Profile for Richard French > Reviews

Richard French

All Madly Educational
All Madly Educational
by Brian French

5.0 out of 5 stars Illustrated throughout with good pics of past and present St Helens, 12 Nov. 2015
This review is from: All Madly Educational (Paperback)
I looked for this book in Bibliography but found it in a section on Clockwork Toys ( wierd?)

This is the funniest book I've read in ages..A romp through the 1950s at a Boys Grammar School moving from a frightened First Year to a confident Sixth Former - and finally finding 'lerve' . Definitely a boy's book with detentions and canings, silly rules, mad masters, smut a gogo, and sport in plenty. It picks up on all the major political/sociall events of the period, from the Festival of Britain to the Manchester United disaster, and the coming of 'The Teenager with acne'. Illustrated throughout with good pics of past and present St Helens. Can be read in one sitting.
Not really suitable for maiden aunts of a puritan nature, but a good stocking filler for Xmas.

With my name I may seem to be a biased reviewer, but anybody who thinks his dad is funny must be telling the truth!!!!!

Hatchett and Lycett
Hatchett and Lycett
by Nigel Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars The ambivalence of Norma's love for both men was well drawn and understandable, 2 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Hatchett and Lycett (Paperback)
A very clever book with a complex plot. The descriptions of being bombed in sunny suburbia and the events at Dunkirk were quite compelling.
Was it Williams intent to confuse us with the similarities of the names? I had to keep checking who was who,especially when the identical twin appeared. The ambivalence of Norma's love for both men was well drawn and understandable. The succession of teacher's deaths kept the interest and the funeral cum wedding was a riot. The misreported Chamberlain speech ,'We are now at war with Poland' was wonderful.

If I read it again I'll probably give it the extra star

Us
Us
by David Nicholls

3.0 out of 5 stars He was a prat and she was too sharp for her own good. Did not really care whether he saved his ..., 2 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Us (Paperback)
Did not live up to the hype for me. None of the characters seemed to be very likeable.
He was a prat and she was too sharp for her own good.
Did not really care whether he saved his marriage or not .
Very well written but too much plodding round tourist sites ad nauseam
No wonder his son acted up all the time.
Passable

They Came From SW19 (Wimbledon Trilogy 2)
They Came From SW19 (Wimbledon Trilogy 2)
by Nigel Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not be eating or drinking while reading this book or you will choke to death Better than anything he's done so far, 2 Sept. 2015
Absolutely hilarious.

Do not be eating or drinking while reading this book or you will choke to death

Better than anything he's done so far

The Nag Hammadi Scriptures: The Revised and Updated Translation of Sacred Gnostic Texts Complete in One Volume
by Marvin W. Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Scriptures, 22 Jun. 2014
I found this book excellent in the insight it gives us into all the books that didn't make it into the Bible. There is a lot of good cross-referencing with the appropriate Bible texts and helpful introductions to each of the Nag Hammadi Scriptures. I would suggest that it is required reading for anyone, particularly Theology students of any faith not just Christian, who wishes to know more about the whole story of Christ, and particularly about the significance of Mary of Magdala. The book is quite difficult to tackle but well worth while for those with an open mind and imagination to other points of view rather than simply those we are offered in the New Testament. Actually as a Catholic it has deepened my faith and I hope this will happen for others too.

Bosch Decalcifying Tablets for Coffee Machines, 6 Tablets
Bosch Decalcifying Tablets for Coffee Machines, 6 Tablets
Offered by DESCALER co uk

5.0 out of 5 stars worked perfectly, 17 Mar. 2013
Will definitely try this product again as it is so simple to use and sorted out the problem on my Tassimo machine, so I will be ordering again very soon.

TASSIMO Costa Cappuccino coffee 16 discs, 8 servings (Pack of 5, Total 80 discs/pods, 40 servings)

5.0 out of 5 stars best coffee ever, 17 Mar. 2013
Fantastic cappucino, will order again soon as I drink so much of it. I also bought the Bosch Tassimo from Amazon and it works a treat.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Body added to my very thin fine hair, 17 Mar. 2013
Definitely add body, but hair a bit difficult to comb through after applying the spray,I might consider purchasing again but not sure yet.

Hair Dryer Professional by Mark Hill
Hair Dryer Professional by Mark Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Best heated rollers ever, 17 Mar. 2013
Thank you for the Enrapture rollers. They really are great. Easy to use, curls stay put and leave hair soft and not dry. I would definitely recommend them.

The Golden Hour
The Golden Hour

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicholson is the best writer in this country today, 11 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Golden Hour (Kindle Edition)
I have not found a book so enjoyable and inspiring since reading Vikram Seth's "Suitable Boy". Nicholson's work is reminiscent of Seth's in that he has great tenderness and affection for his characters and all their flaws and foibles. He also manages to create a very intimate portrait of one small community and its members but at the same time we have a powerful sense of a whole nation at a particular point in time. This is not an easy thing to achieve. Seth did it, and Tolstoy and Solzhenitsyn did it. I am very proud that someone in this country is writing a 'condition of England' novel for us now. We need this kind of novel: highly intimate but also intellectual and philosophical, very down to earth but also highly spiritual. As a Catholic I strongly suspected that Nicholson was of my faith. I gather from his website that he is now lapsed. However from the caring tolerant kindliness which shines through his prose I sense that he retains far more of the faith than he realises.