Profile for H. Ashford > Reviews

Content by H. Ashford

H. Ashford "hashford" (Sheffield, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dexshell Ultralite Waterproof Socks - Hi Vis (Medium UK 6-8)
Dexshell Ultralite Waterproof Socks - Hi Vis (Medium UK 6-8)
Offered by Trail Adventure Store Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars very pleased with them, 10 Mar. 2015
These are thinner than my Sealskinz, but that’s OK they fit in my running shoe better. And they don’t come up the leg as far – which is OK for me as I am not splashing through streams. At half the price, I think they represent fantastic value for money.

I have found them extremely comfortable to run in – much nicer than my ordinary running socks, so I will probably use them all year round :-). So far, my feet have stayed dry, but I have only worn them a couple of times.

Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner - 5 g, N1 Black
Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner - 5 g, N1 Black

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, 10 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This eyeliner pencil provides a great deal of precision and allows you to make very strong marks if you wish. It's much easier to make thin marks with than a standard pencil eye liner and, it stays on really well, but it's not very water proof. The smudger it comes with is great and can be used either to make a smoky eye effect or to remove small mistakes if you're making wings

Overall I loved this eyeliner, and thought it was very easy to use

First4spares Universal Black Control Knobs for Ovens, Cookers and Hobs (Pack of 4)
Offered by L.M Electrical

4.0 out of 5 stars did the job, but pricey, 1 Mar. 2015
I needed replacement knobs for my cooker. I had been managing quite well with only 4 out of 6 knobs working properly, but when I broke one of those it was the last straw! So I ordered these generic knobs.

These come with 3 sets of fixings in two lengths and two sizes of hole – one combination of which was right for my cooker. I found them easy to fit in place.

So why not 5*s? Well, at £12 for a set of 4 I think they’re rather pricey. Also they seem flimsy to me, and ugly, and not very positive to grasp. So while they have done the job I need, I’m not exactly wowed by them.

Igenix IG3001 2 Slice Toaster 750 W  - White
Igenix IG3001 2 Slice Toaster 750 W - White

4.0 out of 5 stars cheap and cheerful, 25 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At the current reduced price (£15) this toaster is good value for money.

It produces evenly browned toast, it has 6 settings so you can choose how brown you want your toast to be, it will deal with different thicknesses from thin sliced bread to crumpets, it can toast frozen bread, and even warms up cooled toast.

I agree with other reviewers that it is odd that they don’t make it big enough to take bread from a standard sliced loaf – but that wasn’t a big problem for me. I was more bothered by the fact that I would have liked the lead to be longer so that I have more choice about where I can place it.

Overall, I am pleased to have a cheap and cheerful piece of kitchen equipment that my daughter can take to university with her.

Unstoppable: Using the Power of Focus to Take Action and Achieve Your Goals
Unstoppable: Using the Power of Focus to Take Action and Achieve Your Goals
by Pete Wilkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars for people who don’t want to be bothered with compromise, 25 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unstoppable by Pete Wilkinson - for people who don’t want to be bothered with compromise ****

I’ve read a number of these motivational books, and I always seem to fail at the first hurdle. That is, I find it nigh on impossible to settle on that all important goal for my life or work. I used to wonder what was wrong with me – do I lack focus, or determination? But having thought about this over the years, I have come to the conclusion that setting a goal and then pursuing it single-mindedly is not necessarily a good recipe for a happy, or even a successful, life.

So, what is it about this book that has triggered this outburst from me! For a start I was not impressed by the preface (where he talks about completing a long-distance triathlon). And the reason I am not impressed is this. Competing a major endurance event requires a huge investment of time – hours of training week after week – but where does he talk about the sacrifices that he and his family must have made in order to make it possible for him to invest that time on top of running a business?

Also you have to ask, is there no value in doing things just for themselves? If you find yourself saying things like “my focus wasn’t on the pain I was experiencing; it was on the way I would feel at the end” (page17), you might want to ask yourself if the means justifies the end. I also have a leisure activity which requires repetitive and time consuming training in order to develop strength and expertise, but I don’t need a “goal” or a “vision” to motivate me to maintain my training – I do it for the benefits of the activity.

Having said all that, this book is very clearly set out. If you can decide on your “crystal clear vision”, then Wilkinson can give you a structured approach which will give you a better chance of achieving it. For me, the benefit lies in the structure – create your vision, break it down into main 3 objectives, set 5 goals for each of the objectives. (Standard “dealing with elephant tasks” stuff that I learned in the 1980s). The benefit is two-fold – firstly break a big task into manageable parts, and secondly give yourself a means of monitoring progress.

The whole of the objectives section is about good Project Management. Stay outcome focussed. Set goals that are measurable and achievable, etc, etc. Then there is a useful section of key skills – leadership, personal organisation, relationship building and key strength development – all good stuff for anyone in a professional or managerial role.

Overall, I feel this is a well structured book with lots of good advice, which will help people to be more focussed at work and at home, and develop the skills to be more productive and to achieve more. Just don’t take it TOO seriously!

PhysioWorld Spikey Massage Ball - 7cm / 9cm - Blue / Pink (Pink, 9cm)
PhysioWorld Spikey Massage Ball - 7cm / 9cm - Blue / Pink (Pink, 9cm)
Offered by Shop@PHYSIOWORLD

2.0 out of 5 stars Too hard, too spiky, too big, 18 Feb. 2015
I bought this because I get a lot of tension across my upper back and need to be able to massage it by myself.

I find this ball too hard and too spiky. I can’t use it on the floor at all, only on the bed. Also, I find it too big. Yes that’s my fault for buying the 9cm instead of the 7cm ball, but I feel the Amazon page could give more information about how to use it and which size is best for different purposes.

All in all, I prefer my trusty tennis ball, which seems to do the job just as well.

Spanish Gold Saffron 4g - Grade A Premium Quality
Spanish Gold Saffron 4g - Grade A Premium Quality
Offered by Crazee Deal

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but not as effective?, 18 Feb. 2015
Well this is a LOT cheaper than the tiny little amounts you can buy in overpriced Schwarz jars ... but I’m not convinced that it works as well. The rice doesn’t seem to go that nice yellow, and the flavour isn’t really there either.

Having said that, it is a whole lot better than the 10kg bag I bought for 1€ in Tenerife!

INCEPTIO (Roma Nova Book 1)
INCEPTIO (Roma Nova Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Does she walk on water too?, 18 Feb. 2015
I would have liked to give this book one star for the terrible plot and one-dimensional characters, but I have to admit that I enjoyed reading it - it was light and easy to read and the story motored along at the right pace for me. I don't normally read alternative history as a genre, so it made an interesting change.

Having said that, am I the only person to find Karen/Carina/Cara intensely annoying? Everything she touches works out perfectly, she turns from a non-entity office worker into a sort of super-hero in the course of a few months; learns a foreign language perfectly including idiom and accent to a level that normal people take years of immersion to achieve; Apollodorus turns from Mafia style boss and hard man into trusted partner at the drop of a hat; she's a crack shot, survival expert, etc, etc.

With the possible exception of Renschmann there are no interesting male characters. You really get the feeling that the author doesn't like men! Conrad ricochets from lover, to bullying big brother, to best friend with virtually no pause for breath.

But the biggest disappointment is that I was not even remotely impressed with the so called matriarchal society of Roma Nova. To me it seemed very much like current American society except with male and female names switched about. There's the police, and the military, and the prison camps ... all very male pattern of ruling (based on force). I would hope that a society that had been governed by women for 2000 years would be very different; I would expect the government & justice systems to be more complex and multi-layered, based more on cooperation, compromise, persuasion and mutual benefit. It would have been nice to see men in very different roles - valued for their skills, speed, strength and focus, but kept well away from the complex or strategic thinking and planning that women do so much better.

Jackson Reece Flushable Travel Wipes--24 x Packs of 10 (240 Wipes)
Jackson Reece Flushable Travel Wipes--24 x Packs of 10 (240 Wipes)

5.0 out of 5 stars convenient and good value for money, 18 Feb. 2015
I bought these because they come in small packets, suitable for travelling – and, despite extensive searching, I had been unable to buy flushable travel wipes on the high street. These do the job I need them to do, and I have no complaints.

I have to say I didn’t really need a box of 24 packs, and would have been happy to buy a smaller quantity had that been offered, but at under £1 a pack they seem like good value to me, and I guess they will get used eventually.

Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Cleanser Powder 990 g - Fresh Cotton, Pack of 3
Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Cleanser Powder 990 g - Fresh Cotton, Pack of 3

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't meet my needs, 18 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well I was planning a dissertation on how I am a busy working mother and I don’t have the time (or the interest) to pre-soak clothes – especially delicate materials which are the only ones I wash at 30C – but I see other reviewers have been there before me.

So, in a nutshell, yes, if this was a product I could put in the washing machine with the wash, then I would use it. As I have it, I will use it for pre-soaking “dirty” items like knickers and handkerchiefs, but I hate the fact that it is powder and I have to work to dissolve it, and I do ask myself if it is really any better than a bio washing liquid. I won’t be buying another carton when this one is used up.

Which is a pity, because frankly, it is with the delicate fabrics (which I wash with non-bio washing liquid) that I notice a lingering smell of sweat, and I had hoped for a product that would address that problem.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20