Profile for FJ Jones > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Coats Yarn Acrylic Blend Red Heart Super Saver Yarn-Bright Yellow
Coats Yarn Acrylic Blend Red Heart Super Saver Yarn-Bright Yellow

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect minion yellow!, 17 Jun. 2016
I've seen a large number of patterns on Pinterest and YouTube that use this American yarn so I thought I'd give it a go. It's a worsted weight yarn, which is supposedly similar to UK aran weight. This is a huge skein, weighing 14oz/396g providing yardage of 744 yds/681 m and is absolutely the perfect shade of yellow for any minion related projects.

The first thing I noticed (other than its spectacular yellowness!) is that it's not as soft as other aran weight yarns I've used recently. It has a slightly scratchy quality, so personally I wouldn't use it to make items of clothing - although maybe a hat would be OK. Secondly, it's quite dense. I don't really think it's much thicker than other aran yarns, but it does feel quite weighty so it's great for a blanket. It works up really quickly too, so you'll see your project grow rapidly before your eyes, which is always nice. It seems like it will be quite hard-wearing, so I'm hoping that it will wash well and that the finished product will stand the test of time. Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see the end from INSIDE the skein already conveniently sticking out of the side so I didn't have to go poking around for it. Definitely a bonus for those of us who like to work from the inside out!

I've used about half of this yarn so far, having made a simple small blanket. However, I did have a couple of issues with the overall quality. I came across several sections of yarn that were considerably thicker than the "normal" parts, as if they hadn't been spun properly. These sections were about 3 or 4 inches in length and came up every few rows. I wasn't too bothered about this in my blanket so I left them in, but you can definitely see them in the final product. There was also one section of yarn that had somehow got dark green fibres spun into it. This was about 5 inches long and was so noticeable against the bright yellow that I ended up having to cut it out and rejoin the yarn. I've never used this brand before, so I don't know if these are common issues or if this was just a "dodgy" batch. If I knew it were definitely a one-off, I may have given this 4 stars instead of 3.

Overall, I think this is an ok yarn for household items and novelty projects; it's handy that there's a massive range of colours available. I'd probably buy it again, if the price were right. However, I wouldn't go out of my way to source it for a particular pattern when there are plenty of cheaper (and possibly better quality) alternatives readily available.

FUSION - Set of 12 High Quality Bamboo Crochet Hooks Needles - in sizes 3mm, 3.5mm, 4mm, 4.5mm, 5, 5.5, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm and 10mm - in a plastic partitioned wallet/case
Offered by WowBox UK (EU-wide shipping)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job!, 5 Jun. 2016
I've recently taken up crocheting again and was making a project using a 4mm plastic hook I got free with a magazine, which I HATED with a passion. I was looking for a replacement hook of the same size, but ended up buying this full set instead. And I'm pleased I did! I already had some of the sizes, but this is still great value for money. The plastic organiser is handy for keeping them all in order and the size is clearly marked on the handle of each hook. They were delivered really quickly (ordered late Thursday evening, despatched Friday, arrived Saturday) so I was able to ditch that awful plastic hook and carry on with my project, which I completed much sooner than I would have done! Personally I love bamboo - it's so light and comfortable in your hand to work with. I find using metal hooks makes my hand cramp up more and I can't stand plastic. The ends of these hooks (particularly the smaller sizes) perhaps aren't quite as "pointy" as some metal hooks, which may be worth considering if your pattern is for something complicated/intricate in a light-weight yarn. However, I've been using them with both dk and chunky cotton yarn and they've been great. I'm very happy with my purchase and would definitely buy again.

Dolly and Dotty Floral Print 1950's Vintage Dress in Black/Red Floral Print Size 16
Offered by Dolly and Dotty

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 31 Jan. 2016
This dress is gorgeous. I would say the sizing is pretty much the same as in any average high street shop. The fabric is much better quality than I was anticipating for the price. It arrived with two belts (a black one and a red one) which was an added bonus I wasn't expecting. Also, it's a very flattering style for those of us who are of more generous proportions! The way it was packaged meant that it wasn't looking its best when I opened it, but a good ironing soon sorted that out. Excellent product. Will definitely buy again from this seller.

niceeshop(TM) Lovely Vintage Jewelry Crystal Peacock Hair Clips Hair Accessories-Light Blue
Offered by niceEshop

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks exactly as in the picture and it seems to be quite sturdy. Although it's a bit heavier than I was ..., 22 Jan. 2016
Arrived when expected. Looks exactly as in the picture and it seems to be quite sturdy. Although it's a bit heavier than I was expecting, it stays in place well in my very thick hair. May not work so well for those with finer hair.

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jillian Michaels

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point for beginners, 13 Jan. 2016
This is great for kick starting a fitness regime. There are 3 separate workouts that are around 20 minutes each and the idea is to do the level 1 workout for 10 days, then level 2 for 10 days and finally level 3 for 10 days. Easier versions of some of the exercises are also demonstrated for beginners. As a complete couch potato, I struggled to complete level 1 at first (in fact, I struggled to make it through just the first ten minutes!) so I stuck with level 1 for much longer than 10 days before moving on to level 2. I did eventually make it to level 3. I only gave this 4 stars because it does get a bit boring having to repeat the same workout day after day. Also, there are quite a lot of jumping exercises which I ended up having to swap for something more low impact (my poor knees!) I still go back to it every now and then for a "one off" - it's great if you're short on time, but still want to get in a good workout. It might not be challenging enough for those who already have a decent fitness level, (although you could probably just do all three workouts one after the other, lol!) Great for a beginner though - lots of instruction on correct form and how to modify exercises you can't quite manage yet. Buy it and you'll be lying on the floor in a puddle of your own sweat in no time!

32nd® Crystal Gel Slimline Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy A5 SM-A500 (2015), including screen protector, cleaning cloth and touch stylus - Purple
Offered by 32ndShop

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this! It fits really well, 13 Jan. 2016
I love this! It fits really well, looks good and does the job without adding bulk to the phone. The colour is lovely and the little stylus is the best one I've had so far. The price is great too. I'd definitely buy this again.

KAMAL STAR [TM] Samsung Galaxy A5 Premium PU Leather Magnetic Flip Wallet Case Cover Pouch +STYLUS (Pink Flower Dark Grey Book)
Offered by Style Your Mobile Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up!, 5 Dec. 2015
This arrived quickly, does the job and is actually much better quality than I was expecting, given the price. It's pretty sturdy and seems built to last. I really like the magnetic closure, so it stays shut when bouncing around in your bag. The only issue I've had is that it ever-so-slightly obstructs the charging port, so a little jiggling is required to get the charger in. However, I would definitely buy this again. Thumbs up from me.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 21 Oct. 2015
This fits well and looks ok. It's not the best quality, but then what do you expect for the price? I ended up throwing the screen protector in the bin as it wouldn't stick. The pen/stylus is great though. I didn't realise this would take so long to arrive until after I'd placed my order and discovered it was coming from China. When it did arrive it was well packaged, although it also had my mobile phone number emblazoned across the front of the package (so much for privacy!!!) All in all, it does the job and I think it's a fair product for the price. Would I buy it again? Probably not.

After 1 month of use this is already falling apart. Big chunks of the plastic casing have cracked and fallen off, although it still holds the phone in... so far.

TAP SPARE SINK BASIN & BATH AERATOR 22MM MALE END CHROM
TAP SPARE SINK BASIN & BATH AERATOR 22MM MALE END CHROM
Offered by MGM TAPS

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Oct. 2015
Arrived promptly, did the job, problem solved. The plumber wanted to replace the whole mixer tap for around £150 so we're very happy with this much cheaper solution!

Before I Come Home [Explicit]
Before I Come Home [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything old is new again, 5 Nov. 2014
There's a really fresh and new vibe about this, while at the same time there are echoes of an indefinable 'something' that stirs my soul. It makes me feel nostalgic about a time I can't remember. Which makes no sense at all, but I like it. It's folky, it's country-y, it's rocky, it's got yummy vocals... Anyway, I've had 'Montana Men' on repeat for at least two hours and I'm not fed up of it yet, so it's a thumbs up from me!

Page: 1 | 2