Profile for H. Ashford > Reviews

Content by H. Ashford

H. Ashford "hashford" (Sheffield, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Derwent Colour and Relax: Unwind in the Wilds Colouring Book
Derwent Colour and Relax: Unwind in the Wilds Colouring Book
by Sarah Taylor
Edition: Office Product

5.0 out of 5 stars relaxing, 17 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am impressed with this book.

It has a little tutorial at the start which gives you a simple colour wheel and some advice and tips about shading and mixing colours. It is designed to be used with colour pencils, and they recommend that you purchase Derwent pencils – but I don’t see why you shouldn’t use any brand.

As an experiment, I tried colouring in one image with felt tip pens. This was very successful, and the only ones that bled through to the next page were the Sharpies (so I shall know not to use those).

This is a nice quality book – good thick paper that doesn’t spoil the image on the other side of the paper, and good quality printing. I think it is good value at just under £10.

Grenade Carb Killa High Protein and Low Carb Bar, Caramel Chaos - 12 x 60 g
Grenade Carb Killa High Protein and Low Carb Bar, Caramel Chaos - 12 x 60 g

4.0 out of 5 stars good texture with a bit of crunch, 14 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I work out regularly and also follow a low carb diet. Low carb protein bars are an essential part of my daily diet, and so I was very pleased to have the opportunity to review these.

These bars have a biscuity base, with a fudgy/caramel topping, all covered in a thin chocolate-like coating. Personally I like the texture very much – the biscuit base is crisp, and the topping has little crunchy bits in it too (so many protein bars are either fudge-like or flapjack-like and this makes a pleasant change). In terms of the flavour – yes, it tastes artificial to me; not one of my favourites, but not actually unpleasant either.

At over 200 calories they are substantial enough to use as a meal replacement if you are watching your weight – and I find them very satisfying and certainly sufficiently filling to use like this.

I think the price is a bit high – at just under £20 for 12 they are in a the same bracket as similar Atkins bars; I certainly wouldn’t pay the full price of nearly £30 for them

Ink Jet Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for HP 364 - Combo Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow

3.0 out of 5 stars remanufactured inkjet cartridges, 25 Sept. 2015
15/12/2015 - Update:

The black cartridge lasted just 6 weeks in my printer – which I was very disappointed with. I don’t do a lot of printing and I would be surprised if I had done anything like 250 pages in the period this cartridge was in the printer.

Interestingly, it failed very suddenly – one page was perfect and the next one blank (no fading out like you usually get) – it’s almost as if it malfunctioned.

- - - * * * * * * - - -

Original review (October 2015):

This is a difficult product to review within 30 days. What I can tell you is that they arrived in a clear plastic package, and that they fit into the printer just as I would expect, and they appear to print satisfactorily.

In terms of price, they are similar to the HP combo pack I’ve been buying BUT, the black cartridge is 10ml (ie XL) compared with 5ml in the HP combo pack – which suits me better as I use more black than coloured ink.

It’s quite possible that they won’t last as long – but not necessarily to be expected by any means. All I can say is that I will report back when I have to change them again.

Go! Water Filtration Bottle (pink)
Go! Water Filtration Bottle (pink)
Offered by GADGETS4TRAVEL

3.0 out of 5 stars a bargain at the price, 17 Sept. 2015
I bought this for walking holidays, and it’s very handy for a short(ish) trek if I only want to take a small rucksack (which doesn’t have room for my 2litre “bladder”).

I think, if it really does make water safe then it’s a bargain at £12.99 ... but, having said that, the replacement filters are pretty pricey.

I haven’t had any problems with it leaking, either when it’s on its side in a bag, or in use. For me, the big drawback is that it’s hard to suck the water through the filter, and you can only get a little bit at a time.

The other drawback with it is the timer to track filter life. All it does is tell me when it is more than 2 months since I replaced the filter – what a waste of time, I could just make a note of the date! What I need is to know how many litres I have put through the filter.

Quartet 585 x 430 mm Cork Board with Sleek Black Wooden Frame
Quartet 585 x 430 mm Cork Board with Sleek Black Wooden Frame

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional but nothing special, 17 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This cork board has no major faults. While it's thin enough for pins to push through the back, it isn't so thin that these pins will do damage to the wall, and though the fittings on the frame aren't very neat, they can be ignored and it's a pretty enough cork board.

It arrives with fixings, which is useful, but I could have done with them being attached to the board, as I'm nervous of using drills as I've had little practice.

My main issue with this board is the price. It IS better than cheaper boards I've had, but I don't think it's worth twice as much as them. The main advantage is that it has a much wider frame, which is prettier, but not worth the extra cost.

BOHEM Silver Jewellery Nail Art Kimono Asanoha, Medium
BOHEM Silver Jewellery Nail Art Kimono Asanoha, Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning and sleek, 17 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are absolutely beautiful, and perfect to add more than a hint of opulence to your outfit. They're very sleek and thick, and the design is lovely. As other reviewers have said, it is very long and pointy, which is why I wear it on my left hand to decrease the risk of accidentally stabbing someone. Personally I like the longer look.

I only have two issues:
- Firstly the hallmark is on the front of the nail, which is great if you want to show it off, but otherwise interrupts the flow of the design. However, it's only small, and I doubt most people would notice it
- Secondly it doesn't come with any fixing pads, which is slightly annoying.

Otherwise a great product for usage by anyone

Aqua Sphere Kaiman Exo Regular Fit Clear Swimming Goggles - Blue/White
Aqua Sphere Kaiman Exo Regular Fit Clear Swimming Goggles - Blue/White

5.0 out of 5 stars I love them!, 4 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do quite a lot of recreational swimming, once or twice a week, so I do use goggles regularly. Unfortunately, I seem to go through them quite fast for one reason or another – either losing them or breaking them, so I was very pleased to be offered these and keen to try them out.

I have found them comfortable to wear – they fit snugly over the eye without pinching. And they are very easy to adjust, you just press the little plastic lever at the side to loosen the strap and then you can pull it out. Once they are on your head, you simply pull the loose ends to tighten the strap again. Which, incidentally, makes them easy to put on and adjust to feel comfortable.

I like that they are clear (my other pair is orange, which gives the world a strange cast!), and they seem not to fog up at all so far.

Overall, I am incredibly pleased with these and I have given them 5*s. At the current offer price of £15.93 they seem like very good value to me.

Hot Diamonds Sterling Silver and Daimond Aqua Pendant with Chain of 40-46 cm
Hot Diamonds Sterling Silver and Daimond Aqua Pendant with Chain of 40-46 cm

2.0 out of 5 stars lovely concept, pity about the execution, 4 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What you get here is 3 rather lovely silver “droplets” (which really do look just like the picture), the largest one is about 4cm long. They come in three separate plastic bags (and the chain in another one) for you to assemble yourself … I suppose you could view this as giving you flexibility, but really it gives a disastrous first impression – instead of a beautiful piece of jewellery you have just received 3 bits of silver in plastic bags.

The diamond? Well I don’t know why they bothered, it’s about 1mm across – in fact I had to get out my glasses and peer at it to see that it wasn’t just some kind of hallmark. Maybe there’s some cachet in knowing you have a diamond in there, but for me they could have just stamped a little design on the silver.

What really, really lets the pendant down is the chain. It is VERY thin. And because they haven’t bothered to package it properly, but just dropped it loose into a plastic bag, it was hopelessly tangled when I got it – it took me a good 15 mins of painstaking work with a little tool from my mending box to unknot it.

Now the packaging … and this is what makes the way it was delivered so breath-takingly poor. The box is huge for such a small item – 9x9x6 cm. There’s a white cardboard overwrap, which I suppose is just to protect it in transit; the white box has a padded top, and a drawer that slides out. The drawer is lined with brown baize, and has a removable insert which is designed to support the pendant. So once you have assembled it, it looks lovely – but the first impression is disastrous.

Is it worth the rrp of £69.95? Well that’s a very subjective judgement, but it doesn’t feel like it to me. At the very least it needs a nicer chain, of a weight that feels more appropriate to the quality and weight of the droplets.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Bosch TDI9020GB Steam Generator Iron, 3120 W - Black/Red
Bosch TDI9020GB Steam Generator Iron, 3120 W - Black/Red

4.0 out of 5 stars effective at getting creases out, 25 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an expensive iron – certainly a lot more expensive than my previous (Russell Hobbs) iron – and the difference shows. It whizzed comfortably through the pile of ironing I had been storing up; I found it easy to hold and manoeuvre and effective in use – so the ironing went quicker than usual.

I positively love the iTemp function which means I don’t have to worry about setting the temperature correctly for each item (I often forget!).

The only problems I have with it (and why it doesn’t get 5 *s) are:
- it does create a LOT of steam, and hence empties the reservoir quite quickly
- on the MAX steam setting, or when you ask for a steam boost, it can sometimes spit water onto the clothes
- the motor gets noisy when the reservoir starts to get low (which is quite a useful warning that you need to refill)
- and most importantly, I found it almost impossible to use as a dry iron; the red button under the handle is right where you want to grip and will release steam when you don’t want it!

AmazonBasics Everyday Duvet Set with 2 Pillowcases, Double - Dark Green
AmazonBasics Everyday Duvet Set with 2 Pillowcases, Double - Dark Green

3.0 out of 5 stars good quality cotton, 25 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Amazon basics range doesn’t really seem all that “basic” to me – you can certainly buy cheaper bedding at Dunelm, or even on Amazon itself. However, this duvet set is made of good quality, 100% cotton (unlike the cheaper offerings) which promises to wear well.

While I am very pleased with the quality, and incidentally with the colour (which happens to be perfect for my bedroom), I am surprised that the plain colour duvet sets are priced at only just over 10% less than the patterned ones – making this plain green duvet set seem relatively expensive.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20