Profile for wringer > Reviews

Content by wringer

wringer (Cheshire, UK)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of kit., 4 April 2011
Bought this to enable connectivity in an old thick stone walled cottage. Used on a HP laptop with Windows XP, it performs beyond expectations and totally cured the problem.

However, not entirely foolproof to set up and could benefit from some simple instructions in written step by step form. The instructions on the CD supplied (Which does not seem to run automatically) were written in technical language which is beyond me.

However, with some intuition and experiment I soon got it working but still haven't discovered how to set it as the default.
Having said all that, it really does work very well indeed.

Wagner: The Goodall Ring Cycle [ENGLISH LANGUAGE]
Wagner: The Goodall Ring Cycle [ENGLISH LANGUAGE]
Price: 109.65

5.0 out of 5 stars I was there!, 23 Oct 2008
How can I have the gall to write about a recording which I have not heard?
Well, firstly, I was there and saw it live, then I bought the vinyl records and the cds that followed.
The first three record sets are simply superb, recorded by analogue. The final set is digital and suffers accordingly. I shall be very interested to hear the recording quality of this remastering.
But, what of the performance?
I'm not sure that a perfect recording of the Ring actually exists. There are flaws in them all. So, does a detailed description of the vagaries of the orchestra and the pros and cons of the artists actually help? On that basis other rings would probably fare better. But, sit down and listen to this Ring and let your emotions be your guide. Goodall simply reaches the part other conductors cannot touch.
This Ring was,and is, a sublime achievement. My favourite recording of anything, all time, ever.
Buy Bryan Magee's book on Wagner and Philosophy, Listen to Cooke's analysis of the ring's symbols, hear it in German (Testament) and then settle down to Goodall. You will emerge a different person.
It really IS that good.

Patterns of Psychosexual Infantilism
Patterns of Psychosexual Infantilism
by W Stekel

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what you might expect!, 23 Oct 2008
This book was often referred to in the primitive literature of 1970's infantilist as a learned tome of great significance. At that time it was extremely hard to obtain, giving it a great mystique. Indeed, my copy warns that it must not be read by the lay person, being a serious text for medical professionals only! The book was sealed and each page had to be cut open.
The word "Infantilist" is used by me to mean AB/DL and I can't help smiling at the thought of AB/DL readers grabbing the volume and eagerly devouring the forbidden fruit only to find no mention of nappies (diapers) whatsoever.
In fact, this book, despite its learned claims, is nothing more than a procession of rather bizarre sexual fantasies and behavioral patterns, wrapped up as "case histories"
Today it makes quaint and often amusing reading. An interesting piece of history maybe, but of no relevance to the practicing psychologist or AB/DL.
Leave it by the guest bed to shock the mother- in- law!

Wagner and Philosophy
Wagner and Philosophy
by Bryan Magee
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars My book of the decade, 30 Jan 2008
This review is from: Wagner and Philosophy (Paperback)
I am not a Philosopher but have been a keen Wagnerian for forty years.
I share all the same prejudices and misapprehensions of other Wagner lovers concerning the genius' thoughts, life, writings and music.
This volume has been revelatory, I was quite unable to put it down, and, having read it immediately read it all over again.
My understanding of the Ring, Tristan and Parsifal have improved immeasurably and I wholeheartedly recommend this book.
I have also started to read other philosophical volumes, guided by Professor Magee's helpful list.
Fantastic!