not recommended for beginners, 30 Jun 2013
This pattern is on top quality paper, not the usual flimsy and thin tissue paper used by other providers. I found the pattern easy to work with because of its quality paper. The finished waistcoat is lovely and I'm delighted with its professional finish.

My only reservation about this pattern is that the instructions are a little vague and confusing at times, assuming the seamstress has existing knowledge. Therefore, I would only purchase this item if you are a fairly competent seamstress. Also, the instructions leaflet is on several sheets of A4 which are not secured. If the instructions were improved I would have absolutely no hesitation in awarding this item FIVE STARS.

I hope that the company produces more men's patterns!

Rentokil FQ20/26 Quick Set Mouse Trap - Pack of 2
Rentokil FQ20/26 Quick Set Mouse Trap - Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Four mice dead within 36 hours, 25 Dec 2012
Obviously this trap works well as we caught four mice within 36 hours. We bought one pack of two traps, and these caught two mice during the first night, and one was caught even before we went to bed.

It is crucial to ensure that you remove any potential food sources so that the mice only have the trap bait.

The traps are easy to set and I recommend using chocolate spread, or peanut butter with raisins. The mice here had chewed my microwave heatable wheat bag so I will try including wheat in the bait next time.

I found it easy disposing of the dead mice as they are easily released from the traps into bags for the bin.

I give the trap 5 stars for killing mice but do please read the following ...

WARNING: I must advise you though that in my opinion, the mice cannot be killed outright. It seems to me that the trap merely shuts down on them and 'traps' them in that sense. Unfortunately, they then seem to thrash around endeavouring to free themselves. I could hear this as the traps were set on a hard floor surface, and the mice were mostly found upside down, except for a juvenile one. Clearly, the process of throwing their weight around whilst attached to the trap breaks their necks. I have heard noises for 15 seconds or so after the trap goes off, and do not believe this would be as a consequence of their bodies twitching post death. So, if you are easily upset, do not buy this.

First 1000 Words: Japanese (First Thousand Words Mini)
First 1000 Words: Japanese (First Thousand Words Mini)
by Heather Amery

5.0 out of 5 stars Hana loves her book!, 17 Dec 2012
My 3 year old niece (English-Japanese) loves reading this book with her Mummy - and her English Daddy is said to be finding the book useful for learning too! Since starting at nursery, Hana had stopped speaking Japanese as much as she had done. I sent this book to Hana and her Mummy, Maho, has given the book the Japanese seal of approval. Hana loves her new book!

I also have the French and German versions of this book for myself and that is what prompted me to buy this Japanese version - they are highly recommended.

The Milagro Beanfield War [DVD]
The Milagro Beanfield War [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ruben Blades

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd rather watch paint dry!, 19 Jan 2012
I hated this film so much that I couldn't watch it in its entirety ... I was losing the will to live!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2012 8:13 PM GMT

Executive Business Bag Laptop Trolley On-Board Travel Flight Case Suitcase New
Executive Business Bag Laptop Trolley On-Board Travel Flight Case Suitcase New
Offered by XS-Stock Com Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, 15 Jan 2012
This bag is the perfect find! I bought this for my job, working from four offices in my county. I need to carry my laptop, charger, mobile, a lever arch file, folders and so on. I am delighted with this bag and it would be excellent for those who travel in their work.

Page: 1 | 2