Profile for Highlander > Reviews

Content by Highlander

Highlander "highlander1715" (Inverness,Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
A Traveller in Two Worlds: Volume 1 - The Early Life of Scotland's Wandering Bard
by David Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars Duncan Williamson,, a man to conjure with, 16 Sep 2011
This book by my friend David Campbell underlines,deepens and expands the understanding of Duncan;s own book "The Horsieman" which is an autobiographical account of his life as a traveller which I reviewed some time ago and essential reading for understanding and appreciating the traveller life style,its joys and its hardships.Duncan,and rich memories of him live richly in my mind too for I was also his friend and myself and Duncan often stayed with David in his Edinburgh flat.Boredom was never an issue with Duncan present.I miss him still.This is an excellent addition to the corpus of writings by or about Duncan and is highly recommended and appreciated.The Horsieman: Memories of a Traveller 1928-58

The Power of Identity: v. 2: The Information Age - Economy, Society and Culture (Information Age Series)
by Manuel Castells

1.0 out of 5 stars No Identity, False information,, 18 Feb 2010
This book has two inaccuracies already discovered and I have never read it yet.Frankie Schaeffer,Francis Schaeffer's son wrote the book "A Time for Anger" and Francis August Schaeffer ,his father died in 1984 not 1981.No Identity, false information and doubt caused as to whether one should buy it.Pity because I like to read a book before reviewing it but this made me doubt whether it was worthwhile and was the rest of his stated interest in various identities valid and was it correct information?.These two mistakes, seen in the look inside section do not inspire confidence.Francis Schaeffer: An Authentic Life
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2013 10:14 PM BST

The Darien Disaster
The Darien Disaster
by John Prebble

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book on a Disaster worse than Flodden in the Longer Term., 18 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Darien Disaster (Paperback)
An excellent book full of good source material and excellent research.All books since John's book have quoted him as an authority on the period in question and certainly others have extended and built on his analysis or have come to other conclusions possibly but a reviewer such as the one star one who reads twenty pages only and throws it in the bin and then has the disgraceful urge and effrontery of wishing to and writing something about the said book does the author of it a tremendous injustice,does no service to Amazon, nor it's sellers nor aspiring readers who wish to be educated about the events,actions, persons etc portrayed, and furthermore does damage to the high standard that other reviewers aspire to such as integrity of judgement,scale and scope of their review and an honest appraisal of the work reviewed.Readers should ignore the one star review here,it is as much a review as a fly is a bumblebee.The Highland Clearances

Happier Than God: Turn Ordinary Life into an Extraordinary Experience
Happier Than God: Turn Ordinary Life into an Extraordinary Experience
by Neale Donald Walsch

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It For it Sets An Example, 5 Nov 2009
There is nothing here to recommend this book and I resent the one star rating I have to give it.Why does Amazon do this,Is it afraid of honesty.I love this book because it is such a good example as to why you should Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivitynot waste your money,your time and your soul on this feel good fantasy.It is filthy rags ?He uses words to say why words are inadequate.Actually the truth is that the Word was God and the Word was with God in the beginning.JOHN 1.1 All things were made by Him.He was in the beginning with God.John 1.2.All things came into being through Him.John 1-3 ...including language.Language preceded man not the other way about..In Him was life and the life was the light of men.This is the One, the promised Messiah, the only begotten not made Son of God,the Man who was to be called Jesus who came to die and shed His blood for you and for me.I plead with you read the Gospel of John and ask God to show you Himself within its pages.If you want to do better than that read in the Bible this verseJohn 3.16.And here it is "For God so loved the World that He gave His only begotten son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but shall have eternal life."

When Everything Changes, Change Everything: In a Time of Upheaval, a Doorway to Peace
by Neale Donald Walsch

1.0 out of 5 stars Feel Bad and get something REAL HELP not this FEEL GOOD FANTASY WHICH WILL SEND YOU EMPTY AWAY, 5 Nov 2009
There is nothing here to recommend this book either and its not much different from the other one and I resent the one star rating I have to give it.Why does Amazon do this,Is it afraid of honesty.Do not waste your money,your time and your soul on this feel good fantasy.It is filthy rags ?He uses words to say why words are inadequate.Actually the truth is that the Word was God and the Word was with God in the beginning.JOHN 1.1 All things were made by Him.He was in the beginning with God.John 1.2.All things came into being through Him.John 1-3 ...including language.Language preceded man not the other way about..In Him was life and the life was the light of men.This is the One, the promised Messiah, the only begotten not made Son of God,the Man who was to be called Jesus who came to die and shed His blood for you and for me.I plead with you read the Gospel of John and ask God to show you Himself within its pages.If you want to do better than that read in the Bible this verseJohn 3.16.And here it is "For God so loved the World that He gave His only begotten son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but shall have eternal life."
Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural CaptivityNancy Pearcey,Foreword by Philip E Johnson
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2014 11:08 AM GMT

ON THE HIGH C'S (A LIGHT-HEARTED JOURNEY).
ON THE HIGH C'S (A LIGHT-HEARTED JOURNEY).
by Father Sydney. MacEwan

5.0 out of 5 stars Father Sydney, A Voice in the clear air, 5 Oct 2009
I had the privelege of knowing Father Sydney as a boy growing up in Lochgilphead,Argyll,Scotland.In childhood one often does not appreciate fully the beauty around and Lochgilphead is set in one of the most beautiful counties in Scotland and what I had of my childhood at tmes was idyllic in some ways.I was introduced to Father Sydney by gramaphone,by his records and my father knew him as a friend and shared the Judaic-Christian faith though my father and mother were of the Protestant persuasion.I learnt a lot of the Scottish songs the Father had sung profesionally that way and of course being a boy I thought for some reason that he might enjoy his own songs sung to him and his mother at Halloween that being I would have assumed a sincere form of flattery. I would go to his house dunking for apples and sing Mother Machree to him and his Mother.He was always whether then or at other tmes and occasions it seems to me a most considerate man and a man of a quiet and steady conviction in his belief in God.
This same characteristics are gently portrayed in this book which is a deceptively easy and enjoyable read.It was in his garden in Lochgilphead at quarter to twelve pm on the 29th August 1964 and I was fourteen that I stood alone in the garden with both my mother dead some two years previously and my father dead by March that same year.I looked up at the stars in a starry starry night sky and I asked God if He was there that He would prove to me He lived. He did.Forty six years have gone since that day and hour and I am still utterly convinced and thankful to God.Father Sydney then too is grafted to my heart by more than friendship now.I look forward to seeing him again.

Greyfriars Bobby: The Real Story at Last
Greyfriars Bobby: The Real Story at Last
by Forbes Macgregor

5.0 out of 5 stars Forbes Macgregor,, Raconteur and Gentleman Does it Again, 17 Sep 2009
Forbes Macgregor,, Raconteur and Gentleman Does it Again

I count myself fortunate to have had the privilege of knowing Forbes as a friend and fellow writer and I can say with alacrity and pleasure that he was always of the greatest of company and had a good Scots sense of the good story.We regularly met just up from Greyfriars Church and the little statue of Bobby and Forbes does a great job of resurrecting the truth of the wee dog away from the embellishments of Hollywood and it is all the better for that.The book comes thoroughly recommended and a great memorial in its own way to a fine man and a great companion,a steadfast friend,and an excellent human being.Scotland is the poorer for his passing.

Midges in Scotland
Midges in Scotland
by George Hendry

5.0 out of 5 stars Midgie- The Highland Terrier, 2 Sep 2009
This review is from: Midges in Scotland (Paperback)
These fierce and biting beasties are well researched in this fun book and I would recommend "Avon skin so soft" cream better than most and cheaper,they still swarm around you but they will not land and bite you I have found.

Flight of the Midgie!  Stories of Scotland's Tiniest Biting Beasties
Flight of the Midgie! Stories of Scotland's Tiniest Biting Beasties
by Kenneth Laird

5.0 out of 5 stars The Midgie Rant, 2 Sep 2009
Och,maybe you're a tourist here
And dinna ken the score
For Midgies are the flies that arent mentioned in brochures
For they like a bit of foreign blood
That comes frae foreign shores
For when they taste a bit of it

For when they taste a bit of it

Ye'l see oor Highlanders well armed wi Sgian Dhubh and dirk
And aye they look sae bonny wi kilts swinging in the mirk
And what ye ken as highland dance and shouts like (Slainthe)slangevar
Is when the midgies bite them
And the Scots know where they are

they know just where they are
they know just where they are
They leap like highland dancers
For they know just where they are

Ye ken o Bruce and Bannockburn how murderous the fray
Edward of England's haughty pride was crushed upon the day
Bruce sent wee reinforcements then to harry all the rest
When He tried to chase the midgies back he came off second best

he came off second best
he came off second best
When He tried to chase the midgies back he came off second best

So when you come tae Scotland's glens
Wear your cream and wear a hood
For the midgies arent squeamish
When it comes tae spilling blood
Aye they love to hear the tourists scream
And Run back towards the bus
Aye they might have mercy on ye

Aye they might have mercy on ye
For you're just as sore as us

These fierce and biting beasties then
Are short and deadly foes
When they come it's not to kiss you
Though you smell just like a rose
So stay inside the Bus and close the windows fast
For Scotlands just as beautiful

For Scotlands just as beautiful
Viewed safely through the glass

To the Tune of "Yellow on the broom"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2010 7:26 PM GMT

War Game (Puffin Non-fiction)
War Game (Puffin Non-fiction)
by Michael Foreman

5.0 out of 5 stars The Poetry is in the Pity, 2 Sep 2009
If anything ever displays war as the tragedy it is,this true story of the First World War shows it above all others.It is movingly told and all the more potently and memorably because so many of the author's relatives were killed during it in the flowering of their manhood while the dew of youth was still on their brow.
Now in the ranks of death and now only names inscribed in marble in some sad shires it breaks the heart to know these same young men sang songs together and played a game of football across no-mans land before the rifles,cannons,and machine guns rattled out death to hundreds of thousands of them on both sides.My grandfather was killed at Ypres,my father was badly scarred and lost the right side of his face,his nose and right eye in the Second World War at Cassino and I was slightly wounded myself when I saw service with the Argylls in Berlin during the so called Cold War.The tears sprang to my eyes while reading this book,I could not stop either sobbing or reading,at its end there was both.Dulce et decorum este pro patria Mori.What gross untruths that sent innocent men to their deaths.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2010 7:29 PM GMT