Profile for sv72 > Reviews

Superpet Mini Rainbow Run-About Ball, 5-inch
Superpet Mini Rainbow Run-About Ball, 5-inch
Price: 5.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Item arrived broken, 20 Feb 2014
The two halves of the ball come apart quite easily and one of the two I ordered it would not fit together at all. I'm live overseas so returning it is just too inconvenient.

A Dirty Dancing Workout
A Dirty Dancing Workout
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.87

1.0 out of 5 stars You can do better, 17 April 2007
This review is from: A Dirty Dancing Workout (DVD)
There are any number of exercise workouts that are better than this one. I think it a total con to sell this as the 'dirty dancing' workout because like many of the others who have reviewed this, I at least expected to be dancing to music from the soundtrack of this movie. Not at all - the music was tinny and uninspiring and didn't seem to have anything to do with the soundtrack.

As a workout, I'm surprised that some of you worked up much of a sweat on this one. If you are total beginner and unfit then maybe so but for intermediate to advanced exercisers, give this one a miss.

by Beverley Lawrence Beech

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any woman expecting a baby, 5 Oct 2005
This book changed the way I looked at my pregnancy quite dramatically. Until I read it, I had thought that doctor knows best. I had booked myself into a hospital on the assumption that their priority would be my and my baby's well-being and that every test offered and 'routine' procedure would be necessary and backed up by research. I was so wrong. Maternity medicine is one of the least researched areas of medicine. So many of the practices are questionable; so few women are put into a position to give proper informed consent.
The author has written a new book as well called 'Am I allowed?'. I'd also recommend Pat Thomas' 'Your birth rights'. Read read and then read some more - that's the best advice I can offer any pregnant woman who wants a normal and safe delivery of her child.

by Beverley Lawrence Beech

5.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, a MUST READ for any pregnant woman, 20 Jan 2005
The state of midwifery care provided by the NHS is in such an unfortunate state (not down to the midwives I hasten to add) that any pregnant woman who wishes to run an INFORMED pregnancy and make intelligent, balanced decisions that are best for HER care and that of her baby rather than the convenience of a litigation-conscious, cash strapped hospital practicing 'defensive medicine', must read this book. The book is balanced, informative and well referenced.
Doctor doesn't know best and you'd be quite shocked to know just how questionable are some of the 'routine' practices used in antenatal care.

Birth Rights: A Guide to Getting the Best Possible Care for You and Your Child
Birth Rights: A Guide to Getting the Best Possible Care for You and Your Child
by Pat Thomas
Price: 7.11

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone expecting a baby, 23 Jan 2004
Well written, concise and precise with a good 'pros and cons' analysis of routine procedures offered in hospitals. This book enabled me to make well informed decisions about my pregnancy and my labour right down to the last minute of my birth experience! Don't leave it to your midwife to explain things to you; having a baby is the most important time of your life and it's up to you to make sure that decisions made are right for you and your baby rather than simply being done according to 'hospital protocol'. Easy to understand, it will give you confidence.

Rediscovering Birth
Rediscovering Birth
by Sheila Kitzinger

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 12 July 2003
This review is from: Rediscovering Birth (Hardcover)
I have to disagree with Ros Ellis' review above in particular her assertion that birth in it's natural state is a dangerous affair. Yes, in the UK women did die in the early part of the last century and yes, in Africa, there is a higher rate of infant and maternal mortality. However, the reason for this is NOT to do with increased use in obstetrics, rather lack of hygience, sanitation, education, good nutrition and education and countless other factors (liek the fact that in the west, we tend to abort babies with congenital defects who would otherwise die shortly after birth). To draw a link between decrease in death in the UK with the increase in medical intervention is to make a quantum leap of the imagination.